The Student Room Group

Start work at alevel??

I have been thinking about weather I will get a part time job when I start my a level but I'm not so sure as it may put me on stress and pressure but on the other hand I want to save money up for uni
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get more responses. :redface: Hopefully someone will be able to get back to you :h:
Reply 2
same here! im wondering whether getting tuition having a job and doing a levels will be too much but i hope not because i think i will need tuition and i too want money to save for uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Applezainab
I have been thinking about weather I will get a part time job when I start my a level but I'm not so sure as it may put me on stress and pressure but on the other hand I want to save money up for uni

Okay, I have a friend who started working as soon as she started a-levels (last September - yes we're in year 13, but my friend failed) - you may ask me why she failed? Well the answer is quite obvious. She had gotten a part time job at Next and would always work after school 2 days a week and full-time during the weekend. Her reason for working is the same as yours to be honest - to save up for uni expenses and etc. But, whilst she was working part time, she couldn't find any time for revision. She did do a couple of hours of revision, but they were during her free periods at sixthform. Although she's naturally smart, she did accounting, sociology and psychology as her a-levels and ended up with grades DEE due to the lack of revision she did! Obviously to progress to year 13 you need grades DDD and because my friend achieved DEE, she wasn't allowed back and therefore was advised to leave and go somewhere. Now she's at a different sixthform redoing her a-levels from scratch, and this time, she has not got a part time job. She's doing so well too! In her recent mock exams she achieved BBB, I'm so proud of her!

SO now, ask yourself... do you really want to go through all that pressure?
I wouldn't do it, but I guess it depends on how many subjects you take, how good you are at studying and what grades you're happy with.

Also BBB's good? Haven't heard that before.
I'm AS and work a lot on weekends.
The key is make up that time during the week, I revise from around 7:30-10:30 each night.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Applezainab

I'm currently in A2 and don't have a job and I don't want a job because it will impact my grades. There are so many people in my classes who have part time jobs and also learning/ have learnt to drive and they're the ones who scrape through with E's and D's and risk being thrown out.
I think if you want a job maybe just work one or two days a week, but I wouldn't suggest it. You could get a christmas job, or half term jobs if you want to save money. :smile::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest