The Student Room Group

is my awkwardness scaring him off? Help please guyss?

Long story short, this guy came up and introduced himself and we talked for a bit. After that, he said hi (name) to me 3 days in a row and then ignored me for the next 2 days (including today), but i always see him kinda looking in my direction, although i am not sure if he's just staring at other stuff.*

The thing is, i am so awfully shy and i think i look not so friendly everytime he said hi. I did smile, but it's not my best and natural smile, you get what i mean? Its because i am nervous! And i will do my best to avoid eye contact with him until he comes up, i can't help it!*

What should i do now? I feel like saying hi to him first the next time, but he is kinda ignoring me now and i dont have the courage to. Argghh.
I think that because you are being shy around him he might think that you're not interested in him therefore he is ignoring you? I think what you should do is try to talk to him I know that will be hard because you're nervous but if you want to keep talking to him you have to come out of your comfort zone :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Long story short, this guy came up and introduced himself and we talked for a bit. After that, he said hi (name) to me 3 days in a row and then ignored me for the next 2 days (including today), but i always see him kinda looking in my direction, although i am not sure if he's just staring at other stuff.*

The thing is, i am so awfully shy and i think i look not so friendly everytime he said hi. I did smile, but it's not my best and natural smile, you get what i mean? Its because i am nervous! And i will do my best to avoid eye contact with him until he comes up, i can't help it!*

What should i do now? I feel like saying hi to him first the next time, but he is kinda ignoring me now and i dont have the courage to. Argghh.

I know this feeling, sometimes even just a small smile is so hard!
Unfortunately, there's no easy way to solve this. Muster up the courage and greet him next time you see him, with a smile. He probably thought you didn't like him, if your neutral face is quite serious, like mine.
Reply 3
Original post by negatron
I think that because you are being shy around him he might think that you're not interested in him therefore he is ignoring you? I think what you should do is try to talk to him I know that will be hard because you're nervous but if you want to keep talking to him you have to come out of your comfort zone :smile:

Original post by D_ecrivaine
I know this feeling, sometimes even just a small smile is so hard!
Unfortunately, there's no easy way to solve this. Muster up the courage and greet him next time you see him, with a smile. He probably thought you didn't like him, if your neutral face is quite serious, like mine.

Yeah i am pretty sure i look pissed when i don't smile. He is quite active in a few events and its like after the event, i wanted to tell him what a great job he has done but then there's my friends and his friends all around so i just couldn't do it. It will look weird, now that he looks like he is ignoring me, i am even more afraid to do it. Why am i such an awkward mess? *sigh* btw does adding him on fb comes off as creepy? Or are there any simpler ways that i can do to encourage him to come up to me? He has been ignoring me for 2 days and it's quite awkward.
Yeah i am pretty sure i look pissed when i don't smile. He is quite active in a few events and its like after the event, i wanted to tell him what a great job he has done but then there's my friends and his friends all around so i just couldn't do it. It will look weird, now that he looks like he is ignoring me, i am even more afraid to do it. Why am i such an awkward mess? *sigh* btw does adding him on fb comes off as creepy? Or are there any simpler ways that i can do to encourage him to come up to me? He has been ignoring me for 2 days and it's quite awkward.

Agh...It's hard, with facebook and such, I just remember when I was in high school wanting to add a guy I liked, sometimes I did it, and then there's the temptation to browse his page, and i had a friend who encouraged me....everything is just simpler without social media imo.\
It's understandable not wanting to approach him when there are friends about. So you could try and catch him alone, maybe tell him then what a good job he did. I guess if you want him to approach you, catching his eye and smiling is a good start. But relying on him to make a move isn't the best idea, he might be confused by your signals.
Lol I wish a guy would reply, we need some male insight about now...
Reply 5
You can't expect him to do everything... show some interest in him by approaching him.
Reply 6
Original post by D_ecrivaine
Agh...It's hard, with facebook and such, I just remember when I was in high school wanting to add a guy I liked, sometimes I did it, and then there's the temptation to browse his page, and i had a friend who encouraged me....everything is just simpler without social media imo.\
It's understandable not wanting to approach him when there are friends about. So you could try and catch him alone, maybe tell him then what a good job he did. I guess if you want him to approach you, catching his eye and smiling is a good start. But relying on him to make a move isn't the best idea, he might be confused by your signals.
Lol I wish a guy would reply, we need some male insight about now...

He isn't exactly my crush, but then he is not bad and the weird thing is, he makes me feel nervous and shy everytime i see him. I can never catch him alone, he is more like the social butterfly kind of guy who people congratulates and talk to. Me on the other hand, am the exactly opposite type. I am shy and awkward with strangers.

And the really hard part is when my friends see him, they couldn't stop giggling, which in turn made me smile/giggle too. I turned all red everytime. His friends always look and kinda laugh too when they see me when he is around, but then due to my low confidence, i kept on have the feeling that they are making fun of me or something similar going on in their head which make me feel so self concious around him, thus not being able to talk to him. :frown:
Add him on facebook. Screw what you think is awkward....That your perception of societies constructs causing you issues. Sod that go for it.

So add him. Talk to him on there. Flip a few messages back and forth and give him your number.
Reply 8
I can read cues and generally tell whether or not someone dislikes me or is simply shy, sometimes it can be both which is very annoying; it's very difficult to tell. He probably thinks you dislike him, or feels awkward around you because he's not sure if your friends or strangers but its way to late to introduce himself cus hes already said hi like 3 times lol.
He isn't exactly my crush, but then he is not bad and the weird thing is, he makes me feel nervous and shy everytime i see him. I can never catch him alone, he is more like the social butterfly kind of guy who people congratulates and talk to. Me on the other hand, am the exactly opposite type. I am shy and awkward with strangers.

And the really hard part is when my friends see him, they couldn't stop giggling, which in turn made me smile/giggle too. I turned all red everytime. His friends always look and kinda laugh too when they see me when he is around, but then due to my low confidence, i kept on have the feeling that they are making fun of me or something similar going on in their head which make me feel so self concious around him, thus not being able to talk to him. :frown:

Ahh I know the feeling, when your friends know who you like and embarrass you...You should have a serious talk with them about the giggling thing.
I'm sure they're not laughing at you. It's probably either coincidence or perhaps they're laughing like how your friends are laughing?
Original post by jakeel1
I can read cues and generally tell whether or not someone dislikes me or is simply shy, sometimes it can be both which is very annoying; it's very difficult to tell. He probably thinks you dislike him, or feels awkward around you because he's not sure if your friends or strangers but its way to late to introduce himself cus hes already said hi like 3 times lol.

What do you mean by it's too late to introduce himself? He already did that but then now we are still like strangers (all thanks to my shyness) *sigh*
What do you mean by it's too late to introduce himself? He already did that but then now we are still like strangers (all thanks to my shyness) *sigh*

Hi my name is.

You can't do that two weeks after, that looks very peculiar. You both know you know each other, but you don't know each other enough to be friends, you are trapped in what I call purgatory.
Original post by jakeel1
Hi my name is.

You can't do that two weeks after, that looks very peculiar. You both know you know each other, but you don't know each other enough to be friends, you are trapped in what I call purgatory.

How do i get out of it then? I want to talk to him but then I don't know what to say and we are never left alone!
Don't worry - if you don't talk to him, I'm sure someone else will! :smile:
Reply 14
How do i get out of it then? I want to talk to him but then I don't know what to say and we are never left alone!

You definitely need to make the first contact, it's sounds like he is interested but thought you wernt, be more upfront and ask if he wants to go for coffee/food/whatever then he'll get the picture. X

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending