The Student Room Group

QMUL UCAS/UKCAT help

A simple question - With 480 ucas points, what sort of ukcat would i need? thanks
with medicine and dentistry its more about solid grades from a respected 3 to 4 a-levels rather than ucas points. but with that amount of ucas points i can only imagine you are a high achiever so around 2200 total would be an adequate score for most universities that offer medicine and dentistry. My friend who in AS for AABB in 3 respected and 1 language got like 1900 got 4 rejections and 1 interview fyi.
Original post by LeKyleRemzi
with medicine and dentistry its more about solid grades from a respected 3 to 4 a-levels rather than ucas points. but with that amount of ucas points i can only imagine you are a high achiever so around 2200 total would be an adequate score for most universities that offer medicine and dentistry. My friend who in AS for AABB in 3 respected and 1 language got like 1900 got 4 rejections and 1 interview fyi.

Medical schools do NOT use UCAS points. They will require AAA or A*AA plus different UKCAT scores which vary from uni to uni. Languages are "respected" A levels. Whatever that means? 1900 is a poor UKCAT score. That's only 425 average. Most need in excess of 2600. What medical school did your friend get this interview from?
UKCAT is important but so are your AS levels. I think you should invest sufficient time into your UKCAT over the summer holidays, and until then focus on our AS levels.
Original post by russellwallace
Medical schools do NOT use UCAS points. They will require AAA or A*AA plus different UKCAT scores which vary from uni to uni. Languages are "respected" A levels. Whatever that means? 1900 is a poor UKCAT score. That's only 425 average. Most need in excess of 2600. What medical school did your friend get this interview from?

Birmingham university. and if perhaps you read what i said wrong i said 4 Alevels the guy who posted this spoke about ucas points not grades so thats why i said that and languages are not respected in comparison to something like: Maths, Physics, FM, Chemistry, Computer Science, Psychology and biology. I cant speak too much about UKCAT exams because personally I have not researched nor had any intentions to apply for courses that require it so i can only speak from what i have heard from friends who have received interviews for dentistry.
Birmingham university. and if perhaps you read what i said wrong i said 4 Alevels the guy who posted this spoke about ucas points not grades so thats why i said that and languages are not respected in comparison to something like: Maths, Physics, FM, Chemistry, Computer Science, Psychology and biology. I cant speak too much about UKCAT exams because personally I have not researched nor had any intentions to apply for courses that require it so i can only speak from what i have heard from friends who have received interviews for dentistry.

Birmingham doesn't use the ukcat as part of the application.
Reply 6
Hi ,

I am an international student , I am very worried about UKCAT , specifically , Verbal reasoning ,
Is there any help to increase my Verbal reasoning score , apart from the UKCAT website ?

Thank you
Original post by curtis110
Birmingham doesn't use the ukcat as part of the application.

Regardless he took that test as part of his application and got 4 rejections and 1 offer with the AS grades of AABB - A - Maths, A - Some language, B - Chemistry and B in Biology.
(edited 9 years ago)

You are just wrong about language A levels. For medicine (which is what we are talking about) and dentistry Chemistry and Biology and any modern language will be accepted at most Medical schools. And even your friend who got the interview, one of thier As was in "some language"
Reply 9
I heard that barts medical school (QMUL) use ukcat/ucas in a 50/50% weighting when choosing candidates for interview? So they're the only medical school who use ucas points as far as I know.
Original post by russellwallace
You are just wrong about language A levels. For medicine (which is what we are talking about) and dentistry Chemistry and Biology and any modern language will be accepted at most Medical schools. And even your friend who got the interview, one of thier As was in "some language"

Although languages are 'accepted' they are less valued in comparison to an A-level that is more respected in general such as the ones mentioned above. additionally both dentistry and medicine are equally as hard to get into because of how competitive they are.
Although languages are 'accepted' they are less valued in comparison to an A-level that is more respected in general such as the ones mentioned above. additionally both dentistry and medicine are equally as hard to get into because of how competitive they are.

Can you please give me some evidence of that. Preferably not anecdotal and something that another student told you. What you are saying is just plain WRONG.

I have no idea what your second point is supposed to mean?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending