The Student Room Group

University Graduate, can I do an apprenticeship?

Hey, so my basic question is what's in the headline, can you do apprenticeships when you have a degree?

A bit more about my situation if anyone has any advice:

I graduate university in 2013, of which I then went out the China for a year and a bit to teach English and take some time out. I've been back in the UK since July, and looking hard for work in the Computer Networks area, with no luck.

I have had 4 actual interviews for different jobs, and god knows how many phone interviews, and at the end of the day I keep getting the same feedback, they are looking for someone who can go straight into the job and I need work experience, even when I've completed technical tests during interviews with my eyes closed. My issue is lack of physical network experience, I know the theory, but never actually touch a real network or worked with customers.

I've started asking local businesses about possible work experience and one has got back to me and said if it's possible for me to do an apprenticeship, they'd offer me that, but they aren't looking for volunteers for whatever reason.
Reply 1
I haven't actually seen anyone say you can't, however as far as I'm aware the government won't pay the employer to have you as an apprentice unless you are between a certain age bracket and/or haven't done a higher level qualification before.
I graduated in 2008,then worked in retail before having my family, I've now been a stay at home mum for 5 years and do voluntary work in the same sector that I did my degree in, to keep my brain active, they are now looking to employ an apprentice to do the voluntary job I have been doing for the past few years,this would be ideal for me, I love what I do, am knowledgeable and know the ropes however I can't apply for it due to me being a grad and the govt funding restrictions. There are very few grad jobs in the heritage sector so I feel a bit down about it all.
I hope you get to do what you want to do and that someone gives you a chance!
Reply 2
Yes you can but as Myohmy1 says there may not be the same level of funding available. I was lucky that my employer was happy to completely fund my apprenticeship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending