The Student Room Group

Options: Medicine or Languages

Poll

What career?

"If you're interested in it and are good at it, why not go for it? You are capable." -Too many relatives, teachers, and friends

Before, I was set on pursuing medicine as a career, tailoring what I did (experience-wise) to prepare myself. The introduction to languages and literature broadened my thoughts and changed my mind. And now, I am confused between the two.

The main questions: redundancy of language given technological advancements in online translators, job prospects, subject variety and competition (ie. do I stand out with only 4 languages when others have more?)
It's not about what subjects I enjoy and am good at, because I enjoy and have the aptitude for both of them. Also, I have a greater chance in getting into Oxbridge with languages (if that helps).

Some options I'm thinking are are: French, Italian, Eng Lit; Chem, Bio, Maths.

I'm the type of person that really likes a broad, specific understanding of subjects (if that makes sense).

Although it's my decision, but given my confused state now, I'd rather someone 'make' it for me. I don't want any more people telling me that I should 'do what I'm passionate about' because I'm starting to find it a bit stupid - that is not the way society or life works.

Any thoughts?
Original post by acven
"If you're interested in it and are good at it, why not go for it? You are capable." -Too many relatives, teachers, and friends

Before, I was set on pursuing medicine as a career, tailoring what I did (experience-wise) to prepare myself. The introduction to languages and literature broadened my thoughts and changed my mind. And now, I am confused between the two.

The main questions: redundancy of language given technological advancements in online translators, job prospects, subject variety and competition (ie. do I stand out with only 4 languages when others have more?)
It's not about what subjects I enjoy and am good at, because I enjoy and have the aptitude for both of them. Also, I have a greater chance in getting into Oxbridge with languages (if that helps).

Some options I'm thinking are are: French, Italian, Eng Lit; Chem, Bio, Maths.

I'm the type of person that really likes a broad, specific understanding of subjects (if that makes sense).

Although it's my decision, but given my confused state now, I'd rather someone 'make' it for me. I don't want any more people telling me that I should 'do what I'm passionate about' because I'm starting to find it a bit stupid - that is not the way society or life works.

Any thoughts?

Are you interested in career prospects?
or do you value learning more?

For the former,I suggest you to go for Medicine,as it's more stable career than being in the languages.
For the latter,I think you should consider taking both,since you enjoy both.
Even if it takes up a longer time,you will still be satisfied because if you enjoy both,then you wouldn't mind studying these 2 degrees back-to-back or together at once
Reply 2
Since you have to do work experience anyway to get into medicine, I suggest doing some before you make your decision if possible; you'll get a gauge of how much you can see yourself doing it in the future.

I remember being stuck early on between medicine and languages too, but I decided to continue with languages as a hobby (nonetheless I continued with Spanish up until A2 alongside my three science-based subjects so maybe something to consider? though I wouldn't recommend 4 A2s in hindsight...)

Just be really sure that if you do medicine, you're really into it. Because it's a lot of work to get into uni for it in the first place, and it only gets harder I assume! good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest