The Student Room Group

Has anyone started revsing for GCSES?? >_<

Has anyone revised? and has a fixed study plan?
or if anyone who has done their GCSES and got A/A*

Please give tips on how to achieve the best!
Original post by humzzay

I am currently a year 11 student and yeah I have started revising. I usually don't do plans but I spend more time studying subjects I am week on. It really helps me. :smile:
Hi there!

I'm currently in year 11 too, and I have just started revising for GCSE few days ago. No, I don't have a study timetable to follow. For now, I plan to do 1 subject, about an hour to 2 hours daily. As GCSEs gets nearer, most probably, I'll be doing extra 2 hours of revision a day, and when April arrives, I plan to do 5 hours of revision a day if I don't procrastinate :smile:

Usually, I'll make notes for certain subjects that requires a lot of memorizing and facts such as biology. For geography, flash cards is my best friend. If I don't really understand a topic, I'll enter BBC Bitesize, which contains simplified notes.

Just be hardworking and try your very best, and the A's and A* will come out!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I haven't started studying yet seeing as I just finished my mocks haha. But the plan is to finish rereading the English Literature set texts by mid February (and then read them again in April). I'm also writing out notes slowly for all of my subjects. Tbh I'm rubbish at revising, I usually just pay attention in class, take notes and rewrite them later and flip through some revision guides, but my grades for my mocks were alright considering my laziness (3 A*s, 6 As and a C (really silly mistakes with Physics)). On the other hand my best friend studied everyday during the holidays by doing PYPs everyday, making notes and going through difficult topics with her 4 different tuition teachers (She got 5 A*s, 2 As and 3 Bs for mocks). Revision really depends on what works for you but just make sure not to burn yourself out (happened to my best friend, her first few exams were great and then she got sick and then yeah) - so I guess just make sure you check what your exam board wants from you (especially if you're taking ICT, they're so picky), read over all of your notes and summarise them, work through PYPs and USE YOUR TEACHERS. If you have any questions, do ask them. I failed my physics cos I didn't make use of my booster classes and was unsure about how to do some of the drawing questions etc. Hope this helped even though I haven't completed all of my IGCSEs yet (did two last year) but I've got a few friends who did and basically passed on what they told me:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by clayclaytonton
I haven't started studying yet seeing as I just finished my mocks haha. But the plan is to finish rereading the English Literature set texts by mid February (and then read them again in April). I'm also writing out notes slowly for all of my subjects. Tbh I'm rubbish at revising, I usually just pay attention in class, take notes and rewrite them later and flip through some revision guides, but my grades for my mocks were alright considering my laziness (3 A*s, 6 As and a C (really silly mistakes with Physics)). On the other hand my best friend studied everyday during the holidays by doing PYPs everyday, making notes and going through difficult topics with her 4 different tuition teachers (She got 5 A*s, 2 As and 3 Bs for mocks). Revision really depends on what works for you but just make sure not to burn yourself out (happened to my best friend, her first few exams were great and then she got sick and then yeah) - so I guess just make sure you check what your exam board wants from you (especially if you're taking ICT, they're so picky), read over all of your notes and summarise them, work through PYPs and USE YOUR TEACHERS. If you have any questions, do ask them. I failed my physics cos I didn't make use of my booster classes and was unsure about how to do some of the drawing questions etc. Hope this helped even though I haven't completed all of my IGCSEs yet (did two last year) but I've got a few friends who did and basically passed on what they told me:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankyou so much for replying i havent been on TSR for a while! and i read all this lovely feedback! Thankyou so much and wow you really did well in your mocks! dont tell me your one of those who dont revise much and come out with awesome grades! I envy you! :biggrin::biggrin::colondollar:
The advise seems really good!! i will be starting to go over novels in english and maths and science! Aish! seems like a long process but i have no idea where to start -_-
Reply 5
Original post by cerealisyummy
Hi there!

I'm currently in year 11 too, and I have just started revising for GCSE few days ago. No, I don't have a study timetable to follow. For now, I plan to do 1 subject, about an hour to 2 hours daily. As GCSEs gets nearer, most probably, I'll be doing extra 2 hours of revision a day, and when April arrives, I plan to do 5 hours of revision a day if I don't procrastinate :smile:

Usually, I'll make notes for certain subjects that requires a lot of memorizing and facts such as biology. For geography, flash cards is my best friend. If I don't really understand a topic, I'll enter BBC Bitesize, which contains simplified notes.

Just be hardworking and try your very best, and the A's and A* will come out!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh thats a really good way of revising i wish you luck and thankyou for your advise it really helped! :biggrin: Flashcards ey! iv bought a few packs! planning to use them soon! Id say sticky notes are my bestfriend :P
Reply 6
Original post by Fallen99
I am currently a year 11 student and yeah I have started revising. I usually don't do plans but I spend more time studying subjects I am week on. It really helps me. :smile:

Id say your more like me! revision plans Do NOT go to plan! i tried it once the first day was amazing then I got lazy -_-
But Thanks alot!
I only revise when I want to. I never force myself to revise because you'll learn far more if you actually want to learn. I did this for my mocks, and got 9A*s and an A. My advice is to get motivated, and you'll end up revising effectively.
Reply 8
Original post by Jasaron
I only revise when I want to. I never force myself to revise because you'll learn far more if you actually want to learn. I did this for my mocks, and got 9A*s and an A. My advice is to get motivated, and you'll end up revising effectively.

WOAH! you did amazing! wowzer :eek::eek::eek: Yeah you are right! sometime There is alot of motivation then it dies down, But thanks your totally Right:smile:
Reply 9
Original post by humzzay

I started looking at core science In year 9. I started revising for core chemistry 2 years early and got an a*. That was because it's my favourite subject and so I am motivated to revise it. I got a's in both biology and physics.

I tend to revise things when I feel like it so I don't need a plan since I'm a very motivated. They don't work for me either!

I am currently revising for GCSE. And I'm hoping to achieve 8A* 3A.
The best way I revise is to read the textbooks or go online an learn everything you need to know then when you have finished going over everything do a past paper . Find the areas you need work on and don't ignore them and go over them . Don't move on until you have FULLY understood what went wrong! !.

Good luck !!:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by humzzay

Hey :smile:

I started revising in the new year (probably too early) but I didn't do very much. I have increased my workload over time! I'm in year 11 by the way lol

I don't follow a timetable because it's just not do able as I worry about how much time I have left before I revise the next subject and that doesn't work for me...

In terms of tips... make revision notes/cards and go over them everyday for about 20 minutes (depending on how many you make), drink water whilst revising and do not stress because you'll only do worse! Expect nothing and you'll do great! Good luck and work hard my friend
I start revising 2nd March up until 24th March to consolidate on all exam material. Then from 30th March - 11th April for subject specific work, for example I will revise and go over bits I still don't understand.

Monday 13th April is when I begin the vicious revision cycle all the way until Tuesday 16th June! It is going to be tough, tiring and will cause a few mental breakdowns along the way - but lets face it, it's 2 months of my life which will affect much more and will stay with me for my whole life. Plus I do have just under 3 months on holiday (mostly sleeping)!

I've got a timetable day to day of units to complete, but no time limits. This way I can stay focused on the revision and not worry about time. Plus chances are I wouldn't have followed timings anyway.
Original post by humzzay
Id say your more like me! revision plans Do NOT go to plan! i tried it once the first day was amazing then I got lazy -_-
But Thanks alot!

Same, I just can't follow them as planned beforehand. I decide what to study when I am in school or when I am on a break. :smile:
U r welcome
Original post by humzzay
Ahhh thats a really good way of revising i wish you luck and thankyou for your advise it really helped! :biggrin: Flashcards ey! iv bought a few packs! planning to use them soon! Id say sticky notes are my bestfriend :P

No problem! I wish you luck in your upcoming GCSEs too! Good luck with your studies!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by jamestg
I start revising 2nd March up until 24th March to consolidate on all exam material. Then from 30th March - 11th April for subject specific work, for example I will revise and go over bits I still don't understand.

Monday 13th April is when I begin the vicious revision cycle all the way until Tuesday 16th June! It is going to be tough, tiring and will cause a few mental breakdowns along the way - but lets face it, it's 2 months of my life which will affect much more and will stay with me for my whole life. Plus I do have just under 3 months on holiday (mostly sleeping)!

I've got a timetable day to day of units to complete, but no time limits. This way I can stay focused on the revision and not worry about time. Plus chances are I wouldn't have followed timings anyway.

Oh woahhhh you have everything planned out! Really organised?! Thanks for sharing your revision schedule! Seems really good and motivates me to plan my own out! thanks loads and wish you luck on your exams!
Original post by humzzay
Oh woahhhh you have everything planned out! Really organised?! Thanks for sharing your revision schedule! Seems really good and motivates me to plan my own out! thanks loads and wish you luck on your exams!

Yep haha!

I wasn't organised a month ago! But I got a huge kick up the backside from my parents to start on stuff for my mocks and real things. 3 mock results so far - A*s in Maths and Geography with an A in Spanish (just 8 more results to get). It really showed me when I put in extra effort the results can be really good!

No problem for helping and good luck with yours too!

*sings we're all in this together*
I've started revising. I use videos most of the time as I am a more visual learner. I use heartymaths (for maths) and mygcsescience (subscription required) after I finish with a topic I do past exam questions. This haas really helped for me. I'm a bit worried I'm focussed too much on science and maths and not others such as English lit and geography so I'm probably going to consider making a timetable or something along those lines. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I'm also in year 11 and I've started revising this week. We have been told by our school that now is the best time to make revision notes and recap the stuff, and also ask teachers for help.
Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest