The Student Room Group

Feminism has done more harm than good.

Scroll to see replies

Feminism got women the vote. That outshines those tumblr psychopaths.
Original post by Ekemini
I am girl and i have not really researched on this whole concept of feminism but the ones i encounter on the internet make me want to really puke. Some of their views are pretty extreme. With what i see, i really feel so sorry for men. We are the ones oppressing them.

What the hell have they done to receive some of the treatment they get from feminists. If they decide to have meninists(which they already have) some females are going to be really pissed off. I think what people like Emma Watson describe feminism as, is equal fpay, maternity leaves, not firing women because they get pregnant,e.t.c which makes sense. But saying the cat calling is barbaric and so male and 'oh i can open this door by myself thank you very much' is pathetic.What do you guys think

I think you are wrong about the idea of feminism...some essays are deceiving...feminism is more of a term that we girls use to help put us on a equal ground with guys...BTW those arent really good examples of guys acting anti feminist...a great example would be a the refusal to hire a female construction worker just cause she's a female.
Reply 22
Original post by Nigerian newbie
I think you are wrong about the idea of feminism...some essays are deceiving...feminism is more of a term that we girls use to help put us on a equal ground with guys...BTW those arent really good examples of guys acting anti feminist...a great example would be a the refusal to hire a female construction worker just cause she's a female.

Makes sense. But you know we are not on equal grounds and some of it is caused by feminism in terms of the fact that both sexes now seem to be at war. You're Nigerian. Which one are you? I'm Calabar
Reply 23
Original post by Protégé
Feminism got women the vote. That outshines those tumblr psychopaths.

That's true. But that was feminism of old but feminism of today is a cause for concern
Original post by laylarose
This is very true, but not all women are feminists though, so they're not exactly going against what they preach if they don't preach it, are they? :redface: I personally find cat calling very crude and would never cat call a guy, gal or anyone in between.

How do you know that the true meaning of feminism was dumped a long time ago if you haven't done any research? But I do (sort of) agree with the fact that Western feminism can do more harm than good, as many Western feminists are misandrists who do not appreciate the true meaning of feminism. I myself am an inter-sectional feminist who believes that feminism is a less needed advocation in Western society, but is needed more so on a international scale. This is because there are varying degrees of female oppression due to other factors (e.g. racism, cultural oppression, homophobia)

Meninism is a bit silly. The basic message of general feminism is for equal rights for all genders, as I have said. There is no need for a meninist movement - men can identify as feminists just as much as women can.

This is where feminism goes all off for me, as an African woman and a *used to be* feminist, I uses to find intersectional feminist spaces all about western mostly white women tryna compete with "oh shutup about cat calling when women in Africa are being married off as children"
This is western feminist saviourism needs to die. There is real issues concerning women in the uk there doesn't need to be a competition of oppression, it's actually very condescending when white women try it with "I'm an intersectional feminist bcuz I need to save poor brown and black women"
Erm nope.
There are many african feminist movements and women activists and human rights lawyers who do their work but over shadowed by western white feminists who go on gap years and take pics with african babies and write a buzzfeed article then get international appraisal.
Sorry if I sound harsh but that's the truth about feminism.
I believe in feminist principles but many black african women like myself don't identity as one because it "others" us. We need to be saved 24/7.
Anyways that's my rant on intersectional feminism

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ekemini
Makes sense. But you know we are not on equal grounds and some of it is caused by feminism in terms of the fact that both sexes now seem to be at war. You're Nigerian. Which one are you? I'm Calabar

I'm edo.the idea of feminism is to bring both the male on female on equal grounds.
Reply 26
The concept of feminism is complex,mainly because too many so-called feminists like putting their two cents in about what defines a feminist or what empowers a woman etc.
However,I do agree with equal pay,opportunity etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by radicalboujie
This is where feminism goes all off for me, as an African woman and a *used to be* feminist, I uses to find intersectional feminist spaces all about western mostly white women tryna compete with "oh shutup about cat calling when women in Africa are being married off as children"
This is western feminist saviourism needs to die. There is real issues concerning women in the uk there doesn't need to be a competition of oppression, it's actually very condescending when white women try it with "I'm an intersectional feminist bcuz I need to save poor brown and black women"
Erm nope.
There are many african feminist movements and women activists and human rights lawyers who do their work but over shadowed by western white feminists who go on gap years and take pics with african babies and write a buzzfeed article then get international appraisal.
Sorry if I sound harsh but that's the truth about feminism.
I believe in feminist principles but many black african women like myself don't identity as one because it "others" us. We need to be saved 24/7.
Anyways that's my rant on intersectional feminism

Posted from TSR Mobile

I completely agree that there can be a competitiveness when it comes to feminism. I'm just saying that my personal activism focuses more so on the issues that face women internationally and a global scale as opposed to just focusing on the UK. That doesn't mean that I don't recognize the oppression here, though and I certainly am not an inter-sectional feminist to be politically correct. I'm inter-sectional to ensure that LGBT* and ethnic minorities such as myself are "saved" as you poetically put it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending