The Student Room Group

Gcse results

Hi I'm doing my GCSEs this summer, I'm aiming for: 5A*s 4As and 1B. Is this good enough for cambridge?
Original post by Bennyjoe99
Hi I'm doing my GCSEs this summer, I'm aiming for: 5A*s 4As and 1B. Is this good enough for cambridge?

OF COURSE! Cambridge don't care about GCSEs as much as Oxford, and I've heard tales of people getting in with 2 A*s and some Cs, so yes. It's the alevels that really matter, so my advice is to keep working hard, get those GCSEs and then work equally hard for alevel. Good luck :biggrin:
Cambridge don't care about GCSEs as much as Oxford

What would Oxford be looking for? 6-8 A*s depending on your school?

Hey, it's good that you're thinking about this now.
But guess what... Cambridge does not have a GCSE entrance requirement (unless you plan on studying Medicine or Veterinary Medicine)!
A-Levels are what matter the most.

This of course isn't to say 'GCSE's don't matter', as they will affect the college/sixth form you go to and in turn, your A-Level results. But, your A-Levels hold the most weight in their decisions to admit you.
Regardless, your grades look brilliant, and perhaps you may do even better, considering your high aspirations. Focus on getting those grades this summer and good luck to you!
:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Strom
OF COURSE! Cambridge don't care about GCSEs as much as Oxford, and I've heard tales of people getting in with 2 A*s and some Cs, so yes. It's the alevels that really matter, so my advice is to keep working hard, get those GCSEs and then work equally hard for alevel. Good luck :biggrin:

Thank you so much
Reply 5
Original post by Jamesinatr

More like a A-A* majority I'd say :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by QueenOfSheba
Hey, it's good that you're thinking about this now.
But guess what... Cambridge does not have a GCSE entrance requirement (unless you plan on studying Medicine or Veterinary Medicine)!
A-Levels are what matter the most.

This of course isn't to say 'GCSE's don't matter', as they will affect the college/sixth form you go to and in turn, your A-Level results. But, your A-Levels hold the most weight in their decisions to admit you.
Regardless, your grades look brilliant, and perhaps you may do even better, considering your high aspirations. Focus on getting those grades this summer and good luck to you!
:smile:

This has been really helpful, thanks a bunch

I'm guessing minimum 4 and the rest As would be fine.
Reply 8

Their website says:http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/entrance-requirements

It is more important that a potential Oxford applicant has a GCSE profile which is strong overall (ie contains a large majority of A and A* grades).

They also say https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1067/~/what-gcse-results-do-i-need-to-get-into-oxford%3F

When we look at GCSE results, we look at them in the context of the overall performance of the school or college where you studied. So if, for example, you didn’t get all A* and A grades, but your results were among the best in your year group, that will be taken into account.
Reply 9

Read what Cambridge says: http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/requirements/thefacts.html

Quick Reply

Latest