The Student Room Group

do universities allow alevels taken over three years for law course?

do universities allow alevels taken over three years for law course?
Reply 1
Depends on the reasons for taking three years and which universities you apply to: I'm sure a lot of universities will give you an offer if you have taken A levels over 3 years (even if their official policy says they don't). However, unless you have good reason (e.g. ill, etc.) then taking A levels over three years is generally not accepted by the main Russell Group law schools (Bristol, UCL, Oxbridge, LSE, KCL, etc.)
I'm in this position and have offers from UEA, Anglia Ruskin, Nottingham Trent and an interview for Essex so those four will accept A levels over 3 years. (Yes I know none are Russell group).
Reply 3
Are there any Russell groups that will accept me? :/ I don't have a good reason for retaking..
Reply 4
A friend of mine is doing A levels over 3 years and had a Cambridge interview. Waiting for his LNAT, and based on that, will hear from Bristol and KCL. Also recieved a Cardiff offer, which they lowered for him as well. Just check with the university.
Reply 5
Ohh ok thank u for replying yh I will do that.
Original post by Asfoi
A friend of mine is doing A levels over 3 years and had a Cambridge interview. Waiting for his LNAT, and based on that, will hear from Bristol and KCL. Also recieved a Cardiff offer, which they lowered for him as well. Just check with the university.
Reply 6
Original post by Deenahappy
Ohh ok thank u for replying yh I will do that.

Yeah no worries. Despite what you hear on forums, admissions are flexible, it just depends on the quality of your application. Make sure if you do retake anything that you nail it. Goodluck! :smile:
Do you really think you'll be able to do well at a Russel group uni if it took you an entire extra year to get your A levels?
Original post by anonwinner
Do you really think you'll be able to do well at a Russel group uni if it took you an entire extra year to get your A levels?

Many (but not all, and not most) have and will continue to do better with poorer grades/longer time spent on A-Levels than the 'average' applicant.

This is because, in order to stay committed over the longer period, one has to really develop their motivation and immediately 'fix' the problem that caused the delay in the first place. If you can succeed after failure, you learn lessons (a lot of them).

One reason (that hasn't occured to you or many others) is that people simply change their subjects after AS - decide sciences or humanities aren't for them and switch.

Some who sail through due to natural ability may also struggle when they arrive at university, it's entirely dependent on the individual.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Comeback
Many (but not all, and not most) have and will continue to do better with poorer grades/longer time spent on A-Levels than the 'average' applicant.

This is because, in order to stay committed over the longer period, one has to really develop their motivation and immediately 'fix' the problem that caused the delay in the first place. If you can succeed after failure, you learn lessons (a lot of them).

One reason (that hasn't occured to you or many others) is that people simply change their subjects after AS - decide sciences or humanities aren't for them and switch.

Some who sail through due to natural ability may also struggle when they arrive at university, it's entirely dependent on the individual.

Changing your subjects after AS is not the same as spending 3 years doing the same A levels and unis would not look down upon an applicant for changing subjects after AS (assuming they got decent AS grades)
Changing your subjects after AS is not the same as spending 3 years doing the same A levels and unis would not look down upon an applicant for changing subjects after AS (assuming they got decent AS grades)

Point taken. However, even if A Levels were completed over three years, that doesn't mean someone is considerably less intelligent/able. For example, after 2 years you ended up with ABB, several UMS off AAA. You may take a gap year to resit a couple modules, before ending up with AAA.

Now those UMS you had to spend a whole year getting might have been accessible if you'd just revised a little differently (we're talking only hours here, with minimal changes). Or maybe they had a bad day for an exam or two.

I'm making the point because I'm actually on my third year of A-Levels right now and get good grades (As and Bs). It just so happened I didn't get what I wanted so have had to take another year to get to where I want to be.

Maybe I'm a little bias, I guess...
Point taken. However, even if A Levels were completed over three years, that doesn't mean someone is considerably less intelligent/able. For example, after 2 years you ended up with ABB, several UMS off AAA. You may take a gap year to resit a couple modules, before ending up with AAA.

Now those UMS you had to spend a whole year getting might have been accessible if you'd just revised a little differently (we're talking only hours here, with minimal changes). Or maybe they had a bad day for an exam or two.

I'm making the point because I'm actually on my third year of A-Levels right now and get good grades (As and Bs). It just so happened I didn't get what I wanted so have had to take another year to get to where I want to be.

That example is sort of different as well because ABB are good grades and resitting a few exams in a third year isn't really 'retaking the year' it's just retaking some exams.

Regardless, I didn't mean to offend anyone but I was just trying to warn OP that maybe if he struggled with A levels he would also struggle at uni.

Good luck with your exams though :smile:
That example is sort of different as well because ABB are good grades and resitting a few exams in a third year isn't really 'retaking the year' it's just retaking some exams.

Regardless, I didn't mean to offend anyone but I was just trying to warn OP that maybe if he struggled with A levels he would also struggle at uni.

Good luck with your exams though :smile:

I understand where you're coming from. You didn't offend me, I'm just very aware people label others who have to retake things in a certain way and just wanted to provide a different perspective.

Thanks, you too - good luck! :smile:
Reply 13
Yeah I agree with you it's just that I chose subjects I didn't enjoy but now with the change of subjects I'm also getting better grades.

Reply 14

Hey I did biology, chemistry, maths and physics bug then I didn't get good as grades so I changed my subjects to maths chemistry economics and psychology.

Quick Reply

Latest