The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick vs manchester vs sheffield vs Leeds vs cardiff

So i'm an international student and i want to study management. I've already received an unconditional from sheffield and cardiff. I wanted to know how all the 5 universities rank prestige-wise, city, nightlife, people etc and keep in mind, i could only apply to the management leisure course at manchester which is not business related so I'm really confused. Also, if a universities reputation is better than the other over all but for management it's a little low, does it matter?
warwick #1
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
I would say the best one academically is Warwick, by quite a stretch. However nightlife wise you'd be looking at Leeds/Manchester and maybe Cardiff
Warwick is the most prestigious but if you are a 'city' person then you'll be bored to death.
If the Manchester course doesn't interest you, don't go there.
Sheffield is more of a 'pub' city. Lots of hills. 1/3rd of it is inside a National Park apparently. I've been once and loved it.
Leeds is a very clubby city, as is Cardiff, but Cardiff is prettier IMO. However, Leeds is up north, so everyone there was quite friendly and chatty and such... although tbf the same applies to Cardiff.

The reputation difference between your 5 is so small that I wouldn't lose sleep over it. All are very good universities. I mean, we're not talking Uni of West London vs Glasgow vs Southampton Solent vs Oxford here.
Original post by TheStudentEater
warwick #1

But I'm really afraid of not fitting in with the academically bright people because I'm not that kind! I get good grades but I don't study
Original post by Drossell
I would say the best one academically is Warwick, by quite a stretch. However nightlife wise you'd be looking at Leeds/Manchester and maybe Cardiff

Thanks. So Sheffield does not stand a chance against these?
Accademically, Warwick.
Cardiff is relatively small City in comparison to Leeds and Manchester but has all you really need - clubs, large train stations, lots of shops, restaurants, bars etc. Everything is literally a 5 minute walk away from the main part of the University.
You get quite a range of people in my opinion, like most universities.
Any questions on Cardiff, just ask.
Original post by молодой гений
Warwick is the most prestigious but if you are a 'city' person then you'll be bored to death.
If the Manchester course doesn't interest you, don't go there.
Sheffield is more of a 'pub' city. Lots of hills. 1/3rd of it is inside a National Park apparently. I've been once and loved it.
Leeds is a very clubby city, as is Cardiff, but Cardiff is prettier IMO. However, Leeds is up north, so everyone there was quite friendly and chatty and such... although tbf the same applies to Cardiff.

The reputation difference between your 5 is so small that I wouldn't lose sleep over it. All are very good universities. I mean, we're not talking Uni of West London vs Glasgow vs Southampton Solent vs Oxford here.

This helped me a lot!! Sheffield was pretty low in the league tables in management against Cardiff and Leeds let alone manchester and Warwick so I wasn't really sure. Manchester is my dream place but they needed me to have a mathematics subject in my A levels so I had to apply for management & leisure course. I Know it's a stretch but do you have any idea about the course?
Original post by BenLynch9
Accademically, Warwick.
Cardiff is relatively small City in comparison to Leeds and Manchester but has all you really need - clubs, large train stations, lots of shops, restaurants, bars etc. Everything is literally a 5 minute walk away from the main part of the University.
You get quite a range of people in my opinion, like most universities.
Any questions on Cardiff, just ask.

Could you tell me how good the management department is at Cardiff? And if it's higher up in league tables, does that mean it has a beater course or better job opportunities? Thanks!
Original post by anooshkapathak
Could you tell me how good the management department is at Cardiff? And if it's higher up in league tables, does that mean it has a beater course or better job opportunities? Thanks!

I do Chemistry so have no idea about the business school, but have a look at this website, you can easily compare the universities.

http://university.which.co.uk/search/course?utf8=✓&c%5Bq%5D=management&c%5Bsubject_l2%5D%5B%5D=N200&c%5Binstitution_name_tag__or__some%5D%5B%5D=cardiff_university&c%5Bsort_fact%5D=relevance&commit=Apply+changes

Perfect! Thanks a tonne. Also how is the nightlife/social life there? Is it too small as compared to Leeds or manchester?
Original post by anooshkapathak
Perfect! Thanks a tonne. Also how is the nightlife/social life there? Is it too small as compared to Leeds or manchester?

If you're into clubbing then yes it's very good and most people go clubbing. If you prefer pubs then maybe it's not the best.
I think it's perfectly sized, its very condensed, it has all you need, I can't imagine there's much that Leeds/Manchester have that Cardiff doesn't.
It's a capital city but is fair from being daunting, you can get your bearings pretty quickly.
Original post by BenLynch9
If you're into clubbing then yes it's very good and most people go clubbing. If you prefer pubs then maybe it's not the best.
I think it's perfectly sized, its very condensed, it has all you need, I can't imagine there's much that Leeds/Manchester have that Cardiff doesn't.
It's a capital city but is fair from being daunting, you can get your bearings pretty quickly.

Yess I'm more into clubbing and seeing it's rankings, I'm pretty much leaning towards cardiff atm. Thanks for all your help.
Warwick has the strongest. Then maybe the rest. It's a great place, you'll love it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending