The Student Room Group

Chemistry GCSE ISA!! Help!!

Hello it's me again!!

Just wanted to thank you all for helping me in biology!!! :smile: I am going to now hopefully do the chemistry ISA!

All i know is, that it is about the rate of reactions, I am using (roughly not exactly) sodium thiosulfate, hydrochloric acid and different water temperatures.

And, I am not entirely sure about what is going to come up in the papers (section 1 and 2) Please some guidance will be appreciated SO MUCH!!!!!

Thank you in advance, touchwood all goes ok and (beyond...) :smile: :smile: :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I did this ISA last week :smile:
Make sure you know your science key words and how to apply them to an answer question e.g. *repeatability* there are plenty of examples on line.

Also if your teacher gives you a copy of the case studies for paper 2 early I would advise looking at them carefully- one of the questions really confused my whole class.

If you need any more help just ask (I got 47) :smile:
Original post by science_geeks
Hello it's me again!!

Just wanted to thank you all for helping me in biology!!! :smile: I am going to now hopefully do the chemistry ISA!

All i know is, that it is about the rate of reactions, I am using (roughly not exactly) sodium thiosulfate, hydrochloric acid and different water temperatures.

And, I am not entirely sure about what is going to come up in the papers (section 1 and 2) Please some guidance will be appreciated SO MUCH!!!!!

Thank you in advance, touchwood all goes ok and (beyond...) :smile: :smile: :smile:

Fortunately I have done my chemistry one too and did the same one as you are going to do :smile:
Original post by VioletPhillippo
Make sure you know your science key words and how to apply them to an answer question e.g. *repeatability* there are plenty of examples on line.

Also if your teacher gives you a copy of the case studies for paper 2 early I would advise looking at them carefully- one of the questions really confused my whole class.

You did your last week and you already got your results wow I did mine last year still didn't got my results back :frown:
Anyways Congratzz :smile:

Thank you so much for your reply! :smile: Impressive mark! :smile: If you don't mind can you remember any of the questions? Or case studies pattern? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Fallen99
Fortunately I have done my chemistry one too and did the same one as you are going to do :smile:

Wow, that is fantastic! :smile:
Wow, that is fantastic! :smile:

:smile:
You did your last week and you already got your results wow I did mine last year still didn't got my results back :frown:
Anyways Congratzz :smile:

Thank you, I definitely found chemistry the hardest as I've already done my physics and biology but I think I've got the ISA technique now! My teacher is a very fast marker (I didn't get my biology back for 10 weeks :biggrin:)
Thank you so much for your reply! :smile: Impressive mark! :smile: If you don't mind can you remember any of the questions? Or case studies pattern? Thanks :smile:

I can't remember the questions but watch out for the case study 4 question (the one we were stuck on), all the others are pretty straightforward.

Make sure you know why one source is more useful than the other and why you discarded the other method (there are 2 questions in paper 1 and you need to know both methods).

And as I said be ready clear on your key words how to improve repeatability, or how ....will help improve repeatability :smile:
Thank you, I definitely found chemistry the hardest as I've already done my physics and biology but I think I've got the ISA technique now! My teacher is a very fast marker (I didn't get my biology back for 10 weeks :biggrin:)

U find it hard but still get such good results wow btw I am not going to get my one teacher said she is not allowed to tell the results :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
U find it hard but still get such good results wow btw I am not going to get my one teacher said she is not allowed to tell the results :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Everything is easy once you have mastered the technique!:smile::smile:
Everything is easy once you have mastered the technique!:smile::smile:

Yeah right but I still wanna know my results :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
COLLISION THEORY IS SOMETHING YOU MUST KNOW ABOUT

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did this ISA before christmas and got the same :colone: Gratz.
Original post by Mahel
COLLISION THEORY IS SOMETHING YOU MUST KNOW ABOUT

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!! I will definitely look and read that topic in particular up!! :smile::smile:
Original post by Strom
I did this ISA before christmas and got the same :colone: Gratz.

Congratulations!! I am ever so glad that you got it out of the way at Christmas time!! I am still taking the stress now! Do you remember any of the questions that came up in either papers?? It would be so helpful.. thank you!! :smile: :smile::smile::smile:
I can't remember the questions but watch out for the case study 4 question (the one we were stuck on), all the others are pretty straightforward.

Make sure you know why one source is more useful than the other and why you discarded the other method (there are 2 questions in paper 1 and you need to know both methods).

And as I said be ready clear on your key words how to improve repeatability, or how ....will help improve repeatability :smile:

ok so i have my paper 1 tomorrow and I am freaking out!! Not sure what to expect!! Please can you help me out?? What shall I revise!! I am freaking out so much :frown:
ok so i have my paper 1 tomorrow and I am freaking out!! Not sure what to expect!! Please can you help me out?? What shall I revise!! I am freaking out so much :frown:

Hiya, the best thing to do is not to panic, I tend to panic so I know it's not easy.

Paper 1:

Hypothesis- how you came to making it up - 'I found an example of a similar investigation which said that...' And explain some of the science behind the hypothesis.

Research sources
Which one was more useful and why?

9 mark question
Chosen method, equipment, the measurements you'll take (and intervals), an example of an error that may occur, how to keep it a fair test, risk assessment (identify risk, consequence and how to reduce it) - I would aim for 3.

?Mystery question? /generic question- outline another method and say why you discarded it. I don't know what it'll be

I would find an ISA mark scheme on line and it will tell you exactly what they want you to write to gain full marks as the questions very generic. Time management is very important with this paper as well- you need to write fast to include everything as you only have 45 mins which goes quicker than it sounds. If you have any others questions, just ask :smile:
Hiya, the best thing to do is not to panic, I tend to panic so I know it's not easy.

Paper 1:

Hypothesis- how you came to making it up - 'I found an example of a similar investigation which said that...' And explain some of the science behind the hypothesis.

Research sources
Which one was more useful and why?

9 mark question
Chosen method, equipment, the measurements you'll take (and intervals), an example of an error that may occur, how to keep it a fair test, risk assessment (identify risk, consequence and how to reduce it) - I would aim for 3.

?Mystery question? /generic question- outline another method and say why you discarded it. I don't know what it'll be

I would find an ISA mark scheme on line and it will tell you exactly what they want you to write to gain full marks as the questions very generic. Time management is very important with this paper as well- you need to write fast to include everything as you only have 45 mins which goes quicker than it sounds. If you have any others questions, just ask :smile:

Hi,

Thank you!! For the advice I have just recently sat it and you know what it was not that bad at all i found it easy, hope i do well in it! Also, i have my paper 2 coming up (next week) any advice for that? Anything that i should be aware of? What will come up? Thanks, and yes! You are right panicking is the worst possible scenario. In fact, i took the Bach rescue remedy before i went in so that i wouldn't panic! :smile: :smile::smile:
Hi,

Thank you!! For the advice I have just recently sat it and you know what it was not that bad at all i found it easy, hope i do well in it! Also, i have my paper 2 coming up (next week) any advice for that? Anything that i should be aware of? What will come up? Thanks, and yes! You are right panicking is the worst possible scenario. In fact, i took the Bach rescue remedy before i went in so that i wouldn't panic! :smile: :smile::smile:

Hiya,

Paper 2:
Know your science definitions/key words

Have your results table handy to quote examples (you must quote to get 3 marks).

Know the range of your independent variable and why this range was useful or not.

Read the case studies really closely- the question on case study 4 is a bit confusing as it has lots of information. :smile:

Quick Reply