The Student Room Group

Maths or computing summer courses

Can anyone help me to find UK summer courses in maths or computing for a Yr 11 (going up to Yr12). Liked the look of Headstart but they don't allow students below Yr12. How hard can it be to get on a maths/computer science course that doesn't cost a fortune?! Unfortunately, I won a scholarship to private school so don't meet Sutton Trust etc requirements. I live in East Anglia but can travel! Any ideas or . . . .. work experience at a computing company?
Original post by hillfarm101
Can anyone help me to find UK summer courses in maths or computing for a Yr 11 (going up to Yr12). Liked the look of Headstart but they don't allow students below Yr12. How hard can it be to get on a maths/computer science course that doesn't cost a fortune?! Unfortunately, I won a scholarship to private school so don't meet Sutton Trust etc requirements. I live in East Anglia but can travel! Any ideas or . . . .. work experience at a computing company?

What are you looking for?

Revision? New material?
Reply 2
Original post by tombayes
What are you looking for?

Revision? New material?

Probably new material and just getting chance to meet like minded people. I enjoy Young Rewired State (computer hacking 2nd week August). My mum doesn't want me stuck wired up to my computer for the entire of summer holidays!! She's probably right!! Also anything that will help me get into universities etc.

Thanks for any help you can think of.
Original post by hillfarm101
Probably new material and just getting chance to meet like minded people. I enjoy Young Rewired State (computer hacking 2nd week August). My mum doesn't want me stuck wired up to my computer for the entire of summer holidays!! She's probably right!! Also anything that will help me get into universities etc.

Thanks for any help you can think of.

1. Summer courses will not be that helpful regarding uni applications - Good grades, and a genuine passion for the subject is enough.
2. Regarding new material for maths its a waste of time at this stage.
3. If you can code get better, if you cannot learn! This is the most important.
Reply 5
Original post by tombayes
1. Summer courses will not be that helpful regarding uni applications - Good grades, and a genuine passion for the subject is enough.
2. Regarding new material for maths its a waste of time at this stage.
3. If you can code get better, if you cannot learn! This is the most important.

OK will keep coding. I help on various forums (PeoplePerHour etc) but it doesn't placate my Mum who thinks I ought to do other stuff too (she is supportive and probably right)!!!
Thanks for your thoughts.
I did a smallpeice trust course last year. It was focussed on engineering. But I believe they do ones on electronics and computing as well.
Have a look..thoroughly recommended

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Flux_Dubstep
I did a smallpeice trust course last year. It was focussed on engineering. But I believe they do ones on electronics and computing as well.
Have a look..thoroughly recommended

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for this. I actually applied for micro computing course over weekend so fingers crossed (places now limited) but it is good to hear from someone who has been and enjoyed it. Your post much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending