The Student Room Group
Original post by Rugar Rell
I don't reconsider tbh.. don't see them out doing Apple and it won't be long before Android makes an OS. Microsoft should walk away now from the phone industry. I've had a Windows phone and it's terrible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? Why? I was considering maybe getting a Nokia Windows phone.
Reply 2
Original post by IWantToBeThere
Really? Why? I was considering maybe getting a Nokia Windows phone.

Please do not get it, save yourself money. Just take a look in the Windows app store simple apps like viber and kik don't work nothing but people complaining.. Go on YouTube and look up some unbiased comparison reviews. I've gone back to Android in under a month. Never again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You just posted this to slag off the windows phone...
I don't recon tbh.. don't see them out doing Apple and it won't be long before Android makes an OS. Microsoft should walk away now from the phone industry. I've had a Windows phone and it's terrible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

"It wont be long before android make an OS" ....erm you do know android is the OS which many manufacturers such as samsung, song and lg use and then differentiate slightly by using their own custom UI. Also in defence of windows phone, i do think it will take off maybe sometime soon as the new windows 10 OS is coming to the phones this year I think. I know a few people who have got a windows phone and they really like them. Yes nokia wasnt very reliable a few years ago there were issues with freezing etc but seems now that microsoft have acquired them that they have sorted those issues out. The windows OS looks better than android as well in my opinion. I have had iPhone running ios and android devices and a windows phone and tbh the windows app store doesnt have as much apps as the others however after the first few apps i didnt really find myself looking for more apps on regular ocassions, in other words i think the store has pretty much most apps that you would need. (Even some apps are on windows that aren'ton ios...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Waz96
"It wont be long before android make an OS" ....erm you do know android is the OS which many manufacturers such as samsung, song and lg use and then differentiate slightly by using their own custom UI. Also in defence of windows phone, i do think it will take off maybe sometime soon as the new windows 10 OS is coming to the phones this year I think. I know a few people who have got a windows phone and they really like them. Yes nokia wasnt very reliable a few years ago there were issues with freezing etc but seems now that microsoft have acquired them that they have sorted those issues out. The windows OS looks better than android as well in my opinion. I have had iPhone running ios and android devices and a windows phone and tbh the windows app store doesnt have as much apps as the others however after the first few apps i didnt really find myself looking for more apps on regular ocassions, in other words i think the store has pretty much most apps that you would need. (Even some apps are on windows that aren'ton ios...)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You know what I mean OS for PCs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh ok my bad, however i have seen android OS being used on some netbookd etc. I think they were Chinese ones on amazon/ebay and tbh it didnt look very nice. If google do a official android OS then that may be another story. Also recently I saw that android is being used for some games consoles, these consoles are small and allow you to connect to play store so you can play those games on the tv with a real controller. Think thats pretty good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Waz96
Oh ok my bad, however i have seen android OS being used on some netbookd etc. I think they were Chinese ones on amazon/ebay and tbh it didnt look very nice. If google do a official android OS then that may be another story. Also recently I saw that android is being used for some games consoles, these consoles are small and allow you to connect to play store so you can play those games on the tv with a real controller. Think thats pretty good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True but give it a few years

Posted from TSR Mobile
You know what I mean OS for PCs

Posted from TSR Mobile

They've already done that too, it's called Chrome OS. They put Android on some crappy laptops too btw.

But yeah, Windows Phone will most likely never leave the niche third place spot. They're still playing catchup with iOS and Android for functionality, have virtually zero interest from third party manufacturers, and developer support which drives their app ecosystem won't grow while their userbase is so negligible.

It could be worse though, at least they're not Blackberry.
(edited 9 years ago)
I had a Windows phone and I loved it, but unfortunately they are very limited on their apps so I went back to Android.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't recon tbh.. don't see them out doing Apple and it won't be long before Android makes an OS. Microsoft should walk away now from the phone industry. I've had a Windows phone and it's terrible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, it will. Especially among business users; the prospect of having native compatibility between your workstation and your phone will make it very attractive.

Also the gaming features and the software compatibility will make it attractive to end-users.

Also Android is an OS.

Apple don't have that on their side. Their phones and tablets, by virtue of the differences in hardware and OS architectures makes cross-compatibility impossible, or at least severely impractical, and what people now want is the ability to do their computery stuff while away from the computer.
I'll be getting a Windows Phone next I think. Really, I want a new generation of phone to be released before I upgrade. :yep:

I think Windows 10 for Phones could well be the turning point for Windows Phones. It's integration with Windows 10 (on PCs) looks exciting and could rival or surpass Apple with their integration of iOS and OSX. Mobile versions of Office included with devices is massive too.

Yeah, on the app front there is a lack of development, but for me, that's not an issue. I only really use Tapatalk, Whatsapp and Facebook anyway.
I reckon that Cortana on windows phone is way better than s voice or siri, ive tried all three and Cortana has the most realistic voice and isnt sounding too robotic. Also its much more helpful.
Windows 10 integration with PC's like the previous person said could be the thing that finally puts windows phones ahead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tootles
Yes, it will. Especially among business users; the prospect of having native compatibility between your workstation and your phone will make it very attractive.

Also the gaming features and the software compatibility will make it attractive to end-users.

Also Android is an OS.

Apple don't have that on their side. Their phones and tablets, by virtue of the differences in hardware and OS architectures makes cross-compatibility impossible, or at least severely impractical, and what people now want is the ability to do their computery stuff while away from the computer.

Microsoft are going to have to make massive step up to win over iPhone and Android users. At the moment there aren't many advantages to having a Windows Phone just because you have a Windows PC, especially for productivity as it hardly has any apps compared to its rivals. Similarly for gaming, while Windows is dominant for computer gaming that's not at all true for mobile.

Until they do something big, I don't see them breaking out of the cycle of no interest so no support by developers, so no interest etc.