The Student Room Group

Are these good A levels?

I have to choose my options soon and i was considering taking
Law
Film studies
Biology
Chemistry
i want to know if these options will give me a wide range of options into uni as well as give me jobs that i possibly want as i am interested in law or a job related to movies along with forensics. What do you guys think or what would you guys suggest and how difficult would it be doing these A levels?
You'll have a pretty easy time since law and film studies are considered soft subjects...
Have an essay based/ written A-level in there like History or English Literature in place of law.
Reply 2
Law and film studies aren't highly regarded. Like the previous poster said, an essay subject would be better for you and then film studies if you really wanted to do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by mliela
Law and film studies aren't highly regarded. Like the previous poster said, an essay subject would be better for you and then film studies if you really wanted to do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, which essay based subject would you suggest? i know english is a good one along with geography however i am not sure:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Shor05
Thanks, which essay based subject would you suggest? i know english is a good one along with geography however i am not sure:smile:

I do economics at the moment and I really enjoy it. It's also depends on what you do at GCSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just beware that when people say Film Studies is easy they tell the truth, but when they say it's easy to get a good grade they lie. In my experience the main difference between it and more respected essay subjects is that standard of teaching is a lot lower because of the expected level of student, no Oxbridge applicants etc. It definitely didn't teach me the skills I would have needed for my A*, I got that from my other essay subjects.
Original post by Shor05

English Lit is the obvious one, it's really transferrable, but if you wanted something a little different don't discount Religious Studies, it was a really interesting and stretching essay based A Level for me.
Reply 6
Hey,
I think it's quite hard to say if A-levels are 'good'. Obviously, you need to choose those A-levels that are compatible with what you want to do in the future. Remember that everyone is different; those who say a certain subject is easy, others may struggle with - it depends on how much effort you out into in and whether you enjoy it enough to try hard.
For Law, I agree with the others in that you need an essay-based subject - my friend just got into Law at Queen Mary's and she did English language, Psychology and Sociology. Chemistry and Biology will certainly open more doors for you but it's worth having an idea of what you want to get into so you'll have something to aim towards when doing the A-levels. I personally wouldn't choose Law as an A-level - I'd probably swap it for English Lit/Lang but it's upto you. Do some thorough research of what you want to do and what the universities requirements are so you meet the criteria.
Good luck! :smile:
That is a decent combination but why would you choose something so random like Film Studies?

Quick Reply

Latest