The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Sidney Sussex College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
*Joanna*
About 2 minutes out the back gate, 4 if you dawdle or are drunk.

It may take longer if very drunk - I believe one of my friends took almost half an hour to make that short journey (he stopped to talk to a window... :wink:).

*Joanna*
You should have a room number that starts with a C. The next letter is your flat and if you're 1-5 you're downstairs, and any other number you're upstairs. Unless you're CG, cos that flat is 2nd floor. For example, I was in CE07, so I was upstairs in flat E, room 7 (in my flat we had rooms 6-9)

Not quite: flats CA and CD are numbered from 2-5 and are upstairs (CA1 and CD1 are the fellows' rooms), and CC5 and CF5 are upstairs too. :smile:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 201
soooo.....
what are the kitchen facilities like? or are they not worth the name "kitchen"?!
Reply 202
Further to Elin's question, what are laundry facilities like in Cromwell Court? Are ironing boards provided?

Also, I'm in CF03, anyone know what it's like?
Reply 203
I also have a question, is any form of insurance included in our room costs or do we take care of that ourselves?
Inspector Gadget
Hi there, i'm sure i posted the exact q's last year. The law interviews were challenging, best advice is expect the unexpected and prepare your a$$ off :biggrin: I don't drink either but i doubt it should be a problem - it's always fun to be the evil pupeteer with intoxicated friends :wink: I'm not sure what the sports facilities are like but, and any experienced hands can add to this, there's a place called jesus green nearby? Apparently tis good for footy. :smile:

Wooh a fellow non-drinker! I particularly enjoy telling people the next day what they did the night before, with photo/video evidence if possible. Apparently this is a very annoying habbit :p:
Picking up on the insurance question, do we need to get insurance for our possesions because it said in our freshers' info, bold and underlined, that we should, but my dad insists it's an expensive waste of time. Who do I believe?!
Inspector Gadget
Thanks 4 the replies :yy: I guess i should stop being lazy and get a move on with the reading :mad: I've found my room number, CBO7, looking forward to it lol. Are the bulk of freshers located in cromwell? And is it just freshers in there?

You're in the equivalent to my old one, but looking out over King Street- hate to say it but it's a small one. There are um....I don't remember how many freshers in Cromwell but quite a lot, maybe 40ish. And yes, it is just freshers, apart from the two fellows.

fatuous_philomath
Not quite: flats CA and CD are numbered from 2-5 and are upstairs (CA1 and CD1 are the fellows' rooms), and CC5 and CF5 are upstairs too. :smile:

Ooops, forgive me, I'm getting old and have clearly forgotten!

elin89
what are the kitchen facilities like? or are they not worth the name "kitchen"?!

Variable in Cromwell- some are very small with no room to swing a cat, but some are bigger. As far as I'm aware, they all have sink, fridge, two hotplates and a Baby Belling oven thing. And some cubards to put your stuff in.

Chiron
what are laundry facilities like in Cromwell Court? Are ironing boards provided?

There is a laundry room upstairs next to CE6-9, with a washer, dryer, iron and ironing board. When you sign in, you get a laundry card from the P'lodge, which you top up with tenners (also in the P'lodge) and use to fund the washers and driers- it's currently £1.20 a cycle. There are also more washers and driers in College, which may be required if they break, which happened in my first year for most of one term. :mad:

redanator
Do you think the fact that I don't drink will prevent me from fitting in? Finally what are the sports facilities like?

No, it won't. Simple as. Contrary to popular belief, not all students are permanently inebriated. Yeah, there are drinking societies and socials the tend to revolve around booze, but that's not to say you can't go sober and not have fun. I've done it myself (though not the drinking society). We have a bar, which is well used, but not everyone that goes there drinks- a lot of the time people have work on so stick to the Coke. There are also quite a few people that don't drink at all, or not a lot, regardless of what work they've got, so don't worry!)

As for sports facilities, um....pass to be honest. I'm not the best person to answer that question!

Inspector Gadget
there's a place called jesus green nearby? Apparently tis good for footy. :smile:

Yep, Jesus Green is really close, and so is Midsummer Common.

lingolicious
Picking up on the insurance question, do we need to get insurance for our possesions because it said in our freshers' info, bold and underlined, that we should, but my dad insists it's an expensive waste of time. Who do I believe?!

I don't think it's checked whether we have insurance, and the external doors all have codes on, but that's not to say stuff never goes missing. I seem to remember someone getting a laptop stolen once, and a load of stuff was taken from the TV room too, so it does happen. I guess it's down to you, but if you're going to be taking a computer, printer, musical instrument, camera, phone etc, it all adds up to a lot of money, so it might be worth it.

Inspector Gadget
Btw i heard it's possible to get out of the KFC because I doubt i'll be eating there regularly. Is there any truth in this? However, just in case I will eventually succumb to the corporate fatcats, can anyone drop inside info me on the vegetarian options in hall? *Hopes the hint of sedition has been masked* :biggrin:

It is possible if you're Muslim or something, because the food isn't Halal, I don't think. You'd need to email and ask and provide a valid reason. Vegetarian options, like most of Hall food, is variable in quality. They frequently seem to forget that vegetarians need protein, and there are a lot of pasta dishes. Sometimes the vegetarian option is nicer than the meat, for instance, vegetarian caneloni vs 'meat' caneloni. There's always two veg options plus a carb as well, so you can eat well in Hall. Plus, the vegetarian option is normally cheaper than the meat option. And they do good puddings. :biggrin:
Reply 206
I went up thinking that I probably wouldn't go to Hall much, and would stick to cooking my own food. This didn't turn out to be the case. In the long run, I'd generally make/buy my breakfast and lunch but go to Hall for dinner in the evening. It's really cheap, and they do lovely puddings!!! (custard is particularly good). KFC is another annoying dent in your bank balance, but Hall food, and going to Formal is VERY cheap, so I'd say make the most of it!

About not drinking - I'm not much of a drinker, and in Michaelmas term especially I hardly had any alcohol, just the odd glass of wine at events and formal etc. This did NOT stop me having a good time. Don't worry! Just as I found at 6th form college, the majority of my friends drink and I fit right in regardless of the fact I'm sober. (ok, so not something one should readily admit...) And in fact, I was still down the bar every night with the rest of them, only with the diet coke. In freshers' week, if you're really wanting to avoid the alcohol, they put on a non-drinkers option on every night too. Id still say go on the bar crawl though, even if you're not drinking; I got to watch all the debauchery and make loads of new friends through telling all the stories afterwards!
Hey! =] Thinking of applying to Sidney S for 2008, and I've got a billion questions or so.. Real grateful if anyone can answer some for me - Thanks!
[the website seems to be down atm so if any of these answers can be found there I don't mind looking some other time]

How far away are the Physics and Maths areas?

Accomodation - do all rooms have internet? Do you guys have kitchens suitable for self-catering? En-suite anywhere?

Any music practice rooms and/or drum kits?

What's the average state:independent schools' students ratio?

[and finally] Can you walk/sit on the grass? :P
xPunkx
Hey! =] Thinking of applying to Sidney S for 2008, and I've got a billion questions or so.. Real grateful if anyone can answer some for me - Thanks!
[the website seems to be down atm so if any of these answers can be found there I don't mind looking some other time]

Accomodation - do all rooms have internet? Do you guys have kitchens suitable for self-catering? En-suite anywhere?

Quite a way away- http://www.cam.ac.uk/map/v4/drawmap.cgi?mp=main;xx=1900;yy=1200 - try looking at this to find the Cavendish and Maths department. In first year NatSci, I don't think you have to go to the Cavendish very often, just for practicals. Lectures are elsewhere. But if you have a bike it halves the time.

All rooms in college have internet access, but not all of the houses do, but you don't live in these til second year, and by then the situation might have changed. The kitchens are variable- all have hobs, sinks and fridges. Some have proper cookers, some have Baby Belling ovens. It is possible to self cater quite successfully. Plus, you get a small fridge in your room too. The rooms in Blundell Court have en-suites, but you only get to choose those in 2nd and 3rd year. None of the first year rooms have en-suite, sorry!

There is a music practice room, but I don't know if it has a drum kit because I've never used it...

According to my slightly out of date Alternative Prospectus, 48% are state educated. But having said that, once you're in, nobody cares. I don't suppose it matters for getting in either.

And yes, you can walk on about half of the grass. The front courts- Hall and Chapel- are off limits, and so is the Master's Garden. But we have three lovely gardens that we're allowed to use. And we have ducks. :biggrin:
Reply 209
*Joanna*
All rooms in college have internet access, but not all of the houses do, but you don't live in these til second year, and by then the situation might have changed. The kitchens are variable- all have hobs, sinks and fridges. Some have proper cookers, some have Baby Belling ovens. It is possible to self cater quite successfully. Plus, you get a small fridge in your room too. The rooms in Blundell Court have en-suites, but you only get to choose those in 2nd and 3rd year. None of the first year rooms have en-suite, sorry!

I think pretty much all of the houses have some kind of internet now. I could be wrong, but I think when they sorted wireless for Park Parade last year, they did the others houses at the same time. Regardless, as a first year you will have a room with high-speed internet access for the princely sum of about £12 a term, so that's not a problem.

And yes, you can walk on about half of the grass. The front courts- Hall and Chapel- are off limits, and so is the Master's Garden. But we have three lovely gardens that we're allowed to use. And we have ducks. :biggrin:

Yeah, the bits you're not allowed to walk on are tiny and just there to look green and square in the courtyards. There's a biiiiig (especially for somewhere in the middle of the city) area of garden that you're free to use anytime and in summer it's a great place to go to relax. I'm still not sure what the deal is with the ducks, but there's a robin that usually comes to see me when I'm in the Fellow's Garden. Especially if I have dried fruit.

You should definitely apply to Sidney, it's great :smile:
Reply 210
xPunkx
Hey! =]

Yes, there is a practise room, which you can use whenever you like, and as far as i'm aware, it does have a drum kit.

xPunkx

I know you may have been led to believe this is important, but it's really not. They don't favour one type of school over another. In any case, our ratio is about half and half (slightly more state school) and we have everyone from 'posh' public schools to northern comps. Nobody notices, or asks

xPunkx

hell yeh you can. on pretty much all of it, apart from the two front courts (small piddly bits of grass anyway so not an issue) and the masters lawn.
Wahey!
I'm especially pleased about the grass. And the drums. All the other colleges say they have pianos, organs, er.. bizarre things like harps.. but I'm sat there like 'what about the DRUMS?!?' haha. Of course they're more important :P
Thanks for answering my questions!

[I'm sure the state school thing doesn't matter but I was just 'pondering' a bit.. I'm from a selective mostly-state-funded school in Liverpool]
Reply 212
xPunkx

In the first two years the Maths lectures are at the New Museum Site and Mill Lane, both of which are within about ten minutes walk, and the Physics lectures are at the Chemical Laboratory (first year) - which is perhaps a 15 minute walk - and the New Museum Site (second year).

It's only in the third (and fourth) year that you'd have to go to the CMS for Maths and god-knows-where for Physics.. :smile:

EDIT: And on the topic of sports, Cromwell Court is right opposite Christ's Pieces, where you can also play a bit of football or throw a frisbee around if you so desired, and which in addition has four free (I think - certainly I never paid..) tennis courts. :smile:
Reply 213
Hello! I'm a prospective student for 2008 entry into medicine. I'm really considering Sidney Sussex but I really have no clue with regards to colleges so I'm not 100% sure yet. Could somebody please try to "sell" it to me? What is so great about it that I should go there? =] Unfortunately I didn't get round to seeing it when I went to an Open Day... is it quiet and secluded or quite noisy...? And what's the accomodation like? etc etc =] Hee, thankssss xxx
Reply 214
Um.
Why do I need to bring a pineapple to the Fresher's Garden Party?
At first I thought this was some inside joke and the booklet thing wasn't serious, but...I just want to check :s
Reply 215
I'm pretty sure it's a joke.

*Joanna*
Lol, somwhere in the fresher's guide for the past few years, there's been an in-joke about bringing a pineapple and one poor fresher last year turned up to the garden party with one!
datr
I'm pretty sure it's a joke.

Yes it is- you really don't need to bring a pineapple! Though I don't really know what the joke is, it was before my time...
Hi guys, i was just wondering whether you definitely can't get en-suite accommodation in you first year?
RocketTown
Hi guys, i was just wondering whether you definitely can't get en-suite accommodation in you first year?

No, there's not en-suite for first years, sorry! But seriously, if that's your deciding factor, don't let it put you off- Sidney rocks.
Reply 219
Awh, I was looking forward to hearing some ridiculous story about pineapples!

Oh yeah um. Since I'm poor, I'm going to try to apply for a bursary of sorts. Could anyone perhaps shed some light upon the criteria and stuff? Or where, how and when I could find stuff out? Maybe there's something on their site...
Hm. I guess I can just find out when I get there.

*buys pineapples*

Quick Reply

Latest