The Student Room Group

Do "All men oppress women"?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Academic Bruv
I'm studying sociology at university and today in my lecture on gender stratification my lecturer stated " All men oppress women under a system of patriachy".

As a man myself I definately do not discrimante agaisnt or oppress women, of course there are certain challenges that face both men and women due to their sex, however it is as unfair and predjuced to say "All muslims are terrorists" as it is to say "All men oppress women".

And to think you're paying £9,000 a year for that bull****
Anybody notice how, when one suggests that the Patriarchy doesn't exist, the immediate response of Feminists is to 'school' you, rather than to ask for your argument and criticize it?

I suspect that, in general they tend to have accepted this dogma without argument, and therefore feel that anyone who denies it, denies it only because they haven't seen what they have. Silly silly silly.
Reply 42
Original post by tomfailinghelp
Anybody notice how, when one suggests that the Patriarchy doesn't exist, the immediate response of Feminists is to 'school' you, rather than to ask for your argument and criticize it?

I suspect that, in general they tend to have accepted this dogma without argument, and therefore feel that anyone who denies it, denies it only because they haven't seen what they have.
No, it's because they're the ones that have rumbled us and discovered we are all in secret league against them.

Are you coming to Friday's Patriarchists meeting, BTW? This week's topic is "How to make the chicks diet even harder, to free up more beer money".
Original post by Simes
No, it's because they're the ones that have rumbled us and discovered we are all in secret league against them.

Are you coming to Friday's Patriarchists meeting, BTW? This week's topic is "How to make the chicks diet even harder, to free up more beer money".

DUDE, don't you remember? Some idiot taught them to read. They've got us now.
Reply 44
Original post by tomfailinghelp
DUDE, don't you remember? Some idiot taught them to read. They've got us now.
:eek: ***T! I thought that was just so they could use the microwave?

At least they can't vote! Just imagine! :rolleyes:
Reply 45
I'm studying sociology at university

This is your mistake
Original post by SnooFnoo
Data for this?

or is this your personal "beta" judgement?

The patriarchy sucks for men and women. Men should be allowed to do and like anything just as women should be too. Until that happens people will still fight for gender equality.

Unless of course it disagrees with feminist values.

Just fyi. we are allowed to do what we want within the law and we can like whatever the hell we want to.. this isn't North Korea.
Reply 47
I'm studying sociology at university and today in my lecture on gender stratification my lecturer stated " All men oppress women under a system of patriachy".

Was this in relation to a sociological theory? Perhaps feminism?
Or his personal views?

As a man myself I definately do not discrimante agaisnt or oppress women, of course there are certain challenges that face both men and women due to their sex, however it is as unfair and predjuced to say "All muslims are terrorists" as it is to say "All men oppress women".

Haha I had numerous arguements with my lecturer at staffordshire uni about this.....

Look up some facts and next time they say something that sexist have some lines thought up....

And tbh that's what it is, sexist, ask them if they also think all men are rapist's.
That is nonsense. Saying that all men oppress women is extremely sexist. Men are all different, just like how women are all different. This is clearly a hasty generalisation to make. A few men don't represent the entirety of men.

Women who generalise against men like this are not feminists, although many say they are. Feminists believe in the equality of all sexes (so there are many male feminists too). This is the exact same kind of thinking that lead to sexism against women. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
not in the West they don't
" All men oppress women under a system of patriachy".

This is the sexist premise on which feminist ideology is based.

Just out of curiosity, did anyone challenge what she said or did you all sit there and say nothing?

Original post by Nerry
not in the West they don't

not anywhere they don't. this is a sexist view. dont accept it. challenge it.

[video="youtube;HBIWYGoi5YM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBIWYGoi5YM[/video]
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SnooFnoo
Until that happens people will still fight for gender equality.

I think you may have misunderstood. This debate is about whether one sex, men (human males), oppresses the other, women (human females).

Gender studies can be found in another place, where this week's debate is whether a female human self-identifying as a USB cable is permitted to insert herself into a 240 volt mains socket and, if so, what declension might be appropriate.

Actually as a male you contribute to the systems by not actively opposing them and looking to break down the social constructs that enforce them, it's not about 'all men' as a black and white statement as any feminist will tell you. Unfortunately that argument is a total load of claptrap as well.

Rather than go into detail I'll simply make a few points to contradict that;
(a) Assuming patriarchy why are men expected to approach women and deal with the rejection like a gentleman? Wouldn't a patriarchy demand not request?
(b) There argument is actually treating adults like children. These equally capable women can't reach the top because men are holding them down which means (i) they're not equal by some measure because a group of equal size can suppress them; and (ii) Women are incapable of fighting for themselves and need 'male allies' and 'males' to change it for them. Note they don't specify any way a man can be more efficient in this process than a woman ie a celebrity is more influential than a pleb due to their following, this is objective, so where is the same principle in the male/female divide?
(c) Why would a patriarchy allow feminism? Why would a society run by males for males allow women to complain about males running things and have men drawn in to this mindset? Would a colonial power allow its foreign subjects to have 'free independence' movements and allow its soldiers to join them? Why would it allow a feminist pm (May) or a woman pm at all (Thatcher).
(d) How is gender stereotypes an oppressive thing? You don't have to adhere to them. Stereotypes are born out of actual reality but that doesn't mean you have to fit the mould of the majority as people have proved from Joan of Arc to Calamity Jane, to Rhonda Rousey and Florence Nightingale.
(e) Assuming equality of opportunity, the outcome is irrelevant. In a meritocratic society, demonstrate where equality of opportunity isn't afforded by gender alone (without using class, for example most political personalities are etonians and/or oxbridge but that isn't gender based)
TL: DR

Welcome to radical third wave feminist, cultural marxist, misandrist, indoctrination. Thank you for your £9k, now shut up and know your place on the progressive stack, you cis-straight male patriarch scum!!! #IBathInMaleTears, #KillAllMen !!!

When she brings up the importance of diversity and how it is our strength as she inevitably will be sure to ask her what percentage of sociology lecturers hold even mildly right wing views or votes conservative.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 56

Although I don't agree that all men discriminate against women, I am learning sociology too (but at GCSE level). I am learning about Marxist feminists and they believe that all men oppress women, but they only focus on one area within society and other feminists (Radicals and liberals) hold opposing views.
I am currently in sixth form, and I currently get very offensive language from people regarding my gender, however it is only a very small minority. Thus represented within society but people generalise all men.
Reply 57
Original post by DiddyDec
I have been struggling to hit my oppression quota, does anyone have any tips on how I can increases my oppression?

Next time you feel the glass ceiling needs a bit of a clean, instead of doing it yourself get a woman to do it. If this is already the case you can go further and force her to wear sexy lingerie whilst she does it :wink:
Original post by plasmaman
And to think you're paying £9,000 a year for that bull****

STEM should go back to t grants and Sociology fees should be trebled to pay for it. 👍😁
Original post by GonvilleBromhead
Actually as a male you contribute to the systems by not actively opposing them and looking to break down the social constructs that enforce them, it's not about 'all men' as a black and white statement as any feminist will tell you. Unfortunately that argument is a total load of claptrap as well.

Rather than go into detail I'll simply make a few points to contradict that;
(a) Assuming patriarchy why are men expected to approach women and deal with the rejection like a gentleman? Wouldn't a patriarchy demand not request?
(b) There argument is actually treating adults like children. These equally capable women can't reach the top because men are holding them down which means (i) they're not equal by some measure because a group of equal size can suppress them; and (ii) Women are incapable of fighting for themselves and need 'male allies' and 'males' to change it for them. Note they don't specify any way a man can be more efficient in this process than a woman ie a celebrity is more influential than a pleb due to their following, this is objective, so where is the same principle in the male/female divide?
(c) Why would a patriarchy allow feminism? Why would a society run by males for males allow women to complain about males running things and have men drawn in to this mindset? Would a colonial power allow its foreign subjects to have 'free independence' movements and allow its soldiers to join them? Why would it allow a feminist pm (May) or a woman pm at all (Thatcher).
(d) How is gender stereotypes an oppressive thing? You don't have to adhere to them. Stereotypes are born out of actual reality but that doesn't mean you have to fit the mould of the majority as people have proved from Joan of Arc to Calamity Jane, to Rhonda Rousey and Florence Nightingale.
(e) Assuming equality of opportunity, the outcome is irrelevant. In a meritocratic society, demonstrate where equality of opportunity isn't afforded by gender alone (without using class, for example most political personalities are etonians and/or oxbridge but that isn't gender based)

Get out of here with your facts and stats.😠

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending