The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Sidney Sussex College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Does anyone know what we need to bring and what the college provides in terms of bedding?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
datr
Does anyone know what we need to bring and what the college provides in terms of bedding?

You are provided with a sheet, duvet in an interestingly patterned cover, and two pillows in cases. If you use this then your bedder will change it weekly, but if you choose to bring your own, you have to wash it yourself. You will need to bring towels though, and I think a few tea towels are a good idea, even though they're provided, cos the ones in the kitchen get a bit yukky.
Reply 222
Rabite
Awh, I was looking forward to hearing some ridiculous story about pineapples!

Oh yeah um. Since I'm poor, I'm going to try to apply for a bursary of sorts. Could anyone perhaps shed some light upon the criteria and stuff? Or where, how and when I could find stuff out? Maybe there's something on their site...
Hm. I guess I can just find out when I get there.

*buys pineapples*

there is stuff on the college website, but it might be a bit tricky to find. Basically, if you get a maintenance grant from the government (family income below 25,000 i think) then you're eligible for a cambridge bursary of about £3000. have a look on the cambridge website under finances or something.

Sidney also offer bursaries (though smaller amounts) for people:

- from certain areas in the country (think merseyside, derbyshire are some of the areas)
- people studying certsain subjects. Again, contact the finance tutor about this, he/she should be able to tell you more. Best to apply earlier and have the cash in place before it gets too late into term!
Reply 223
random question(s), I know there is a music practice room, where is it? do I have to book it? what about keys? is there anywhere to store instruments?
Reply 224
hello :smile:
I was wandering if there are any (physical) natural scientists from sidney out there who could shed some light on how the interviews work - are you given interviews in multiple sciences or focusing just on the one mentioned in the personal statement?
thanks
elin89
random question(s), I know there is a music practice room, where is it? do I have to book it? what about keys? is there anywhere to store instruments?

Yes, there is. I'm not sure if you need to book it in advance, but I'm pretty sure you sign the keys out of the P'lodge. I don't know about instrument storage. Priya, any idea?
Inspector Gadget
Hey all,

does anybdy know what's going on with the parking stipulations? It's just that the freshers' garden party is at 2.30 whereas in my pack it said that the parking permit is only valid from 10.30 - 11.30. Will that mean that my parents will have to park the car somewhere else after 11.30? Indeed, I think it'll be a bit awkward for them to hang around with me until 2.30 :s-smilie:

You can park up at Sidney sports ground on Huntingdon Rd after your allotted time. When you get your keys at the P'lodge, you'll get a map that'll show you how to get round the crazy one way system. It's a heck of a walk back into town, but I think there are buses. I think we just used the Park & Ride- my mum and sister stayed with me and dad went to put the car away so we only had to pay one bus fare.

There's nothing planned until the Garden Party (I don't think) so I'd take advantage of them still being here to help you unpack or go to Asda for tinned food and washing powder and other heavy stuff. I do this every term- I normally don't have to buy any food for a fortnight. :biggrin:
Reply 227
Thanks, Priya. I guess I'll have to bug the finance people when I get there. I did get a maintenance grant from the government, which means we're sufficiently poor :p:

Okay um...should I come bearing a small gift of chocolate or something for my college parents? Or is meeting them not really that momentous an occasion...
I'm so clueless :s-smilie:
Rabite

Okay um...should I come bearing a small gift of chocolate or something for my college parents? Or is meeting them not really that momentous an occasion...
I'm so clueless :s-smilie:

I didn't and I don't know anyone that did, but I'm sure it would be appreciated! I'm gutted I don't have children this year, and I'm missing the NatSci freshers' meal. :frown:
Reply 229
*Joanna*
I didn't and I don't know anyone that did, but I'm sure it would be appreciated! I'm gutted I don't have children this year, and I'm missing the NatSci freshers' meal. :frown:

I wish I'd had kids too! There's all these philosophy freshers coming in with parents who know nothing about their subject. Woe!

I smell adoption on the cards.

*mixes metaphors*
Inspector Gadget
Quick question: for the garden party, is it formal wear for parents/guardians? Also, my parents won't be coming on saturday; it shouldn't be a problem if my brother and sister fill in should it?

You can wear whatever the hell you like! The garden party is really informal, and an excuse to drink tea and eat cake. You'll meet your college parents (finding your children when you don't know what they look like is always good fun!) and listen to a speech by Sandra Dawson. I seem to remember being given name badges for my parents but I can't remember where they came from. Anyway, the upshot is, no it doesn't matter if your siblings come instead of parents. I think there is a talk or something for parents (mostly for reassurance I think) whilst you go on a college tour in subject groups, but I guess your brother and sister can relay any important unformation when they get home.
Inspector Gadget
Cheers :yy:, last question lol, i've already bought my dinner suit but will I need it straight away? The reason I ask is because if i won't be needing it then i can get my folks to bring it when they visit next time thereby saving some last-minute packing hassle.

Um.....no I don't think so. Matric dinner is just a suit. You will need it at the end of the term if you do boatie stuff and go to the Boat Club Dinner, and possibly if there's a RAG formal mid term. Or if you go to Selwyn Snow ball at the end of term.
Hope all the new first years have had a great day and are currently in the bar! Wish I was there too, but I'm still at home- we're having issues fitting things in the car, as per usual. No doubt meet some of you soon. :smile:
Reply 233
Very odd question which maybe linguists/Russianists will be able to answer... What is Natasha Franklin like? If I get an interview then I believe I will be interviewed by her.

I just like to know what to expect!
Reply 234
she's lovely :smile: she did my interview and she's my Director of Studies now. she's very... Russian if you know what I mean, but don't be scared :smile:
Reply 235
Oh right! Thanks! I'd heard she was really nice, although I'd heard some really tricky questions she'd asked too!

Incidentally, who else would be interviewing for Russian (probably)?

Thank you. :smile: (I apologise for over-using the exclamation mark... :wink:)
Applied to Sidney Sussex for Natural Sciences!
Reply 237
Same here, applied for 2008 Maths :-p. Wish us luck.
Same here applied for Natural Sciences (Physical)- just got my letter confirming my application was received today :biggrin:
This poor thread's been abandoned, so I'll post my interview-related question in here. :p:

Alongside two interviews I'm having at Sidney (one with a Fellow, and one with a DoS), I was told in my letter from the college to attend another interview at Queens. This interview is with the Queens DoS for Theology (the subject I'm applying for).

The Sidney Sussex website talks about the two interviews I have at the college, but doesn't mention interviews at other colleges. Is it normal for my subject? And if not, for what reason might I be having this interview?

I'm just asking out of curiosity, in the hope that I might know what to expect on the day!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending