The Student Room Group

Horrible interview, but got an offer?

Just wanted to know if anyone has experienced this before? Please do share your story!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Yep I've! My worst interview was at my current med school, which was the one that gave me my first (and only) offer. =]
(...and the place I thought I performed best rejected me first...ironically xD)

I think sometimes, looking beyond your objective performance at interview, how well your personality, learning style and suitability may have quite an influence on your outcome as well. It's certainly the case with my med school anyway I think. =]
(my interview wasn't "awful", but wasn't stellar either, but I think what was lucky with me is that my soft skills and personality showed across and they happen to be the things my med school looked for :smile:).
Reply 2
Original post by Nimbus
Yep I've! My worst interview was at my current med school, which was the one that gave me my first (and only) offer. =]

I think sometimes, looking beyond your objective performance at interview, how well your personality, learning style and suitability may have quite an influence on your outcome as well. It's certainly the case with my med school anyway I think. =]
(my interview wasn't "awful", but wasn't stellar either, but I think what was lucky with me is that my soft skills and personality showed across and they happen to be the things my med school looked for :smile:).

Ah that's fantastic! Congrats :smile: May I ask what would you have rated your overall interview from a scale of 1 to 10?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by ps1265A
Ah that's fantastic! Congrats :smile: May I ask what would you have rated your overall interview from a scale of 1 to 10?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers!
Hmm, I don't know, I remember having some really dumb and awkward moments. When I walked out, I thought it'd be very unlikely for me to get an offer!
Original post by Nimbus

What were your grades and work exp. like if you don't mind me asking?:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by polpo
What were your grades and work exp. like if you don't mind me asking?:smile:

I'd say overall my application was standard, maybe relatively stronger in terms of academics + ECs, but certainly weaker than the avg for work experience. But it shouldn't really play too much of a role as long as you comfortably fulfil the criteria (e.g. my med school is actually way more work experience orientated!).
Original post by Nimbus
I'd say overall my application was standard, maybe relatively stronger in terms of academics + ECs, but certainly weaker than the avg for work experience. But it shouldn't really play too much of a role as long as you comfortably fulfil the criteria (e.g. my med school is actually way more work experience orientated!).

Reply 7
You guys have to understand that you are not given an offer based on subjective opinions of people who interviewed you. You obviously got enough points on your scoresheet. well done!
Reply 8
Original post by ps1265A
Just wanted to know if anyone has experienced this before? Please do share your story!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sometimes they already decide to give you an offer, but invite you to an interview anyway. Apparently if you think an interview has gone badly but still get an offer, you are more likely to accept the offer because you feel relieved and maybe a bit flattered or whatever. I dont know. What is this mind ****.
Reply 9
Original post by Pomum96
Sometimes they already decide to give you an offer, but invite you to an interview anyway. Apparently if you think an interview has gone badly but still get an offer, you are more likely to accept the offer because you feel relieved and maybe a bit flattered or whatever. I dont know. What is this mind ****.

They do this even if the university says we give offers based on interview performance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ps1265A
They do this even if the university says we give offers based on interview performance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh um...probably not then...? But i dunno, im not a university or an important person.
Reply 11
Original post by Pomum96
Oh um...probably not then...? But i dunno, im not a university or an important person.

I guess we don't know anything... Just assumptions and guesses :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is my story too. Did awful on the interview, and spent the rest of the week feeling deflated and hopeless, yet got an offer less than a month after.

When I had my other interview, that went well, I got rejected. It just didn't make any sense to me.
Reply 13
Original post by navarre
This is my story too. Did awful on the interview, and spent the rest of the week feeling deflated and hopeless, yet got an offer less than a month after.

When I had my other interview, that went well, I got rejected. It just didn't make any sense to me.

Did the universities base their decisions solely on your interview performance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ps1265A
Did the universities base their decisions solely on your interview performance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

At that stage, yes.
Reply 15
Original post by navarre
At that stage, yes.

Oh wow, congratulations :smile: Was this last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't say I had a horrible interview since it was MMI, but one of the stations went completely wrong.
Reply 17
Original post by Jaska
I can't say I had a horrible interview since it was MMI, but one of the stations went completely wrong.

What happened?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ps1265A

I completely misinterpreted the question and answered a question that was never asked. He then repeated him self and by that time the station was over :O

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending