The Student Room Group

Hedgehog in university?

Do you think it'd be likely that she could come with me? Hedgehogs aren't rodents, so she doesn't chew, and she doesn't smell either.
She's nocturnal, too, which means I don't have to rush back to make sure she's fed/okay, and I normally stay up pretty late at night, too.
I know a lot of places say no pets, but since this is pretty reasonable, do you think I could negotiate?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

In halls: almost definitely not. I know of one person who's been permitted to keep a pet in halls, and that was very much an exceptional case (health problems that were demonstrably lessened by having an animal).

Private landlords: can't hurt to ask! A lot of landlords put 'no pets' as standard - sometimes they mean it point blank, other times it's negotiable or they just don't want larger animals like dogs or cats. I have five mice and my landlord's fine with it. :smile:
judging by recent threads it might scare another students horse with disastrous consequences
hahahahhahaah
Original post by Joinedup
judging by recent threads it might scare another students horse with disastrous consequences

The hedgehog could ride the horse to lectures. That would be cool.
Original post by Amelie-Poulain
Do you think it'd be likely that he could come with me? Hedgehogs aren't rodents, so he doesn't chew, and he doesn't smell either.
He's nocturnal, too, which means I don't have to rush back to make sure he's fed/okay, and I normally stay up pretty late at night, too.
I know a lot of places say no pets, but since this is pretty reasonable, do you think I could negotiate?

Like the first reply said, I doubt that halls would allow it :smile: If you're in student housing though I imagine it might be okay - although check with the landlord.

I don't know how high - maintenance hedgehogs are, but you need to make sure you have the resources to make sure he's looked after properly (money for food, vet bills, bedding, etc.). Also think about keeping him safe if you have house parties and that kind of thing. :h:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
The hedgehog could ride the horse to lectures. That would be cool.

PRSOM. :lol:
Original post by Joinedup

Haha what's this about a horse?
Yep, my mum is willing to assist with anything I couldn't afford, but I am very confident in my ability to budget for anything she might need.
But it's a shame about halls because I definitely want the halls experience for the first year, and it'll really suck to have to leave her at home!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Amelie-Poulain
Haha what's this about a horse?

I'm sure I've seen 2 or 3 'can I take my horse to uni' threads in the last week... I thought it must be a really common problem
Reply 10
I don't know what was funnier to read: The horse problems or this one.

Anyway, OP, check with the uni! It can't hurt to try.
There's already enough pricks at university without you contributing more.
Nah, by the time I met mine she was ready to graduate. :wink:

Origami Bullets

:teehee:
Where's the horse thread? A hedgehog won't be allowed but how would they find out? Just take it lol. At first I thought you meant to lectures
Original post by Mezza362
Where's the horse thread? A hedgehog won't be allowed but how would they find out? Just take it lol. At first I thought you meant to lectures

Take your pick :smile::yy:

Is it not cruel to keep a hedgehog as a pet?
Original post by qwertyking
Is it not cruel to keep a hedgehog as a pet?

No crueller than keeping any other pet surely? You can get domesticated hedgehogs and wild hedgehogs, just like many other animals. :smile:
Yeah, the hedgehog I have is a domesticated African Pygmy hedgehog :smile:
Original post by Mezza362

I was wondering if I could get away with it, but I think they do room checks?
I'd have to see what my room looked like first, see if there's any hiding places for the cage, otherwise I'm sure I might be able to devise some sort of free roaming area? Because I'd really miss her if I went without her, and I'd worry she wasn't being looked after properly :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Take your pick :smile::yy:

hahaha that's insane :') I would never have considered taking my horse to uni, (not that i can particularly talk)

Quick Reply

Latest