The Student Room Group

Choosing a levels... which science?

i have chosen to take maths and economics due to wanting to pursue them post a levels, and geology due to my love of the subject however i am finding it very hard to choose my fourth option. i think i want to take a subject that i enjoy but also will help me fight for a top uni place.
at the moment i think its between physics or chemistry (i got a*s in both from my mocks, however i am better at chemistry). at the moment i am taking aqa chemistry and an igcse in physics and am finding chemistry very easy, and physics slightly harder but not too bad. i have been told taking an mfl is regarded highly but i dont not love spanish enough and there is a lack of good spanish teachers at my school. any suggestions? the subject i want to take is more to help me to meet a universitys requirement grades, such as lse, instead of helping to carve a different career path, thanks.
Original post by jamieboo22
i have chosen to take maths and economics due to wanting to pursue them post a levels, and geology due to my love of the subject however i am finding it very hard to choose my fourth option. i think i want to take a subject that i enjoy but also will help me fight for a top uni place.
at the moment i think its between physics or chemistry (i got a*s in both from my mocks, however i am better at chemistry). at the moment i am taking aqa chemistry and an igcse in physics and am finding chemistry very easy, and physics slightly harder but not too bad. i have been told taking an mfl is regarded highly but i dont not love spanish enough and there is a lack of good spanish teachers at my school. any suggestions? the subject i want to take is more to help me to meet a universitys requirement grades, such as lse, instead of helping to carve a different career path, thanks.

What do you want to study at university?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Edminzodo
What do you want to study at university?

Posted from TSR Mobile

an economics orientated degree, something leading to banking of some sort
Which ever one you enjoy most. Personally I would rather do Physics :smile:
an economics orientated degree, something leading to banking of some sort

What about Further Maths?
Reply 5
Further maths would be a very good choice if you're up for it
Physics is the one. Maths, Economics, Physics and Geology make a good combination.
Reply 7
What about Further Maths?

it looks appealing, and will help with the economics degree however at my school maths and further maths count for one subject, meaning people who do further maths only have two extra lessons a fortnight to do both courses compared to the people taking normal maths. also i got told by my teacher the only reason you should take maths is if you want to take it on at a degree (which although would help, is not obligatory)
If you're good at memorizing things then Chemistry
If you can grasp concepts easily then Physics

Personally, i like Chemistry more than Physics
it looks appealing, and will help with the economics degree however at my school maths and further maths count for one subject, meaning people who do further maths only have two extra lessons a fortnight to do both courses compared to the people taking normal maths. also i got told by my teacher the only reason you should take maths is if you want to take it on at a degree (which although would help, is not obligatory)

You should ask your teacher if he/she thinks you'll be able to cope. If you can do Maths, then why not? If you want to study Economics at LSE, you're going to need Further Maths.
Reply 10

For Economics, ideally you'd want Maths/F Maths/Economics. Geology can also work quite well I suppose if you want to become some sort of oil tycoon I suppose. So if I'm honest I'd go for F Maths as it will be the most help for you in the future (and in applying to top unis). You'll want to do as many stats modules as you can for economics.

Physics/Chemistry are also well respected, and especially if you want to go into a geology degree they'd be useful. If you want to go into an econ degree it doesn't matter which of the two you pick and a geology degree wouldn't care either.. They are both very good subjects to aid a geology degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
You should ask your teacher if he/she thinks you'll be able to cope. If you can do Maths, then why not? If you want to study Economics at LSE, you're going to need Further Maths.

okay, i will do, thanks:smile:
okay, i will do, thanks:smile:

But ultimately, do what you love! Good luck.
Chemistry is my life :heart:
Reply 14
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Chemistry is my life :heart:

but the gcse at the moment is scarily easy, i dont want to be vacuumed into this false sense of security as been told that the a level is a big step up :afraid:
but the gcse at the moment is scarily easy, i dont want to be vacuumed into this false sense of security as been told that the a level is a big step up :afraid:

Yes it most definitely is a big step up but it is not an impossible step up. Plus you will notice that step with whatever subject you pick. Honestly chemistry is just so fun, what I find with chemistry is you really have to understand the concept and imagine it in your head. That's what makes it so fun. It is challenging but the pro's definitely do out weigh the cons in my opinion.
OP don't listen to you techer, take Further Maths. Banking is extremely competitive, and they usually hire people from target universities, and getting into said universities for Economics is tough. FM well help your chances of getting into university and help with Economics. As for science, if you do Maths and Further Maths, then it just boil down to the subject you enjoy most.

Quick Reply

Latest