The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
If the poster means they learned French at school from a young age then I see your point.

I don't think that is what they mean though (I think they mean it is a family etc language) but we'll see if they clarify.
Reply 21
Jedimaster
Yup, thanks for clearing that up. |I am a native french speaker but not a native of france, hopefully they won't misunderstand it in my personal statement !

may i ask when did you start learning french?
Reply 22
Lewisy-boy
Why? Some top end schools start teaching french when ur like 5, after 13 years of learning it to the high standard they teach at (im talking about top independent schools) you will have very good knowledge. Why should you be punished for learning from an early age? You have to draw the line between being raised in France and merely being a master of the language.

if you learned a language for 13 years since 5, you are not considered as a native speaker. as i have pointed out earlier, the Cambridge dictionary defines native speaker as "someone who has spoken a particular language since they were a baby, rather than having learnt it as a child or adult". if you started learning a language when you were 5, you "learnt it as a child".

the Oxford English Dictionary also defines "native speaker" as "a person who has spoken a specified language since earliest childhood, as opposed to a person who has learnt it as a second or subsequent language in later life".
so ur telling me that my friend from HK who has lived in england all his life, but spoke only cantonese to his parents until he went to school, and continued to speak only cantonese to his family all thru school, but now has english every bit as good as mine is not a "native speaker"... I think he might be. I view it as a standard, rather than arising purely out of when and how you learnt it.
Reply 24
Lewisy-boy
so ur telling me that my friend from HK who has lived in england all his life, but spoke only cantonese to his parents until he went to school, and continued to speak only cantonese to his family all thru school, but now has english every bit as good as mine is not a "native speaker"... I think he might be. I view it as a standard, rather than arising purely out of when and how you learnt it.

not to be rude, but frankly it is not up to you to decide what the definition of "native speaker" is. i have already cited the defintion of "native speaker" from two reputable dictionaries and their definition is quite different from yours.
I'm just voicing my opinion over what it meant to the OP in this context... although I don't agree with this definition being so strict and narrow.
Reply 26
Lewisy-boy
so ur telling me that my friend from HK who has lived in england all his life, but spoke only cantonese to his parents until he went to school, and continued to speak only cantonese to his family all thru school, but now has english every bit as good as mine is not a "native speaker"
That is exactly the case. He's just very fluent in it. He's not a native speaker of English as it is not his Mother Tongue (i.e. the language that he learnt first). If tomorrow I decided that I wanted to learn Spanish and practised every day for ten years to a point where I was completely fluent, that wouldn't make me a native speaker, would it?

Interesting to find this debate in the Law forum. :p:
It would give you the same standard of speech as a native speaker, so why the hell not? Are you saying that when filling in job applications he is not allowed to put English down as native standard rather than just fluent? I don't think so.
Reply 28
Lewisy-boy
It would give you the same standard of speech as a native speaker, so why the hell not? Are you saying that when filling in job applications he is not allowed to put English down as native standard rather than just fluent? I don't think so.
There's a difference between being of the same standard of a native speaker and actually being a native speaker. Native speaker is a relatively objective term. You could be native speaker and still not have a terribly good grasp of the language. It applies to the language you learned first, no matter what level you are at.

Anyway, this is a pointless debate so I shan't be adding any more to it.
Yeah I agree... I am undoubtedly wrong, was just seeing how far I could push people :wink:. At the end of the day it comes down to standard, as the above poster said.
Reply 30
Lewisy-boy
hence why im trying to learn mandarin, which is confusing the hell out of me lol).

Me too lol, characters are realllly hard :s-smilie: Hopefully my 6 months in China will help but even so. Apparently kids there can't read newspapers till their teens because its so hard! Luckily already have one asian language though since I'm fluent in Hindi.
Reply 31
a_t
Me too lol, characters are realllly hard :s-smilie: Hopefully my 6 months in China will help but even so. Apparently kids there can't read newspapers till their teens because its so hard! Luckily already have one asian language though since I'm fluent in Hindi.
I learnt Mandarin for a year. Can't remember any of it at all.

This was last year...
Reply 32
TommehR
I learnt Mandarin for a year. Can't remember any of it at all.

This was last year...

Yeah I did a course and all I remember is ni hao
Reply 33
a_t
Yeah I did a course and all I remember is ni hao
And "Ni jiao shen me ming zi?"
Hmmm yeah lol. I actually prefer the characters to the speaking ... the teacher goes too damn ruddy fast for me to take it all in, then complains I don't spend enough time on it during the week... im sorry, my degree essays require my attention.

zhe ge zhou me ni gan shen me?
what are you going to do this weekend?

meh, I know quite alot for about 5-6 weeks :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending