The Student Room Group

Stopping Smoking and staying Smoke Free

Hey everyone,

This is going to sound ridiculous to some people, but I am finding it extremely difficult to stop smoking. I have tried multiple times within the past 12 months and every time i fail. I really dont want to use any nicotine replacement products because why replace one nicotine intake for another it just isnt logical.

I just ned to get my head in the right frame of mind, but its more difficult than what i first thought, so i was just wondering... has anyone else stopped cold turkey and how do you / did you get yourself into the right frame of mind and think "Right, this is my last one."

Any advice greatly appreciated.
I think with any addiction, you have to wholeheartedly want to stop, choose to stop and take responsibility for that choice. You ultimately have control over your actions and the addiction doesn't have control over you.

Might help not to think "right this is my last one" but to think "I'm not going to have any more as of now...

Nicotine replacement does make sense, because its the nicotine that you're addicted to, but it isn't really harmful in itself, so it makes perfect sense to take away the harmful part of the addiction, and to wean yourself off the addiction to the non harmful element to make it easier for your body and mind to cope with.
Yeah, i hear what you're saying. It's just getting to the point where every cig i have i just notice how ****ing awful it is. i dont enjoy anything about it but yet i keep going through the same ritual of going out into the rain sparking up and i dont even know why.

Complicated.

Quick Reply

Latest