The Student Room Group

I'm too scared to go to a lecture on my own?

There's a lecture I really want to go to next month (http://www.gresham.ac.uk/lectures-and-events/rosetta-unlocking-secrets-from-ancient-egypt-to-a-comet) but I don't have anyone to go with, and I feel intimidated as it's such a prestigious place to have a lecture and I feel like I'll be the only person my age there . . . But I really want to go! Any advice?
Go for it, no regrets. Trust me it's worth going, because you want to be there!

If you don't then you'll feel bad about it, if you do go you'll get to say ''Yeah I did it independently, I went outside my comfort zone and really enjoyed it'' Everyone feels nervous even professional's the difference is they're not afraid of the haters, of the people who will judge you, why because they're doing what they want!

DO IT!
Original post by Edminzodo
There's a lecture I really want to go to next month (http://www.gresham.ac.uk/lectures-and-events/rosetta-unlocking-secrets-from-ancient-egypt-to-a-comet) but I don't have anyone to go with, and I feel intimidated as it's such a prestigious place to have a lecture and I feel like I'll be the only person my age there . . . But I really want to go! Any advice?

Go? I have been to lectures where civil rights leaders/eminent political activists and local politicians visit. One of my peers also introduced the city Mayor before he spoke at an event outside my college. :u: And I recently went to one alone (my professor invited me because he would be one of the speakers, but it was like late at night and he said he'd give us credit for it. :colone:) I went to it alone because it was like...going to class alone, just...at an upscale venue.

I mean play with your phone, or whatever. You'd be surprised how many people turn up alone. Network. Don't miss out on something you really want to do because you'll be alone but I mean whatever.

Going to lectures like these as a young person is weird, but it's definitely worth it. I've been to numerous lectures at the Royal Society of Chemistry and Geological Society where I swear I'm the only person under 40 (definitely felt like that at the RSC!) but nobody really cares. I always go alone and it's only a problem if you make it a problem - it's a lecture after all, not a social event! I went to one lecture with friends, never again. They were all a pain in the backside and none of them appreciated it.

As someone above said, a lot of people "network" in these events. You don't have to do that, I definitely don't! They've probably got a space where you can just do your own thing until the lecture starts.

You're not going to have people approach you saying "How dare you come here, you ignorant little child"! They're public lectures and they're open for everyone and once you've gone once, you'll be more than happy to go again. I was actually thinking about going to some of the Gresham College lectures, I picked up a little information booklet about them from Waterstones last year!

A good idea that I do: check out the route on Google Streetview. That way you'll be totally familiar with the way there so you'll be calmer when you arrive. Also don't arrive ridiculously early. I always do this but it is not a good idea because you end up awkwardly staring into space for an hour.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Go! It looks to be an excellent lecture. Carpe diem.
Original post by Gott
I was thinking about going to a Richard Dawkins lecture and had the same problem, then I finally desided to get a ticket, went through several links past the 'tickets available' page and it was fully booked (grrrrrrrrrrr) :frown:

:frown:

In fairness though, Richard Dawkins is incredibly annoying, you probably weren't missing out.
Thank you, everyone. Is it okay to email them asking how long the lecture will be, as it's a school night?
Reply 7
Thank you, everyone. Is it okay to email them asking how long the lecture will be, as it's a school night?

Of course. I'd guess 90 mins...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gott
How is he annoying? it's a joy to hear him putting down INFINITELY more annoying theists and advocate scence.

Because the way he does that is gigantically banal and many others have done it 1,000x beforehand except they didn't do it so smugly because they weren't hiding behind the superiority-facade of being a "scientist".

Sure, although they're usually 60 minutes (I don't think I've ever been to a lecture longer than 70). There's something a drink reception afterwards but obviously you don't need to go there.

Original post by Gott
How is he annoying? it's a joy to hear him putting down INFINITELY more annoying theists and advocate scence.

He's rude, incredibly arrogant and above all, totally ignorant of his opponents. He is completely incapable of understanding the concept of faith. As TorpidPhil said, none of his arguments are in the slightest bit new, his only appeal is his rudeness and the fact that he's a well-known scientist. He's no better than the religious fundamentalists he has dedicated his previously productive life campaigning against.
Original post by Gott
He just can't comprehend the stupidity of theists and as for rudeness he has unbelievable patience 'debating' with these idiots and trying to convince them of the worth of entering the enlightenment, whereas Hitchins just said you are the enemy and so I shall destroy you and did every time in argument #hitchslap

Richard Dawkins doesn't know what a debate is. He gets off from mocking his opponents, he wouldn't know what a fair debate is if it stared him in the face. I'm an atheist, but I think he is a total moron. He is complete denial about the positive effects religion can have and is unable to comprehend the fact that there is absolutely nothing wrong with believing in religion if it's used for your benefit and the benefit of others. So what if it can't be scientifically proven? If you can use your religion to improve your own lives and the lives of others, how on earth can you say it's a bad thing?

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending