The Student Room Group

first ever date. Advice please.

Okay next week I will be going on my first ever date, with the girl who I like very much at a bar. So could you guys help me in the dating etiquette.
( The girl and I get along quite well, only met her twice in lectures but we have plenty tp talk about. The fact that she said yes, I am guessing she has some interest

- Is going for drinks at 8pm okay?
- when I see her should I hug her, and kiss her on the cheek?
- I am planing to meet her at uni,so we can walk down to the bar together. That way we have already talked a little, and are a little bit comfortable when we get there/

Any other dating advice?
Reply 1
I should be okay in avoiding any awkward silence. We both get along well, and after a few drinks we everything should be fine.
If worse comes to worse, we can talk about uni etc
I'd save a kiss for the end of the date, so long as it went well. Otherwise you might catch her off guard.
Reply 3
Original post by freedom
Okay next week I will be going on my first ever date, with the girl who I like very much at a bar. So could you guys help me in the dating etiquette.
( The girl and I get along quite well, only met her twice in lectures but we have plenty tp talk about. The fact that she said yes, I am guessing she has some interest

- Is going for drinks at 8pm okay?
- when I see her should I hug her, and kiss her on the cheek?
- I am planing to meet her at uni,so we can walk down to the bar together. That way we have already talked a little, and are a little bit comfortable when we get there/

Any other dating advice?

- 8pm sounds like a perfectly reasonable time to me, just make sure that you line your stomach before if you're drinking alcohol (If it were me I wouldn't want to be getting too tipsy on a first date haha)

- it depends on the situation. I would say that, in general, you should go for the kiss on the cheek. But this is a difficult one. She might just go in for the hug. Play it by ear :smile:

- Make sure you are early(ish) for the meet time, as you don't want to leave her waiting, trust me!

Other than that, make sure that you buy the first drink!!!! She might repay the favour and buy you one (if it's nice and casual and the convo is flowing). Again, play this by ear but I would say as a rule of thumb always get the first ones in, regardless of how expensive her drink might be and even if she insists otherwise.

Make sure that you ask her questions and get her to talk about herself, rather than the other way round. if you have lots to talk about then this is great, but asking her questions will keep her interested etc etc etc.

Above all, just try and be as relaxed as you can and make sure that you wear something nice, but something that you also feel comfortable in. Trust me, other people can tell if you don't!

Good luck
Reply 4
Original post by TheSilentBang
I'd save a kiss for the end of the date, so long as it went well. Otherwise you might catch her off guard.

yes this is somewhat true.
But will it kind off set the tone.
Like I am not here as friends.
Kiss on each cheek, snog at the end.
Reply 6
Original post by 3309will
- 8pm sounds like a perfectly reasonable time to me, just make sure that you line your stomach before if you're drinking alcohol (If it were me I wouldn't want to be getting too tipsy on a first date haha)

- it depends on the situation. I would say that, in general, you should go for the kiss on the cheek. But this is a difficult one. She might just go in for the hug. Play it by ear :smile:

- Make sure you are early(ish) for the meet time, as you don't want to leave her waiting, trust me!

Other than that, make sure that you buy the first drink!!!! She might repay the favour and buy you one (if it's nice and casual and the convo is flowing). Again, play this by ear but I would say as a rule of thumb always get the first ones in, regardless of how expensive her drink might be and even if she insists otherwise.

Make sure that you ask her questions and get her to talk about herself, rather than the other way round. if you have lots to talk about then this is great, but asking her questions will keep her interested etc etc etc.

Above all, just try and be as relaxed as you can and make sure that you wear something nice, but something that you also feel comfortable in. Trust me, other people can tell if you don't!

Good luck

great advice.
I think The kiss on the cheek in risky but, it will set the tone. Like I am not here to be your friend.
Yes I will make sure I am there before her.

The thing is I am good talking about me, but Asking questions is not my strong point. Do you have any examples I could use?
Best advice anyone ever gave me was to just be yourself and don't pretend to be anything else.
Reply 8
Original post by freedom
great advice.
I think The kiss on the cheek in risky but, it will set the tone. Like I am not here to be your friend.
Yes I will make sure I am there before her.

The thing is I am good talking about me, but Asking questions is not my strong point. Do you have any examples I could use?

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that it was the be all and end all of dates. Just casual stuff, really.

I am sure, though, that she has said yes because she likes who you are. (Y) Just be yourself, no one can ever be any better than that!
Greet with a hug and kiss on the cheek. You say you have a lot to talk about but keep the convo upbeat and jokey for the first date. Are you going on the weekend? 8pm is fine to meet up and then walk into town.

Good luck bro, from the sounds of it you won't need it. You have a good head start which most people never have.
Reply 10
Original post by 3309will
Sorry, I didn't mean to say that it was the be all and end all of dates. Just casual stuff, really.

I am sure, though, that she has said yes because she likes who you are. (Y) Just be yourself, no one can ever be any better than that!

Original post by C_tinie_D
Greet with a hug and kiss on the cheek. You say you have a lot to talk about but keep the convo upbeat and jokey for the first date. Are you going on the weekend? 8pm is fine to meet up and then walk into town.

Good luck bro, from the sounds of it you won't need it. You have a good head start which most people never have.

Original post by Rock Fan
Best advice anyone ever gave me was to just be yourself and don't pretend to be anything else.

Thank you guys!!!!
Reply 11
Relax, make them laugh and most importantly be yourself.
Reply 12
Don't be someone you're not.
and never ask TSR for dating advice.
Reply 13
8 is fine for drinks, remember to allow for half hour either way, ladies love to be late on most occasions.

I'd say stick with a hug to start off with, I'f the date goes well you could throw in a kiss on the cheek on goodbyes - your call - should come naturally.

Make her laugh, find common ground and also listen to what she says. Most likely she'll test you later on down the line - if you make it that far.
Don't forget to compliment. Oh and if you're drinking, definitely try the kiss. Drinks are perfect to blame it on if it goes wrong :biggrin:
Two pieces of advice I'd give. If you can, try to avoid sitting at a table where you're at opposite ends facing each other. Try and sit side by side if possible, or, even better, in one of those quiet booths in the corner of the bar. This is more romantic and allows you two to get closer if there's good chemistry.
Also, pay with cash! I know it's rare, but the last thing you want is your card being declined or something, leaving her to pay the drinks bill.
Reply 16
And don't you dare consider wearing that knitted sweater you've got out! Why not put on some nice jeans and smart shoes, then pick out the comfy t-shirt with the monkey on it - you never know that might kick start a conversation.

Quick Reply

Latest