The Student Room Group

Help me solve this maths question please. I want to make sure I am correct :)

Find the equation of the curve: A quadratic curve passes through O(0,0) and its gradient at the point (-2,3) is -1.

Integration
Reply 1
Original post by CTinTin14
Find the equation of the curve: A quadratic curve passes through O(0,0) and its gradient at the point (-2,3) is -1.

Integration

have you made a start on this? tell us what you've already worked out.
Original post by CTinTin14

Integration

Consider the quadratic:

How can you use this to find an equation for the gradient and also consider what happens when you substitute (0,0) into this equation ?
Reply 3
I'm not really sure what you're asking? You would integrate if you wanted to find the area under the curve, and the question seems to be asking you to find the equation of the curve.
Reply 4
One of the solutions to y=0 is x=0 so the quadratic would have the form y=a(x^2)+bx which is the same as y=x(ax+b). Next sub in (-2,3) to get 3=4a-2b. Now you need to differentiate y=a(x^2)+bx which gives dy/dx=2ax+b. At x=-2 dy/dx is -1 so we have -4a+b=-1.
Then you have two simultaneous equations that you can solve to get a and b, no integration required.
Original post by Mentedya
One of the solutions to y=0 is x=0 so the quadratic would have the form y=a(x^2)+bx which is the same as y=x(ax+b). Next sub in (-2,3) to get 3=4a-2b. Now you need to differentiate y=a(x^2)+bx which gives dy/dx=2ax+b. At x=-2 dy/dx is -1 so we have -4a+b=-1.
Then you have two simultaneous equations that you can solve to get a and b, no integration required.

You're not supposed to just give the answer. Its a student forum, not an answer forum.

Quick Reply

Latest