The Student Room Group

Year 13, Feeling really demotivated.

So you guys understand the whole story ill start from the beginning of the year. I started year 13 doing Computing - A2, Media BTEC 120 Credits, AS+A2 ICT and AS Maths and although it was hard i would revise around 4 hours a day and i was doing fine i was loving school because of the challenge i felt i was always going to learn something new and i was then i sent off my ucas....
Application Sent to:
King's College London - Comp-Sci
Queen Mary - Comp-Sci
Bangor University - Comp-Sci
Plymouth University - Comp-Sci
Swansea University - Comp-Sci

So first offer was bangor
Bangor - 260 ucas
Kings - rejected
Plymouth - 300 ucas
Swansea - BBB (DM) - Crazy offer
Queen Mary - Maths Test

So after receiving a request for examination in maths for a chance to get an offer i was eccentric then i aced the test and got an offer.

Queen Mary - B - Computing - DD - Media

With all my offers into consideration besides Swansea i called each of them up asking if you required all my subjects and none of them did and Queen Mary was happy for me to keep the subjects they are asking for and drop the rest and baring in mind im making queen mary my firm i dropped Maths and ICT now after a week of doing 1 a-level and 2 BTECS i started to feel really board in school like i had no reason to actually go in because my computer science teacher is very bad at teaching so i taught my self all of AS and same with A2 pretty much but i felt my self struggling to get out of bed in the morning with the frame of mind like '**** school ill revise here' then spending the rest of the day slaying noobs on call of duty which quite clearly is not a productive use of my time.

With all of that being said and to make things clear the story leads up to right now as im typing this post and I need some advice on perhaps other people that have experienced similar attitudes towards school however still do have a strong ambition to reach success. anything would be helpful because im not sure how long it will be before all my revision and staying in front of my work wont matter anymore because of the amount of time im missing recently.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by LeKyleRemzi
So you guys understand the whole story ill start from the beginning of the year. I started year 13 doing Computing - A2, Media BTEC 120 Credits, AS+A2 ICT and AS Maths and although it was hard i would revise around 4 hours a day and i was doing fine i was loving school because of the challenge i felt i was always going to learn something new and i was then i sent off my ucas....
Application Sent to:
Queen Mary - Comp-Sci

Bangor - 260 ucas
Kings - rejected
Plymouth - 300 ucas
Queen Mary - Maths Test

So after receiving a request for examination in maths for a chance to get an offer i was eccentric then i aced the test and got an offer.

With all my offers into consideration besides Swansea i called each of them up asking if you required all my subjects and none of them did and Queen Mary was happy for me to keep the subjects they are asking for and drop the rest and baring in mind im making queen mary my firm i dropped Maths and ICT now after a week of doing 1 a-level and 2 BTECS i started to feel really board in school like i had no reason to actually go in because my computer science teacher is very bad at teaching so i taught my self all of AS and same with A2 pretty much but i felt my self struggling to get out of bed in the morning with the frame of mind like 'F*** school ill revise here' then spending the rest of the day slaying noobs on call of duty which quite clearly is not a productive use of my time.

With all of that being said and to make things clear the story leads up to right now as im typing this post and I need some advice on perhaps other people that have experienced similar attitudes towards school however still do have a strong ambition to reach success. anything would be helpful because im not sure how long it will be before all my revision and staying in front of my work wont matter anymore because of the amount of time im missing recently.
Winners are too busy to be sad,
too positive to be doubtful,
too optimistic to be fearful,
and too determined to be defeated.

Edit: I have read your whole post and hopefully things will get better for you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Application Sent to:
Queen Mary - Comp-Sci

Bangor - 260 ucas
Kings - rejected
Plymouth - 300 ucas
Queen Mary - Maths Test

With all my offers into consideration besides Swansea i called each of them up asking if you required all my subjects and none of them did and Queen Mary was happy for me to keep the subjects they are asking for and drop the rest and baring in mind im making queen mary my firm i dropped Maths and ICT now after a week of doing 1 a-level and 2 BTECS i started to feel really board in school like i had no reason to actually go in because my computer science teacher is very bad at teaching so i taught my self all of AS and same with A2 pretty much but i felt my self struggling to get out of bed in the morning with the frame of mind like 'F*** school ill revise here' then spending the rest of the day slaying noobs on call of duty which quite clearly is not a productive use of my time.

4 more months.

4 more months and then you're done.
Application Sent to:
Queen Mary - Comp-Sci

Bangor - 260 ucas
Kings - rejected
Plymouth - 300 ucas
Queen Mary - Maths Test

I was you last year. AS year (12) was an okay year for me. I worked hard, I did okay but I wanted better. I liked school.
I didn't know what I wanted to do anymore - I settled on a course that made sense with my A Levels and I picked out universities that I liked; but I didn't care anymore, not like I used to anyway. I became really ill and fell behind with work, but was so demoralised with the years progression I couldn't catch up and I didn't really want to. I stayed in bed, I slept my illness off and passed off any assignments or offers of help from teachers.
Come to results day and they were solid but not good enough for my university offers. I was crushed for a day.
Then it was the best thing that ever happened to me.

I had A Level grades and a gap year. I could do anything and choose anything.
I knew I wanted to go to university but had no idea what to study and how to relate it to a career.
I spent a while searching and thinking. I went full time at my job and earned some money.
I settled on a new course completely unrelated to my A Level subjects. I could have done this course without any retakes but it was November and working full time, with barely anything else to do and most of my friends at university - I was bored out of my mind. I missed school and learning new things.
So I applied for retakes. My grades were okay but I'd always wanted better and I had the time on my hands - I could also apply to better universities.
I gave myself time to relax and recover from education. I received all of my university offers despite typical A Levels.
It's now January and I have never loved studying more. I gave myself a break. I got better and I found a new course - one I was truly passionate about.
It's only two modules so the workload is manageable. I'm still earning money part-time with plans to go travelling for three weeks and a good social life.

I completely turned it around and all I needed was a break and I'm much better now too.

But, as long as you have picked a course that you are passionate about, you should try and make it work the first time. Gap years (unless monthly travels planned meticulously) can be very expensive and feel very long if you're not stimulating yourself enough.
Playing games and procrastinating might work for a few months but it doesn't work for a whole year.
My home studying reminds me that university is only going to be more work and more self-motivation than school was. For me, it's the perfect practice and keeps me challenged in what has luckily turned out to be a great year for me. Hopefully I'll come out the other end with better grades, good memories and going to university on a course I'll actually enjoy.

Changing your mind isn't impossible to deal with and may give you that motivation that you're looking for - gap years are a great way to reevaluate want you want and take a break from education. Deferred entry is also possible if you've picked the right course but aren't quite ready for university yet either.

I'm not saying that you should give up, hope for the best, that you'll get your grades and get in. That's what I did and it didn't go my way. While my year out has been a great experience for me, it wasn't easy to suddenly change the course of a year - reapplying to UCAS and retakes doesn't get rosier either! I will always wish I'd got myself into gear, chosen the right course and worked harder in the first place - but it is possible to dust yourself off if it doesn't work out the first time round.

Start by just doing 20 minutes a day after school. Then take the rest of the evening off. Week after that increase it to 40 and turn off your phone. Just 40 minutes of pure work. Build yourself up gradually. It might help.
If you really want to go to uni and do this course then you'll find the motivation to do so.
You haven't got much longer left ( a good and bad thing) and you can achieve it if you put your mind to it.

Sorry for how absurdly long this is - I really didn't plan it.
Hope this helps.
Reply 4
Original post by fionaapaterson
I was you last year. AS year (12) was an okay year for me. I worked hard, I did okay but I wanted better. I liked school.
I didn't know what I wanted to do anymore - I settled on a course that made sense with my A Levels and I picked out universities that I liked; but I didn't care anymore, not like I used to anyway. I became really ill and fell behind with work, but was so demoralised with the years progression I couldn't catch up and I didn't really want to. I stayed in bed, I slept my illness off and passed off any assignments or offers of help from teachers.
Come to results day and they were solid but not good enough for my university offers. I was crushed for a day.
Then it was the best thing that ever happened to me.

I had A Level grades and a gap year. I could do anything and choose anything.
I knew I wanted to go to university but had no idea what to study and how to relate it to a career.
I spent a while searching and thinking. I went full time at my job and earned some money.
I settled on a new course completely unrelated to my A Level subjects. I could have done this course without any retakes but it was November and working full time, with barely anything else to do and most of my friends at university - I was bored out of my mind. I missed school and learning new things.
So I applied for retakes. My grades were okay but I'd always wanted better and I had the time on my hands - I could also apply to better universities.
I gave myself time to relax and recover from education. I received all of my university offers despite typical A Levels.
It's now January and I have never loved studying more. I gave myself a break. I got better and I found a new course - one I was truly passionate about.
It's only two modules so the workload is manageable. I'm still earning money part-time with plans to go travelling for three weeks and a good social life.

I completely turned it around and all I needed was a break and I'm much better now too.

But, as long as you have picked a course that you are passionate about, you should try and make it work the first time. Gap years (unless monthly travels planned meticulously) can be very expensive and feel very long if you're not stimulating yourself enough.
Playing games and procrastinating might work for a few months but it doesn't work for a whole year.
My home studying reminds me that university is only going to be more work and more self-motivation than school was. For me, it's the perfect practice and keeps me challenged in what has luckily turned out to be a great year for me. Hopefully I'll come out the other end with better grades, good memories and going to university on a course I'll actually enjoy.

Changing your mind isn't impossible to deal with and may give you that motivation that you're looking for - gap years are a great way to reevaluate want you want and take a break from education. Deferred entry is also possible if you've picked the right course but aren't quite ready for university yet either.

I'm not saying that you should give up, hope for the best, that you'll get your grades and get in. That's what I did and it didn't go my way. While my year out has been a great experience for me, it wasn't easy to suddenly change the course of a year - reapplying to UCAS and retakes doesn't get rosier either! I will always wish I'd got myself into gear, chosen the right course and worked harder in the first place - but it is possible to dust yourself off if it doesn't work out the first time round.

Start by just doing 20 minutes a day after school. Then take the rest of the evening off. Week after that increase it to 40 and turn off your phone. Just 40 minutes of pure work. Build yourself up gradually. It might help.
If you really want to go to uni and do this course then you'll find the motivation to do so.
You haven't got much longer left ( a good and bad thing) and you can achieve it if you put your mind to it.

Sorry for how absurdly long this is - I really didn't plan it.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for sharing that story it was really helpful however the only thing that differs from you to me at the time of your 13 was I have an absolute certainty of my course selection ive wanted to do it since I knew what a computer was and its just im sick of this repetitive lifestyle learning the same **** from the same people over and over again with the same peers and same location i think im just getting sick of how repetitive my life style has become and thats why im so motivated to get to university literally never been so excited in my life but on a side note quickly i was revising so much towards the beginning of the year doing really well in all 5 of my subjects and then i dropped two and i became demotivated and for some reason i cant get it through my head that i done it so i could get into my first choice that accepted me im not sure how to proceed im not sure if im ever going to come out of this frame of mind it feels life more and more everyday im sitting behind my desk playing xbox to forget about the real stresses in my life.
Reply 5
Original post by Guills on wheels
4 more months.

4 more months and then you're done.

i know but it feels so LONG!! aha
Reply 6
I get what you mean!! It's year 13 I should be enthusiastic and pushing all my effort because I know this is the most important part and each year I've been preparing myself for now. And quite honest, I try to work but I'm just not into it. Worst this is that I'm applying for neuroscience and so far the universities I'm applying to are asking for AAA-BBB. I'm trying to find motivation, but it's getting hard, and I've starting slipping up in tests (last week I got a C for maths B for physics and C for chemistry). Now I'm not trying to be ungrateful, but I need wayyy higher grades.. Why don't I care enough? And sometimes I feel that maybe I need to cut out my social life and make work all that I do. But then I just get depressed.
If you're planning to succeed, you're already one step closer to achieving success.

Firstly, remind yourself that the intense amount of revision that you're about to do for the next 3/4 months is only temporary, so it won't last forever, even though it will be pain. But trust me, it will all be worth it at the end.

Why don't you make it a priority to do at least 3 hours of revision a day? And then, at the end of the 3 hour session you can treat yourself to play COD?

Keep everything balanced. Make sure you eat right, get enough sleep, and revise haaaaard. Remember, getting into uni won't be cheap. The journey will be difficult at times but you gotta battle against it and just keep reminding yourself about happy you will actually be on results day because you tried your best, no matter what the results will be (although, trying your best usually makes you achieve what you want unless you're completely illiterate lol).

Anyways, start revision NOW. Please. I started yesterday because I felt exactly the same as you until I had my own reality check. I'm completely motivated now too. Get yourself motivated; start afresh tomorrow!

Good luck.
Reply 8
Thanks a lot about that message hey! Just made me realise, how happy I would be on results day! That gives me something to look forward to and I guess I will get to relax during the summer because I know how hard I've been working. I just need to slowly build my self esteem, I think the biggest challenge is believing that 1) I could do this and 2) that I deserve it as well. But good luck to you!! This will all pay off in a few months 😁
I was just wondering if anyone could help me with a dilemma regarding retakes. Last year in film studies I was 8 marks from gaining an A grade, and preferably I need an A this year in Film Studies.

Last year in psychology I landed on a comfortable C. On results day I preferably need AAC (equiv to my offer of ABB) I gather it would be wise to retake last year's film exam to claw back the 8 marks, but should I retake psychology from last year to try and gain a B?

Considering I just got my mock back from this year's topics and I got a C, psychology is always a struggle for me. I don't know whether to really push myself and risk failing or only take one extra exam and ensure I'm okay on those topics. I don't want to regret not pushing myself, but I'm not sure I could manage it all :frown: what do I do 😞

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest