The Student Room Group

Rescued from a forced marriage in Pakistan

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Skip_Snip
"Their women"? Aren't they their own individuals?

Moral relativism is worse than religion when it comes to justifying the most horrendous things.

Also perhaps we should focus on the forced marriages in the UK first, we have imported this culture and partly because of it some 75%+ Muslims are married to their first cousins in Bradford.
Original post by JohnCrichton89

Also perhaps we should focus on the forced marriages in the UK first, we have imported this culture and partly because of it some 75%+ Muslims are married to their first cousins in Bradford.

How can they be remotely interested in sleeping together? Certain cultures really need to look at themselves.
Original post by Karinka
I found this docu really interesting - and I must admit that if I was a 19 yo Pakistani British girl and my parents said 'hey let's go visit the rellies in Pakistan this summer' I think I would defo smell a rat. I did think it was good that they have a charity giving talks in assembly to the pupils of multi cultural schools to raise awareness of this practise - without doubt, education and awareness is the best way to bring about social change.

See visiting relatives wouldn't be a red flag in itself as this is quite common. Many Pakistanis go visit family and usually it doesn't result in a forced marriage. Also the girls/boys are often quite young and naturally very trusting of their parents. I remember reading a story about a 16 year girl and her parents said they were taking her to Pakistan as a well done for her GCSE results. At the time she didn't suspect a thing but once she got there she was isolated and forced to marry a guy much older than her. I agree education and greater awareness of forced marriage is key along with trying to prevent those at risk of leaving the UK in the first place.
Backwards Country is well and truly backwards absolutely no argument.
Original post by Veggiechic6
Well, if a parent's unconditional love for their daughter can't overcome all these issues, it's a very sorry state of affairs indeed. I also would have thought that in these families, most likely the mother would have also had a forced marriage when she was younger. You'd think she'd empathize and do what it took to stop her daughter going through the same experience. As an outsider looking in, I find it very hard to understand, it's at odds with my understanding of love and family.

You need to watch some Hindi/Urdu dramas exactly the same nonsense.
The problem is that some of them think they are doing the right thing.....truth is that they are so into the mentality of what others think, its become their main priority about pleasing others. They see this as a good thing and that somehow its good for their child.

But our generation doesn't care at all about what others think. Its still quite dominate, again it depends on the family and their background and roots.
Original post by Skip_Snip
How can they be remotely interested in sleeping together? Certain cultures really need to look at themselves.

Sometimes they aren't, that's why it's called an arranged (forced) marriage

Quick Reply

Latest