The Student Room Group

c4 differentiating implicit function questions

Can anyone help me?

The equation is x^3+y^3=3xy
It is said that find the stationary values and determine whether they are maxima or minima.

I differentiate it fist and get dy/dx=(y-x^2)/(y^2-x)

and then get dy/dx=0 and y-x^2=0. So y=x^2

I have already find out the stationary points (0,0) and (cube root of 2, cube root of 4) .

(cube root of 2, cube root of 4 )is a maximum point if I substitute is into the second derivative.

However, At point (0,0) the second derivative of the function =0 then how do I know whether it is a maxima or minima?

Thanks a lot!!
Reply 1
Original post by pepperzealot
Can anyone help me?

It is said that find the stationary values and determine whether they are maxima or minima.

I have already find out the stationary points (0,0) and (cube root of 2, cube root of 4) .

(cube root of 2, cube root of 4 )is a maximum point if I substitute is into the second derivative.

However, At point (0,0) the second derivative of the function =0 then how do I know whether it is a maxima or minima?

Thanks a lot!!

try
f'(-0.1) and f'(0.1)
Reply 2
Can anyone help me?

Thanks a lot!!

Are you sure that (0,0) is a stationary point?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but it looks from what you've calculated that dy/dx is undefined at (0,0) so it may need special consideration!
Reply 3
Original post by TeeEm
try
f'(-0.1) and f'(0.1)

I have tried. But the value of y is also needed to find dy/dx. If I substitute x=0.1to the original equation to get the value of y, there will be three values of y for x=0.1..... It is really complicated!
Reply 4
Original post by davros
Are you sure that (0,0) is a stationary point?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but it looks from what you've calculated that dy/dx is undefined at (0,0) so it may need special consideration!

Yeah I think it is a correct value.... Actually there are two parts of this question. The first part is just find the x coordinates of the stationary points. I have just checked with the answer at the back of the book. It is said that their x coordinates are 0 and cube root2.. But the second part of the question there is no explanationT T
Reply 5
I have tried. But the value of y is also needed to find dy/dx. If I substitute x=0.1to the original equation to get the value of y, there will be three values of y for x=0.1..... It is really complicated!

let me tell you about this question because I did not pay much attention the first time

this curve is the folium of Descartes and there is a node at the origin which complicates things.

Are you an A level student or undergrad before I continue?
both the first and second derivatives are undefined at (0,0)
Reply 7
Original post by TeeEm
let me tell you about this question because I did not pay much attention the first time

this curve is the folium of Descartes and there is a node at the origin which complicates things.

Are you an A level student or undergrad before I continue?

Thank you very much :tongue: I am an AS student...
Reply 8
Thank you very much :tongue: I am an AS student...

Then I can assure you do not need to know how to do this at no board at A level or Further maths.

I remember a recent question on MEI C3 paper where this came up, they drew the graph to show you you were looking for a local max, so you could ignore the origin

Quick Reply