The Student Room Group

Whats the best Revision Tips for Psychology A Level

I'm studying aqa Psychology A PSYA4, there 3 section for the first section my just trying to learn my 10 model answers, but whats the best way to revise for the second section (I'm studying Media) and Research methods,

It feels like there so much to learn but not enough time, and just dont know where to start

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,

I studied the exact same course a couple of years ago. My advice would be to revise in a way which helps you best. For example, if you remember things better from information being colour-coded, organised in mindmaps, etc then it would be beneficial for you to study in that way.

That being said, I revised my model answers by writing the key points on a powerpoint, printed them off, and then just sat and memorised the information while writing the key information out over and over again. I can't remember that well, but I'm sure in the essay you have to include things like AO1, AO2, AO3, so I would sort them out into AO1 (four key points), AO2 (4 key points) and so on. Of course, I included the names of the people who did the studies as well.

Good luck and all the best :smile:
Original post by jenny07
Hi,

I studied the exact same course a couple of years ago. My advice would be to revise in a way which helps you best. For example, if you remember things better from information being colour-coded, organised in mindmaps, etc then it would be beneficial for you to study in that way.

That being said, I revised my model answers by writing the key points on a powerpoint, printed them off, and then just sat and memorised the information while writing the key information out over and over again. I can't remember that well, but I'm sure in the essay you have to include things like AO1, AO2, AO3, so I would sort them out into AO1 (four key points), AO2 (4 key points) and so on. Of course, I included the names of the people who did the studies as well.

Good luck and all the best :smile:

What do you think the best way to revise research methods
Reply 3
Original post by Audiology-Med
What do you think the best way to revise research methods

I made a powerpoint slide of the Research Methods topic as well which included key terminology with definitions. As for the questions they might ask you, I would recommend doing past papers to get used to the style of questions, as well as to focus on the style of answers they want.
Original post by jenny07
I made a powerpoint slide of the Research Methods topic as well which included key terminology with definitions. As for the questions they might ask you, I would recommend doing past papers to get used to the style of questions, as well as to focus on the style of answers they want.

I'm going through the past papers and making model answers for some of the definitions and 5 or maker questions, would you be able to send me the power point please :smile:
Simple psychology is a good website and always look at mark schemes!
Original post by hycurrie
Simple psychology is a good website and always look at mark schemes!

Thanks I'll check that out, I'm using the mark scheme to make model answers for things like content analysis and writing set of standardised instructions, Iv gone over my AS research methods so i really just need to get my end around the statistical tests and probability kind of stuff
I have a revision book too its pretty good too its the cgp one they aren't expensive and i find they are good for revision.. well they should be considering they are revision guides
I have a revision book too its pretty good too its the cgp one they aren't expensive and i find they are good for revision.. well they should be considering they are revision guides

are you doing A2 or AS and is the research method in them books explained really well
are you doing A2 or AS and is the research method in them books explained really well

I do AS and it is all explained well.. well i think so anyway its clearly laid out i like it and it helps a lot for me
Reply 10
I'm studying PSYA4 Addiction and Schizophrenia and PSYA3 Eating, Aggression and Relationships. Is anyone else doing the same? :smile:
I do AS and it is all explained well.. well i think so anyway its clearly laid out i like it and it helps a lot for me

I bought the A2 book on kindle and I really like it for research methods bit, its really good and well explained, my stress levels are reducing thankfully ;p
Original post by caple96
I'm studying PSYA4 Addiction and Schizophrenia and PSYA3 Eating, Aggression and Relationships. Is anyone else doing the same? :smile:

on PSYA4 I'm doing schizophrenia and I have already done my PSYA3 exam last year and got an A* in that and did aggression and eating topics
Reply 13
Original post by caple96

I'm doing~

PSYA3: Aggression, Gender and Relationships
PSYA4: Schizophrenia and Addiction + Research Methods

:biggrin:
The only way I'm revising for essay questions, is to memorise essay plans and to revise for research methods, do past papers :cool:
Original post by Bruno26
I'm doing~

PSYA3: Aggression, Gender and Relationships
PSYA4: Schizophrenia and Addiction + Research Methods

:biggrin:
The only way I'm revising for essay questions, is to memorise essay plans and to revise for research methods, do past papers :cool:

haha thats what i did for my Psya3 exam and it worked , I'm hoping it will work out for my Psya4 exam this time round
Reply 15
haha thats what i did for my Psya3 exam and it worked , I'm hoping it will work out for my Psya4 exam this time round

Only problem is there's a lot of content, but as long as we understand it as a whole and know a bunch of researchers, we should be fine, as you could basically make up the IDA's :smile:
Original post by Bruno26
Only problem is there's a lot of content, but as long as we understand it as a whole and know a bunch of researchers, we should be fine, as you could basically make up the IDA's :smile:

Yeah, I know for like 3 months straight I was keep on writing out my model answers, IDA are general so yeah you can make them up, also you could even make up research if it fits the content if you can't remember what else to right, I wouldn't recommend it but if you need to add extra things in and got time :tongue: lol, I did do it for one of my essay questions because I never revised that topic that well, I thought I would of failed to be honest but still got 95/100 :smile:
Reply 17
Yeah, I know for like 3 months straight I was keep on writing out my model answers, IDA are general so yeah you can make them up, also you could even make up research if it fits the content if you can't remember what else to right, I wouldn't recommend it but if you need to add extra things in and got time :tongue: lol, I did do it for one of my essay questions because I never revised that topic that well, I thought I would of failed to be honest but still got 95/100 :smile:

Hahaha! That's amazing! I remember making up a researcher's name and a random experiment that fits in with attachments last year for AS Mocks, because I didn't revise it and I got the question right! Although, I didn't make up any researchers in the real exam...its too risky! I can never get 24 marks on my essay questions :frown: My highest so far is 17/24.... Have you ever gotten 24 marks? or above 20??
Reply 18
Original post by caple96

I'm also doing Eating, Aggression and Relationships xD
Reply 19
Original post by Bruno26
Hahaha! That's amazing! I remember making up a researcher's name and a random experiment that fits in with attachments last year for AS Mocks, because I didn't revise it and I got the question right! Although, I didn't make up any researchers in the real exam...its too risky! I can never get 24 marks on my essay questions :frown: My highest so far is 17/24.... Have you ever gotten 24 marks? or above 20??

If you got 17/24 in the 3 essays in one unit, that would get you an A* :smile: Last year grade boundaries were 50/72 for an A*.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending