The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Feminism has done more harm than good

I am girl and i have not really researched on this whole concept of feminism but the ones i encounter on the internet make me want to really puke. Some of their views are pretty extreme. With what i see, i really feel so sorry for men. We are the ones oppressing them.

What the hell have they done to receive some of the treatment they get from feminists. If they decide to have meninists(which they already have) some females are going to be really pissed off. I think what people like Emma Watson describe feminism as, is equal pay, maternity leaves, not firing women because they get pregnant,e.t.c which makes sense. But saying the cat calling is barbaric and so male and 'oh i can open this door by myself thank you very much' is pathetic.What do you guys think

I know some people are going to come on here and say I am not educated, don't know what feminism is all about blah blah. But lets face it. Feminism today is not what is was in the 1900's. Back then I would have supported it and while some feminism today raises valid points, it is far being outnumbered by radical feminism
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, having the right to vote has deffo done me more harm than good.
Reply 2
Yeah the Women's Suffrage Movement didn't classify themselves as "feminists" and had existed way before feminism got it's popularity, so no you shouldn't be thanking feminists for getting you the vote because they quite simply didn't.
(edited 9 years ago)
Research it a bit more before stating its harmful.
Reply 4
Some women (and even men for that matter) wonder why chivalry appears to be extinct. Well in my eyes, feminism is partly responsible for its demise. Using the door anology in the original post, something as simple as that - a man holding a door open for a women, or offering to help her with a heavy load - can be considered patronising and even offensive by some feminists.
That's only an anecdote and not based on any real evidence, but maybe a way feminism has done more harm than good.
Original post by SnooFnoo
Research it a bit more before stating its harmful.

OP, ignore the above poster (no offence meant/intended) (^)

With the research done (that the above poster suggests); you will still come to the realization that is a complete and utter waste of time, space and human resources.

i say this in liu of recent changes to the rape laws and things like that. this is because, in a First world country (not third world); quite plainly:

there. is. no. need. for. feminism.

and as far as i'm concerned, until a case can be highlighted which shows the need for it in a first world country; all opinions and 'facts' which support feminism (or 'equality' - if it is about equality, wheres' the support for men..?) are worthless.
I think that awareness of the difficulties faced by both genders is important if we want a just and fair society.

The problem with feminism is not so much the fact that it exists, or that of itself is harmful. I think that the problem is that it has retreated to ivory towers of scholarship, with professional feminists making careers out of being feminist theorists. This creates strong incentives among the ranks of these academics to seek inequalities, however academic or symbolic in nature, and I think it leads to over-analysis. And it is very difficult to take issue with any of it without being branded a misogynist.

Emma Watson is exactly the sort of figure modern feminism needs.
Reply 7
Original post by Twinpeaks
Yeah, having the right to vote has deffo done me more harm than good.

If you are a girl the fact that you are able to vote is good but is not the point of my statement. The ones that gave us the right to vote are valid feminists. The feminists of today are pathetic. Apart from Emma Watson
I saw a statement someone made about how two boys were walking and there was a girl behind them. They walked through a door and did not bother leaving it open for the girl. They said chivalry is dead. Feminism is partly to blame for that. Men don't like the stress anymore.
You open the door for them, they say you are being sexist and they can do it on their own.
THAT is the feminism I have a problem with
Because of course, Internet feminists truly represent the many views that encompass feminism and the work that these women and men have done to ensure that girls like you aren't expected to stay at home and keep your mouth shut.

Jesus...

Also, you do realise that feminism often helps men too, like helping male rape victims and fighting for paternal rights?

Not all feminists are man haters, just as not all men are sexists.
Reply 9
Original post by All_TheCyanide
Because of course, Internet feminists truly represent the many views that encompass feminism and the work that these women and men have done to ensure that girls like you aren't expected to stay at home and keep your mouth shut.

Jesus...

Also, you do realise that feminism often helps men too, like helping male rape victims and fighting for paternal rights?

Not all feminists are man haters, just as not all men are sexists.

Maybe I should rephrase. I did not mean to say ALL feminists need a rethink. But some views of some feminists are EXTREME and cannot be comprehended
Reply 10
And my definition of harm is that it is creating an ever widening divide between the sexes
Original post by Ekemini
Maybe I should rephrase. I did not mean to say ALL feminists need a rethink. But some views of some feminists are EXTREME and cannot be comprehended

But that would be like telling my Muslim friend that she is not allowed her religion because some idiots have extremist views and use it as a prop for being nasty.

When nasty individuals get hold of an ideology, they will twist that ideology to suit them.

Saying "feminism has done more harm than good" is a ridiculous statement when you claim that you haven't even researched it. You can't take the views of a minority and tell the well-meaning majority that their fight for equal rights shouldn't continue.
Feminazis exist. Yes. These are the minority and every group of people have extremists.

The issues I have with today's society is

1) cat calling/stopping women In the street. It's not acceptable, it's not complimentary, it's intimidating. I'd like to walk down the street with out any bother, but I am unable to do this.

2) I dislike the fact that I feel I can't (and my bf also feels I cant) leave my house after dark for fear of attack/being followed. This shouldn't be the case, and wouldn't be the case if I were male.

3) the pay gap. Gender is still a cause for pay gap in the UK and yes I understand what you're going to say "equal pay act, it's aginst the law to pay a woman less yada yada yada" but ya know what else is against the law? Cocaine. You know what people still do? Cocaine. Just because a law is in place does not mean it's obeyed. Gender pay gap is well documented.

There are other issues but Until the above is addressed and addressed fully, I will always support true feminism.
Reply 13
But that would be like telling my Muslim friend that she is not allowed her religion because some idiots have extremist views and use it as a prop for being nasty.

When nasty individuals get hold of an ideology, they will twist that ideology to suit them.

Saying "feminism has done more harm than good" is a ridiculous statement when you claim that you haven't even researched it. You can't take the views of a minority and tell the well-meaning majority that their fight for equal rights shouldn't continue.

Like the person above said: Feminazis exist. Its not that I said feminism as a whole should stop. There are extremists in every movement and I am not all about those extremes
Reply 14
Original post by SnooFnoo
Feminazis exist. Yes. These are the minority and every group of people have extremists.

The issues I have with today's society is

1) cat calling/stopping women In the street. It's not acceptable, it's not complimentary, it's intimidating. I'd like to walk down the street with out any bother, but I am unable to do this.

2) I dislike the fact that I feel I can't (and my bf also feels I cant) leave my house after dark for fear of attack/being followed. This shouldn't be the case, and wouldn't be the case if I were male.

3) the pay gap. Gender is still a cause for pay gap in the UK and yes I understand what you're going to say "equal pay act, it's aginst the law to pay a woman less yada yada yada" but ya know what else is against the law? Cocaine. You know what people still do? Cocaine. Just because a law is in place does not mean it's obeyed. Gender pay gap is well documented.

There are other issues but Until the above is addressed and addressed fully, I will always support true feminism.

You forgot about Rotherham-like cases. Seems more important imo.
We didn't hear feminists on that, it's easier to complain about the size of sandwiches probably.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ekemini
Like the person above said: Feminazis exist. Its not that I said feminism as a whole should stop. There are extremists in every movement and I am not all about those extremes

"Feminazis" do you realise how ridiculous that word is and offensive to the millions who died as a result of the REAL Nazis? Feminists haven't killed millions. Stop equating a few stupid extremists to a horrendous group who murdered millions.
Don't get me wrong there is a string of issues I could bring up but some i feel are a little emotive for TSR and are prone to trolling and thus could be triggering for readers
"Feminazis" do you realise how ridiculous that word is and offensive to the millions who died as a result of the REAL Nazis? Feminists haven't killed millions. Stop equating a few stupid extremists to a horrendous group who murdered millions.

Unsure if you're being sarcastic. But in any case apologies. I simply meant extremists, particularly those who dictate their twisted versions of ideologies
Reply 18

Ok. Calm down. No need to get heated up. This is what I feel and I may not have done any research but I know there are some ridiculous extremists views out there which true feminists need to tackle so the movement can be taken seriously. Right now their reputation ain't so good.
Reply 19
Original post by Josb
You forgot about Rotherham-like cases. Seems more important imo.
We didn't hear feminists on that, it's easier to complain about the size of sandwiches probably.

EXACTLY. Or on cases where a woman accuses a man of rape and the feminists support on her but when it turns out that she falsely accused him, they are nowhere to be found. Most of todays feminists ruffle up their feathers on unimportant issues.

Latest