The Student Room Group

Should I Leave Uni?

To cut a long story short...

ive always had bad and good days a uni, but recently the bad have outweighed the good by far.

Im now a 2nd year at uni...and my move from halls (which 70% of the time I disliked) to a uni house with my 'freinds' hasnt been great.

one person in my house refuses to talk to another, which creates an atmosphere, and to be honest i feel that I dont fit in with any of them any more (in terms of my course, and that i find them elitist towards me)..i am always seen as the 'stupid' one of the house, who does no work (as i do a less intensive course than them) and is basically just there for the sake of it, to make up the numbers in the household IMO.

So i miss my proper freinds from home, and to be honest i no longer care if i see people from uni again I have never been into the whole wearing Uni clothing 24/7 and treat uni as the purpose of life thing...in fact i find it incredibly annoying and dislike half the people on my campus.

So what do people think I should do?

Should i quit, and throw away a years worth of effort, money and my life. To return home to the shame of not being 'good enough' to survive uni, or should i stick out the remaining year and a half or so..and get undoubtedly better career prospects (im studying for a degree at Durham) or go home, to my freinds, my family and a place where i belong.

to be honest the 'fear' of saying i quit uni to people at home (ie admiting im a failure) is the ONLY thing keeping me here at the moment..but id like to have some different views on the matter...as im heavily biased on going home right now.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You haven't mentioned anything about your course...

Do you enjoy your course?
Fleece
You haven't mentioned anything about your course...

Do you enjoy your course?

i enjoy 2 out of 6 modules, and hate the other 4

so no, not particularly. I find it repetitive after 5years of study (theres only so much Business to learn) and its only 'acceptable' not brilliant.
People aside, how are you finding the course? If you can get a decent degree in it, then you almost certainly should stick it out. Career prospects outweigh another 6 months or so of poor flat-mate relations, surely?

Returning home now may solve the problem initially, but after a while you'll have to get a job/move away regardless, and with that comes a completely new environment. (One that you may well not like either.) So you'd perhaps be back to square one, with no degree in hand.

It may be hard, but see it through. You'll almost certainly be glad you did.
Reply 4
Why would you let your dislike for your roommates influence your career prospects? This is a decision about your future, not whether or not you like uni.
Champagne-Dahling
People aside, how are you finding the course? If you can get a decent degree in it, then you almost certainly should stick it out. Career prospects outweigh another 6 months or so of poor flat-mate relations, surely?

Returning home now may solve the problem initially, but after a while you'll have to get a job/move away regardless, and with that comes a completely new environment. (One that you may well not like either.) So you'd perhaps be back to square one, with no degree in hand.

It may be hard, but see it through. You'll almost certainly be glad you did.

thats some fair points.

the average starting salary for my course is 20k a year, which is obviously good. So that is another reason to stay.

but i just dont particularlym enjoy being here...whenever i suggest going out or even staying in and getting a takeaway, people either cant afford it (when i know full well they can) or just dont want to...im the only business student in a house of 6 medics/biomedics and just really dont feel like i fit in. So id rather be with my real mates at home in real honesty.

I also find the town i live in (Stockton-on-tees) intimidating and depressing, the local people are some of the most stupid and iritating people ive ever met.

but as the above poster has said, its only for a few more months...so that creates a dilemma, so all responses would be much appreciated.
Reply 6
Would you enjoy spending the rest of your life at a dead-end job? Ignore everyone. Get good grades. Get your degree. And you'll never see these people ever again.
Reply 7
Firstly you would not be throwing away a years effort. You have done that and passed it, no-one can take it away from you. If you were to leave now you would be credited with it and graduate with an HNC.

Secondly, you are thinking about quitting uni because of your flatmates? Don't be silly man! Seriously. There are better ways to do work around things. You can talk to them for starters. If that does not work you can move back into halls. You can advertise for someone to share with or look for a similar ad.

Please, do not give up uni because of flatmates. If you do deside to give up uni then you have not wasted that last year, you have done it, passed it and will be credited for it.
Bismarck
Why would you let your dislike for your roommates influence your career prospects? This is a decision about your future, not whether or not you like uni.

i dont 'dislike' them

its just that they live a different life to me.

such as their course is much more intense than mine, so theyll go to bed at 10:30 at the latest... and only go out once a week (and use finances as an excuse for not going out more) whereas thats far to early for me to go to bed and i know full well most of them are loaded and can afford a night out.

so i just dont feel i fit in really (to much to explain every minute detail)

but you are right in that its a decision about my future...and thats what scares me, i dont want to make the right choice.
Reply 9
Rooftopcowboy
i dont 'dislike' them

its just that they live a different life to me.

such as their course is much more intense than mine, so theyll go to bed at 10:30 at the latest... and only go out once a week (and use finances as an excuse for not going out more) whereas thats far to early for me to go to bed and i know full well most of them are loaded and can afford a night out.

so i just dont feel i fit in really (to much to explain every minute detail)

but you are right in that its a decision about my future...and thats what scares me, i dont want to make the right choice.

I still don't see your point. You have terrible roommates. That's life. You can't just stop living your life just because of this. Let them look down on you. It's hardly going to matter in the long run. You'll probably never see them after you graduate. What will matter in the long run is whether or not you have a uni degree.
Nessyfencer
Firstly you would not be throwing away a years effort. You have done that and passed it, no-one can take it away from you. If you were to leave now you would be credited with it and graduate with an HNC.

Secondly, you are thinking about quitting uni because of your flatmates? Don't be silly man! Seriously. There are better ways to do work around things. You can talk to them for starters. If that does not work you can move back into halls. You can advertise for someone to share with or look for a similar ad.

Please, do not give up uni because of flatmates. If you do deside to give up uni then you have not wasted that last year, you have done it, passed it and will be credited for it.

i just dont feel i "fit in" with the majority of the campus though

loads of people go about in "university of durham" hooded tops etc, and just generally treat it as the most amazing, wonderful experience theyve ever had in life...and go on about this constantly.

whereas i honestly feel that i could say goodbye to the freinds ive made, and forget them in a few weeks/months, as i dont honestly feel ive made a 'connection' with the uni.

i dont want to go about dressed head to toe in Durham uni stuff, be in numorous societies and sports teams...whilst being hated by the locals (due to be studenty) id rather be at home with my freinds.
Bismarck
I still don't see your point. You have terrible roommates. That's life. You can't just stop living your life just because of this. Let them look down on you. It's hardly going to matter in the long run. You'll probably never see them after you graduate. What will matter in the long run is whether or not you have a uni degree.

you are making some good points, and i do thank you for the advice.

its just hard to have a "oh well" attitude all the time

i can put up with things most of the week, its just certain days and hours that really get to me.

its hard to be somewhere you dont want to be 24/7, despite all the undoubted career prospects.

its just hard for me to sit here and consider sitting here and not enoying myself for another 18months
Reply 12
Rooftopcowboy
i just dont feel i "fit in" with the majority of the campus though

loads of people go about in "university of durham" hooded tops etc, and just generally treat it as the most amazing, wonderful experience theyve ever had in life...and go on about this constantly.

whereas i honestly feel that i could say goodbye to the freinds ive made, and forget them in a few weeks/months, as i dont honestly feel ive made a 'connection' with the uni.

i dont want to go about dressed head to toe in Durham uni stuff, be in numorous societies and sports teams...whilst being hated by the locals (due to be studenty) id rather be at home with my freinds.

Yeah, I know how you feel. OK, I have just started 6 weels ago so it is different for me, but what you described is exactly what I feel like. I also really need to start putting in some hours or I will fail my course. But, I want a degree, I am determined to get a degree.

4 years of misery is nothing, trust me on this. I had a job in a factory for 8 years, absolutely miserable - nearly in tears every morning when startung at 4.30. Do I want to be stuck in a job like that again? No chance - I'll happily be miserable now to make sure!
Nessyfencer
Yeah, I know how you feel. OK, I have just started 6 weels ago so it is different for me, but what you described is exactly what I feel like. I also really need to start putting in some hours or I will fail my course. But, I want a degree, I am determined to get a degree.

4 years of misery is nothing, trust me on this. I had a job in a factory for 8 years, absolutely miserable - nearly in tears every morning when startung at 4.30. Do I want to be stuck in a job like that again? No chance - I'll happily be miserable now to make sure!

another point, (to add the the uni woe) is that i cant get to grips with the uni marking system at all.

at A level, i got over 90% in all my business modules...whereas at uni barely scrape 40%

yes i should be aware that uni is harder etc etc, but i simply cant get to grips with the fact i go into the exams and may recieve less than half marks..its an alien concept to me, and just demoralises me and makes me feel stupid and worthless.

i honestly dont feel i can 'hack' a business career because of these low mars im getting (between 40 and 50%)
Reply 14
Hmm, that may be more due to the difference in the way exams are answered at this level. They are looking for fuller, more detailed answers as opposed to "well, he seems to know about that" answers. You may be doing this though, I dunno.
Reply 15
Rooftopcowboy
you are making some good points, and i do thank you for the advice.

its just hard to have a "oh well" attitude all the time

i can put up with things most of the week, its just certain days and hours that really get to me.

its hard to be somewhere you dont want to be 24/7, despite all the undoubted career prospects.

its just hard for me to sit here and consider sitting here and not enoying myself for another 18months

Let's put it like this, either you suffer for the next 18 months (a large chunk of which you will probably spend at home anyway) or you suffer for the next 5-10 years doing some menial job. Going home should not be a choice. You're stuck in uni. Make the best of it.
Reply 16
Bismarck
Let's put it like this, either you suffer for the next 18 months (a large chunk of which you will probably spend at home anyway) or you suffer for the next 5-10 years doing some menial job. Going home should not be a choice. You're stuck in uni. Make the best of it.

Yeah, good point, although not sure where you get your time scales from or what they mean. 18 months? 5-10 years?
Bismarck

hmm

i disagree in a way though... i have great freinds at home, and a nice home (where id be able to live for a few years a least) and my career prospects wouldent be too bad (obviously not as good, as i wouldent be a graduate..but not awful, as id still have my AAB at A Level and some work experience etc)

i just feel at my lowest eb, and dont wish to spend another day here..let alone 18months, but as ive said, the 'shame' of having to tell people i quit, and the decreased job prospects really are a burden.
Reply 18
School grades mean nothing, no matter how good they are. All they are good for is to see if you can go on to learn further.
Reply 19
Oh, but saying that, you will have an HNC, which will mean something.

Latest

Trending

Trending