The Student Room Group

Skwill's Growing His Grades!

Hi everyone,

My name is Will (or Skwill on TSR) and I'm in year 12 doing AS levels at the moment. I study Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Psychology.

My Mock Grades:

Biology: D
Chemistry: U
Physics: D
Psychology: B (memory and research methods: B - 1 off an A Attachment and research methods: C - 2 marks off a B)

Mock Resit Grades:

Biology: C
Chemistry: ???
Physics: D
Psychology: N/A (since I'm not resitting it)

My Target Grades:

Biology: A
Chemistry: A/B
Physics: B/C
Psychology: A

As you can see, I've got a bit of work to do before I hit my targets but I'm confident I can do it!

I'll try and keep this blog updated as and when I can :smile:

Thanks for taking your time to read through!
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Today's Update (28/01/2015)

Today I've finished my catching up from the lessons I missed on Monday (due to illness).

I have also done some practice on SUVAT equations in Physics and some Psychology homework... Not as much as I would've liked to get done but it's still something :smile:

I think my main problem today was procrastination so I will be working on that in future.

I hopefully get my mark for the memory and research methods section of the Psychology mock tomorrow and I'll be doing the second half of Psychology mock on Friday (the attachment section) so I'll be revising for that tomorrow.
Reply 2
Update: 30th January

Today I received my chemistry grade back and bad news, I got 32% which means I got a U :frown: I didn't revise for this mock or really prepare so I'm not hugely surprised... On to better news... I got a B in the memory and research methods section of my psychology mock (I was 1 mark off an A :biggrin: ) - I did the attachment and research methods section today and felt that it went fairly well, hopefully another B or worst case, a C since I do think it went slightly worse than the memory and research methods section.

The chemistry result has kind of put a "downer" on today, however, at least it can only really get better :smile:

I've made a revision timetable today and I'm going to put more effort into my studies as I now realise the importance of my extra work and the consequences of not doing enough work.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Weekend Update: 31st Jan - 1st Feb

Saturday I got some homework done and did some chemistry revision.
Sunday I got more homework done and did some biology revision.

Not really got anything else to write about this weekend!

Tomorrow I plan on finishing my homework and reviewing the work I do in lesson.
Reply 4
Update: 2nd Feb

Ok, so I got my homework done and I reviewed the work I've done today... I used my frees for biology and chemistry revision. It felt quite nice to know that I've done my work today instead of feeling guilty that I hadn't done much :smile:
Reply 5
Attachment Result and my Work for Today:

So, I got a C for the attachment section of my psychology mock and I was 2 marks off a B so my psychology grade overall averages out to a solid B which I'm very confident I can bring up to an A for the summer exams with some exam practice.

In terms of my work/revision today, I've done 1 hour of physics, an hour of biology and an hour of chemistry and I reviewed my psychology classwork.

Any revision tips for any of my subjects are welcome!
Reply 6
Update for Yesterday and Today (4th and 5th of Feb)
4th of February Update (Apologies for the unimaginative titles

Ok, so yesterday I did 4 hours work (including some homework).
I also got my biology resit grade! (I'll make a separate section for the mock resit grades in the OP)
My memory of what I did yesterday isn't great so that's all I can really say about it :tongue:

5th of February

Today, I did 2 hours of psychology work/revision, I did physics at lunch for an hour as I needed help on some mechanics questions from my teacher.
Reply 7
6th, 7th and 8th

So on friday I got a few hours work done, the same goes for saturday but I got less work done as I was out for most of the day. On sunday (8th) I caught up with the work I didn't do on saturday and did 2 - and a bit hours after that.

(I did email Puddles my grades from my mocks yesterday so if they need re-sending then please notify me via PM).
This post is to confirm that Skwill's grades have been verified! :banana: :banana2: :banana:
Reply 9
12th Feb

Haven't posted on this in a few days so just thought I'd share what I did today...

Ok, so today I haven't really done very much, just some homework and a little revision (anti-climactic much :tongue:)

In other news, I got an A on an end of topic test for chemistry (88% even though it was only bonding and shapes of molecules which is fairly simple)

I will try and make posts a little more detailed/ consistent in future if... I remember to :smile:
Original post by Skwill
12th Feb

Haven't posted on this in a few days so just thought I'd share what I did today...

Ok, so today I haven't really done very much, just some homework and a little revision (anti-climactic much :tongue:)

In other news, I got an A on an end of topic test for chemistry (88% even though it was only bonding and shapes of molecules which is fairly simple)

I will try and make posts a little more detailed/ consistent in future if... I remember to :smile:

Congratulations on your A! :smile: You must be chuffed :h: :dumbells:

Do you have any plans for half term? :woo:
Reply 11
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Congratulations on your A! :smile: You must be chuffed :h: :dumbells:

Do you have any plans for half term? :woo:

Thanks, I was pretty happy when I found that I got an A (mentally, I was like :cool:) My teacher did say that I could do really well, it just depended on how much work I actually put in... which was definitely true since I had only been doing the bare minimum up until mocks!

For half term I intend to get my homework out of the way quickly and then finish my unit 1 revision notes, if I get through that then I intend to start making unit 2 revision notes... That should keep me busy despite being out on a few days :yep:

I've also started to learn to play guitar again, so I'm going to try and fit that into my spare time where I can :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Haven't updated in 2 weeks so here goes...

In half term I only really got my homework done, so now I'm playing catch up on making the notes... Today's plan is to do homework and then get some chemistry and physics revision out of the way since my chemistry resit is on monday and my physics resit is on thursday.

I've also got my biology practical for part of my EMPA on wednesday so I need to prepare for that.

Only 72 days until my first exam (if you're including today) and now is crunch time :dumbells:
Reply 13
A Weekend's Work

Ok, so, yesterday I got my physics, biology and 1 of my 3 psychology pieces of homework done followed by chemistry and physics revision.

Today I did my chemistry homework (energetics questions) and the 2nd piece of psychology homework plus chemistry and physics revision - this leaves me one piece left of hwk for tomorrow provided that I don't get any more.

Chemistry resit tomorrow which I'm feeling quite prepared for, I'll report back tomorrow about that.

Physics I'm feeling less prepared for mainly due to the fact that I'm not the greatest at the electricity stuff, tbh it probably just needs some practice.

Biology EMPA on wednesday should be fine, just needs some revision/ practice of EMPA questions etc.
Reply 14
Summary for Today

Chemistry resit went well - paper seemed easier than the one we did in the 1st mock (though that could be due to revision and past paper practice).

Today I got my remaining homework done so now I can focus on revision (until I get more homework that is).

More revision tomorrow - mainly for the biology EMPA practical (since it comes with questions) and the physics resit.
Reply 15
Quick summary of today...

I had a general studies mock today which went well... I got some biology revision done today in prep for tomorrow.

Tomorrow, physics revision for the unit 1 stuff... mostly electricity since it's my weakest area in physics.
Reply 16
Recap of the past 2 days

Wednesday: Biology EMPA practical out of the way, did homework for most of the night...

Today (Thursday): Physics resit went well (or at least I think it did anyways :tongue:), got some homework done since I've been given a fair bit over the past 2 days or so.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Friday

On Friday I did some biology and physics homework, a bit of review work and not much else.

Saturday

Yesterday I got some psychology work done.

Sunday

Okay, so today I got some chemistry work done and organised my work (sheets, notes etc) from the past week.

Plan for tomorrow

Get some more chemistry done (since the homework is quite big).

Still gotta do my unit 1 notes so I will actually make a start on that this week - the only thing that has really delayed it more is that after doing homework on a night, I just don't end up doing much (if any) more work... This is why I'm going to make more effective use of my frees and do homework the day I get it where possible... Which is what I should've been doing for a while now but oh well :tongue:
Reply 18
Haven't updated in a week... wow where did the time go?

Pretty much just homework and revision this week, I'm only going to make the revision notes for psychology since there are many studies to remember and we're only about 8 weeks from exams (I have made a start on them this week) in place of doing the notes for the other subjects I'll just do past papers and get used to exam questions since my exam technique needs work, then the areas I get wrong I'll see what I got wrong and revise if need be. Got a D on my unit 1 physics mock resit, so no improvement but at least I'm staying consistent. As for my chemistry resit result, I'm still waiting on that...
Reply 19
Easter Holidays so far...

Last saturday marked the start of the easter holidays for me (on friday I was doing a first aid course), on the friday I organised my physics notes into my main folder. Saturday and Sunday I did nothing (I counted that as my holiday), for most days of this easter I will be doing 6 hours work (like I did yesterday and today), I say 'for most days' because some days I will have to go out so I will be doing less on those days but I will be doing more work on others to counteract this.

Since all my homework is past papers, I'm just going to get that out of the way with first and then do other past papers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending