The Student Room Group

Am I eligible to do medicine??

Okay, so right now I'm in year 12 and I'm studying maths, chemistry and biology so far I've gotten c,b,b in my mocks trying, the only reason I've achieved this is because my gcse grades weren't that great as I didn't try as hard as I should have and I accept that I got 2 As one in English language and the other in maths and the rest I got 6 bs 😌, 2 cs and a d, so as you can see not that great, I've managed to secure a one off work placement with a leading plastic surgeon and I do other work placements, do u guys think If I manage to get 3 as this year that'll make up for the gcse results?
And thanks
Original post by queen_pink
Okay, so right now I'm in year 12 and I'm studying maths, chemistry and biology so far I've gotten c,b,b in my mocks trying, the only reason I've achieved this is because my gcse grades weren't that great as I didn't try as hard as I should have and I accept that I got 2 As one in English language and the other in maths and the rest I got 6 bs , 2 cs and a d, so as you can see not that great, I've managed to secure a one off work placement with a leading plastic surgeon and I do other work placements, do u guys think If I manage to get 3 as this year that'll make up for the gcse results?
And thanks

What did you get in GCSE Sciences? That could strike some universities out for you (particularly if you got Cs in sciences) but I don't think those GCSEs will stop you from studying Medicine per se although obviously you'd be in a better position if you had better GCSEs. GCSEs are only one part of the application process though, other aspects like AS results, UKCAT/BMAT results and interview performance are all also taken into consideration and often more important. My main worry is that you got BBC in your mocks - you're going to absolutely need better grades than that in your final exams to have a reasonable chance of getting in.
Reply 2
Yes you're right, I have 3-4 months till my exams and I'm going to try and stretch myself, and I got 2 bs in science, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay, so right now I'm in year 12 and I'm studying maths, chemistry and biology so far I've gotten c,b,b in my mocks trying, the only reason I've achieved this is because my gcse grades weren't that great as I didn't try as hard as I should have and I accept that I got 2 As one in English language and the other in maths and the rest I got 6 bs ������, 2 cs and a d, so as you can see not that great, I've managed to secure a one off work placement with a leading plastic surgeon and I do other work placements, do u guys think If I manage to get 3 as this year that'll make up for the gcse results?
And thanks

GCSE AA BBBBBB CC D (2A 6B 2C & 1D)
AS (mocks) BBC and you tried (I think you are saying)

Are you only doing 3 AS levels? That's going to be a problem.

Frankly, based on years of experience with students and their exam results and outcomes I doubt you will get AAA at AS and then AAA at A2. I will be happy to be wrong but I think you need to be a little more realistic.

Excel yourself, get AAA at AS then you can consider applying. But with those GCSEs and only 3AS levels you are going to find it very difficult. You may need to apply post A2 or post degree.

Sorry, but sometimes you need to be blunt
Why are you only doing three AS levels?
Reply 5
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Why are you only doing three AS levels?

Dropped sociology, wanted to focus more on those three.
Dropped sociology, wanted to focus more on those three.

That is, basically, going to prevent you applying to medicine. Your only option will be to get AAA at A2 and apply post A levels with poor GCSEs and 3 AS levels (again not great) or do a degree and apply post degree.
I don't think gcses are that important, if you get 3 good AS levels, i.e. AAB or higher, then your eligibility is enhanced.
What in particular is it that you want to do? There are other options within the medical field such as midwifery, operating department practice etc that you may like and it is not as difficult to get into grades wise
Of course your eligible, the question is whether you stand a chance. You actually stand a low chance unfortunately but I'm not saying you will not get in, there is still a chance.
Original post by sunnydespair
I don't think gcses are that important, if you get 3 good AS levels, i.e. AAB or higher, then your eligibility is enhanced.

With only 3 AS results AAB would be useless for medicine. And, for most medical schools GCSEs ARE important whether youthink so or not. Sorry.
as someone said being honest it the way forward here, its how life is.
You don't have a chance with those gcses.
You should look into graduate medicine or a alternative career.
Good luck.
I think 3 good AS levels in maths, bio and chem is a starting point. But you might not be eligible to apply until your AS levels are converted to A2 (i.e. you might have to take a year out)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending