The Student Room Group

Only people that got law firm offers from my class were:

all white. With the same grades and experience as the rest of us. We graduated in 2013. Not one ethnic minority afaik has had an offer from my class. What does that tell you about law firms?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tom_Ford
all white. With the same grades and experience as the rest of us. We graduated in 2013. Not one ethnic minority afaik has had an offer from my class. What does that tell you about law firms?

Your class is far too small a sample size to draw valid conclusions regarding the national recruitment decisions of firms.
Reply 2
Original post by DailyMailIsALiar
Your class is far too small a sample size to draw valid conclusions regarding the national recruitment decisions of firms.

All 150 of them? Really? I'd say it is a pretty good indication that these firms are ****ing racist. Or how about Allen and Overy's cohort this year? Eye spied with my little eye, one token from each ethnic minority and it's ok? So full of ****ing bull****.
Reply 3
ethnic minorities are bad at interviews
Reply 4
Every interview I went to was like 80% girls. What does that tell you?
All 150 of them? Really? I'd say it is a pretty good indication that these firms are ****ing racist. Or how about Allen and Overy's cohort this year? Eye spied with my little eye, one token from each ethnic minority and it's ok? So full of ****ing bull****.

How many of the 150 in your class were of ethnic minorities?
Reply 6
Original post by jakeel1
ethnic minorities are bad at interviews

Or the interviewer just does not want to hire a 'coloured' person, straight off.
Reply 7
How many of the 150 in your class were of ethnic minorities?

A fifth. The fact you downplay this is a disgrace.
Reply 8
Original post by Clip
Every interview I went to was like 80% girls. What does that tell you?

women never shut up

hashtag (key doesnt work) patriarchy

so 30 ppl + interviews, not to mention theyre black...

And what university did you go to, if you don't mind me asking so I can get an idea of the firms recruiting there.

P.S. I'm not downplaying it, i'm just questioning whether it's just a one off or is it possibly a national trend.

I also study Law by the way.
Grades and experience is only part of it. I'm not quite at the same level as some of the ultra-geniuses in my school year and sometimes I feel like I'm slightly obscured by their insane aptitude and raw mental prowess.

But I decided not to go for Maths, Physics and Chemistry for my A-levels, unlike half of my entire year. I went with Maths, Physics and Drama, and made some unique points about my interest in drama and ballroom dance in my personal statement.

I've now got three offers, one of which is unconditional. Meanwhile, the masses generic Maths-Physics-Chemistry personal statement: "I like maths; I want to be a scientist" are being swamped out by each other.

It's not just about 'grades and experience'. Universities care a lot of about personality, character and what an individual can bring to the table that sets them apart from others. You can't really draw a conclusion from that small a sample size. In order for it to truly have been a fair test, everyone in your class would've had to have been exactly the same person, apart from their colour.

Schools bang on about how 'grades are all universities care about'. Whilst it's what they look at first, and it's what they devise offers by, I think one of the most important assets of all is individuality.
Reply 11
And what university did you go to, if you don't mind me asking so I can get an idea of the firms recruiting there.

P.S. I'm not downplaying it, i'm just questioning whether it's just a one off or is it possibly a national trend.

I also study Law by the way.

No, I am not helping you.
Reply 12
Original post by sjgriffiths
Grades and experience is only part of it. I'm not quite at the same level as some of the ultra-geniuses in my school year and sometimes I feel like I'm slightly obscured by their insane aptitude and raw mental prowess.

But I decided not to go for Maths, Physics and Chemistry for my A-levels, unlike half of my entire year. I went with Maths, Physics and Drama, and made some unique points about my interest in drama and ballroom dance in my personal statement.

I've now got three offers, one of which is unconditional. Meanwhile, the masses generic Maths-Physics-Chemistry personal statement: "I like maths; I want to be a scientist" are being swamped out by each other.

It's not just about 'grades and experience'. Universities care a lot of about personality, character and what an individual can bring to the table that sets them apart from others. You can't really draw a conclusion from that small a sample size. In order for it to truly have been a fair test, everyone in your class would've had to have been exactly the same person, apart from their colour.

Schools bang on about how 'grades are all universities care about'. Whilst it's what they look at first, and it's what they devise offers by, I think one of the most important assets of all is individuality.

Yeah, and colour is the other. My cousin is a partner and he said the same. FYI, he was a partner of Eversheds. The amount of **** he had to put up with to get to where he is was far more than a white person endured. He is a one in a million though, truly exceptional talent.
I'm not surprised. It will be like this for a long time.
not surprised but all your application must have been different so perhaps there is an explanation?
No, I am not helping you.

I was trying to help you, I study at Oxford by the way so I wouldn't need your help regarding academic matters or finding recruitment anyway.

This certainly makes an interesting read:

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2010/dec/17/city-law-firms-diversity-figures

Seems like firms are doing more to recruit from minorities.

Perhaps you need to stop grovelling because of your rejection and change your attitude if you expect success.
(edited 9 years ago)
I study at Oxford by the way so I wouldn't need help regarding academic matters anyway.

That's nice, please tell me about how going to Oxford is a prequisite for being an expert in everything academic.
Original post by sjgriffiths

Blurring the boundaries between EC and academic helps no one but yourself feel good about your underachievement.

So you did drama? How does your dancing like a ballerina help you to solve equations?
Reply 18
I was trying to help you, I study at Oxford by the way so I wouldn't need help regarding academic matters anyway.

This certainly makes an interesting read:

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2010/dec/17/city-law-firms-diversity-figures

Seems like firms are doing more to recruit from minorities.

Perhaps you need to stop grovelling because of your rejection and change your attitude if you expect success.

I don't expect anything, I don't feel entitled to anything. But when white people are getting a leg up and then have the audacity to say others are complaining for their rejections... it is infuriating.

Then again, what I have seen in my experiences make sense. White people live in a perpetual and irrational fear. You cannot prove this with statistics as you insist on, but what you can see in front of you in real life does not lie.
Reply 19
Original post by Remedium
That's nice, please tell me about how going to Oxford is a prequisite for being an expert in everything academic.

I am sorry but, with such behaviour, you shouldn't be so perplexed as to why you, personally, didn't get an offer.

Quick Reply

Latest