The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Lewisy-boy
As to the question of what normal ppl have to put, I guess they want ppl who aren't just normal and have stuff. EVeryone will have something sporty or position of responsibility which gave them something good recently, if you don't have ANYTHING then ur not what they're looking for in a way, hence the question being there in the first place!

I don't think that's necessarily true at all. Of course it's important to show that you have interests beyond your degree, but I don't think a question like this is really asking for an achievement worthy of making the local paper. It's all about how you describe an achievement, so it really could be anything, as long as you're able to talk about what you had to do to, the work involved, skills developed etc - that has to be far more interesting than a sentence just saying that you've climbed Everest but with no further information. If you happen to have single-handedly navigated your way down a mountain in the fog with a group of schoolchildren in tow, that just makes choosing an achievement a bit easier!
Reply 41
dragon_1706
I don't think that's necessarily true at all. Of course it's important to show that you have interests beyond your degree, but I don't think a question like this is really asking for an achievement worthy of making the local paper. It's all about how you describe an achievement, so it really could be anything, as long as you're able to talk about what you had to do to, the work involved, skills developed etc - that has to be far more interesting than a sentence just saying that you've climbed Everest but with no further information. If you happen to have single-handedly navigated your way down a mountain in the fog with a group of schoolchildren in tow, that just makes choosing an achievement a bit easier!

This is essential. It just isn't enough to list what you've done (i.e. captain of rugby team, youngest conquerer of Everest) but what you learnt from it/what skills you've developed.

I've seen countless application forms where a potentially good candidate has just listed their achievements. But that on its own isn't enough - I'm not recruiting a rugby captain or mountaineer. I want a trainee lawyer. Show me why your rugby captaincy or mountaineering has taught you skills which will be helpful as that lawyer. Its not difficult to do, but it should be spelt out on the form.
Reply 42
Oh dear, I stupidly thought above average (but still not 2:1 standard) first year results would be ok. I currently feel like not bothering :frown:.
Reply 43
ciara
Oh dear, I stupidly thought above average (but still not 2:1 standard) first year results would be ok. I currently feel like not bothering :frown:.

Unfortunately, you need to consider what the average is country-wide.

It is still worth applying for vac schemes for plenty of reasons. Your grades are not the only thing they look at. If you have lots of other good stuff to show then that well sway them. Researching the firms and drafting the forms is excellent practice for when you do the training contract applications.

Be positive but realistic!
Reply 44
chalks
Unfortunately, you need to consider what the average is country-wide.

It is still worth applying for vac schemes for plenty of reasons. Your grades are not the only thing they look at. If you have lots of other good stuff to show then that well sway them. Researching the firms and drafting the forms is excellent practice for when you do the training contract applications.

Be positive but realistic!

I know I know, sounds ridiculous but I just assumed Bristol were harsh markers cos so many people did quite badly (a 53 average must be well below the national average!). I do have other stuff going for me and I will give it a go, I just feel very disheartened! Surely my first year marks will be a problem with TC applications as well?
Btw chalks when I was talking in my post I was referring to ppl who have no rugby captain, no mountaineering. Of course you can big those things up if you write correctly. Howver, the question related to if you had NOTHING to put there, and I was showing that if you genuinely had NOTHING to be proud of, no achievement, you probably have a not very good chance.
Reply 46
Onearmedbandit
So is a low 2.1 going to be a problem? :frown: Will they pay attention to the marks I've received in my essays so far this year?

A low 2:1 should probably be OK. "2:1" is the magic word.

How would they know what you got in your essays yet this year, is there a space on the form to tell them?! - I'd be surprised if there were. I shouldn't think you'll need to get into that.

Good luck.
Reply 47
ciara
I know I know, sounds ridiculous but I just assumed Bristol were harsh markers cos so many people did quite badly (a 53 average must be well below the national average!). I do have other stuff going for me and I will give it a go, I just feel very disheartened! Surely my first year marks will be a problem with TC applications as well?

They will look at the second year marks more closely for a TC, though with things getting more competitive all the time I suppose they could try and filter people by first year results also. But don't feel disheartened, concentrate on your strong points, aim for a 2:1 in the second year and see how you go.
Pointing out essay grades won't be available, unless they are full module grades... in which case you probabyl wont get the marks until january at the earliest (if it is a half year elective). I have also heard that some firms don't like a low 2:1, and look for a decent distance over the mark, so that the student is almost certain to get one. After all, they recruit when a whole year of degree is left and that is plenty time enough for a low 2:1 to become a high 2:2, which they wont like.
Kerrigan
How would they know what you got in your essays yet this year, is there a space on the form to tell them?! - I'd be surprised if there were. I shouldn't think you'll need to get into that.

I would be surprised to if there was a part on the form for essays marks. I thnk what he meant was that it was something that the personal tutor could refer to in his reference. It might be a good idea but also could be seen as scraping the barrel and as you have already stated a 2.1 is a 2.1 no matter how low it is. There will be a lot of people applying with a mid-high 2.2 remember.
They probably only pursue the reference after the inteview, if they're still interested in you.
Reply 51
Lewisy-boy
Pointing out essay grades won't be available, unless they are full module grades... in which case you probabyl wont get the marks until january at the earliest (if it is a half year elective). I have also heard that some firms don't like a low 2:1, and look for a decent distance over the mark, so that the student is almost certain to get one. After all, they recruit when a whole year of degree is left and that is plenty time enough for a low 2:1 to become a high 2:2, which they wont like.

Well, I suppose it depends... when I was at university only my third year counted for my final grade, so the firms were taking a view of my second year grade and how that looked for the third year when I was applying for TCs. So although I got a pretty good 2:1 in my second year and that looked good, it made no difference at all to my final grade (also a 2:1, off my third year results). I suppose a lot of places include the second year (and sometimes the first) in the final results now.
Everywhere uses second year modules toward the final grade, but only Oxford (as far as im aware) leave all their examining until the end of final year. Therefore although only your final year marks count, modules you did in 2nd year do, ultimately, count.
Reply 53
Perhaps a current Cambridge student can let me know whether the system has changed. When I was there Cambridge final degree grades were based on the score in Part II of the Tripos only. It' s my understanding that most subjects, including Law, had a 1-year Part II of the Tripos. Accordingly, only the third year counted towards the final grade, even though compulsory subjects were sat in the first and second year as well as the third year.
So let me get this ... second year could never detriment your grade? Sounds a bit soft, no offence. Were you not examined on your second year modules in your final year a la Oxford, so as to factor them in?
Reply 55
No, you take the exams in the subjects at the end of the year you spent studying them. Second year doesn't count towards the final grade at all. Some people thought it was harsh, seeing as they only had one set of exams to prove themselves; others, like me, preferred it.

It may have changed now (but I don't think so), perhaps someone will enlighten us!

One of my reasons for applying to Cambridge over Oxford was I did not like the idea of all those exams at the end of the third year... ugh.

No offence taken, I don't feel my Cambridge law degree is denigrated by being all off the third year :tongue:
Nah it's not, it's just an interesting system I wasn't aware of :biggrin:. Anyway, employers could feel free to take them into account even if they dont count, which is probably what they do in reality. I mean when ur applying for TC obviously, thereafter they will just take ur degree grade and references as the degree becomes less relevant and ur performance as a lawyer becomes moreso.
Reply 57
Yeah, when I was applying for TCs (about six years ago) they wanted to know the grades that you had up to that point in your exams, including a breakdown of the specific marks that you got in each subject.

When I was applying for NQ jobs (a year ago), my degree classification of 2:1 was enough detail!
chalks
This is essential. It just isn't enough to list what you've done (i.e. captain of rugby team, youngest conquerer of Everest) but what you learnt from it/what skills you've developed.

I've seen countless application forms where a potentially good candidate has just listed their achievements. But that on its own isn't enough - I'm not recruiting a rugby captain or mountaineer. I want a trainee lawyer. Show me why your rugby captaincy or mountaineering has taught you skills which will be helpful as that lawyer. Its not difficult to do, but it should be spelt out on the form.

What about when you only have 250 words? How much detail is wanted? I fear I've fallen into this trap ... :frown:
You should focus in on the skills you gained, for example you say "I was the rugby captain at my school, this allowed me to further my X, Y, Z. I also developed A, B and C because it involved D. I then did E, which gave me further skills and developed the aforementioned to an even further level." Not in those words, but you see what im getting at.

If achievements overlap in skills given, then simply mention them in passing ... or don't even mention some of the less relevant ones and focus on the main ones wich allow you to elaborate the best points cogently. Oh and some have limits of only 150, 200 or even 100 words.. so get used to be able to axe the waffle :wink:.

Latest

Trending

Trending