The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Fine Art interview day

Hello all,

So i received an interview invitation and booked my date for 4th Feb.

anyone know what goes on at these interviews as it's quite a few hours long 1pm til 4:30pm. Is it one where a group of assigned tutors look at your portfolio whilst you get shown around and then you're invited back in with a tutor to talk more about the portfolio and why I would want to stud fine art?
Reply 1
I had one of these interviews just two days ago!
First off, it's all super relaxed and everyone's beyond friendly and are just keen to make you comfortable. When I got there we were greeted by a member of staff and taken into a waiting room where we all received a presentation from the head of department then a final year student. They talked about the department, life as an arts student then about Reading Uni life in general. We then had a tour of the department and facilities etc, all together. Once that was done, we all waited with our parents back in that room and just chilled till we got called to interview, which takes place with one tutor/professor a final year student. Basically, I got my portfolio and sketchbooks out on the table and I swear to goodness I wasn't asked about my work once! No 'so tell me about this piece' or 'what unit of work was this from'- nothing, which I thought was kind of weird but I guess they just wanted to get a general overview of the sort of work you're producing without you having to explain anything. They were more interested in me as a person, what extra curricular's I do, why I wanted to go to Reading etc then we spoke at length about which course I'd applied for would be best suited for me (I applied for two separate joint honors). So I went in there with all this intelligent and insightful stuff to say about my work and just ended up having a really nice chat and a bit of a laugh! So, my advice would be to put a little label on pieces of work that may need briefly explaining (so maybe a title of what unit of work it came from/ what artist inspired it) just to give them a bit more guidance when just flicking quickly through your portfolio, like they did with me! Most of all, be yourself- be chirpy, chatty, look them in the eye and don't stress about it, I had a genuinely really nice day...
Hope this is helpful, and best of luck!!!
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest