The Student Room Group

Boyfriend's and my parents meeting each other

Today willl be the first time my parents meet my boyfriend's parents, and I'm rather nervous! We've been together for 2 years at the end of this month; they probably would have met sooner if they didn't live at opposite ends of the country. At least we have both met each others parents before lots of times. Other people in relationships - how long was it before both sets of parents met each other? How did it go? I'm worried conversation might dry up or something since they are so different.
Reply 1
Where are they meeting?
I think so long as both parents see the other as being decent people it shouldn't matter really.
If nothing else, they'll just talk about you and your boyfriend and their hometowns all day...even if what either says is boring, the only real reason they're there is to scope out the others family, to see how they are...unless your parents are shy people who don't like to talk to make new friends, it should just be fine :wink:
Reply 2
i went out with my girlfriend for about 2 and a half years on and off. our parents never met.. don't know why. there just never seemed any reason for it to happen, and to arrange it deliberately would have seemed a bit forced and formal. and we both live in london, so the distance wasn't really a thing.
I've only been with my boyfriend for a year on thursday and i'm hoping our parents won't meet until the wedding if we ever get married. My parents love him and he loves them but i'm not a huge fan of his parents and i'm pretty sure they are not overly fond of me. The only good thing they've ever had to say about me was the first time they met me and they said to him 'at least this one has a sense of humour' which makes me an improvement on the last one but not the best he could do.
Parents in situations like these are bound to be incredibly different. Me and my boyfriend are incredibly different which is why we work so well in a relationship. I'm just worried about what his parents would think of mine. They will probably think my Dad is rude cos he is quite shy and anything but talkative and they'll probably think my Mum as annoying cos she could talk for England.
Reply 4
Ive been with my fiance for nearly 6 years, we are getting married next year and our parents still havent met! I very much doubt they will before the wedding either, so the first time they'll meet is on the big day! Theres no reason for it really, my boyfriends parents are a bit weird really and quite antisocial, everytime we invite them anywhere theyre not interested so its their problem really.
Reply 5
Well, it went well thankfully - they're down here for a few days anyway to visit my boyfriend (he's living near me now) so thought it would be nice to meet at last. Conversation flowed really well and I think everyone had a good time! :biggrin:
Reply 6
Wow, I thought it was just me! My parents haven't met my boyfriend's parents. Though his mate and his gf do it quite often and they did it early on in the relationship. I guess I never bothered as if the relationship ended on bad terms but the parents got on well then their friendship could be frosty or they may feel obliged to not keep in contact anymore. Those who say wait till the wedding, are you not having an engagement party?!
my bfs parents are the opposit of mine and far more laid back. our dads have met but my bf was so quick to hurry his dad away that they barely got past hello. it was kinda funny.
It seems I'm lucky then that our parents knew each other before my boyfriend and I even became an official couple. Our brothers are good friends, so our parents would go to school events together and natter away quite happily. Suppose it makes it easier in a way...
Mine and my bfs parents have met through mutual friends and stuff, but we've never set it up so they see eachother! Me and my bf's brother went to the same music camp thing, so they met there, but again it wasn't set up.
my mum and my bfs parents are totally differnet kinda of people, but we all went out for a meal and it went really well. I was really nervous about it too so was quite relieved!

Latest

Trending

Trending