The Student Room Group

Teeth- Retainer isn't working anymore

:frown:
Reply 1
SORRY I accidently pressed enter without writing my post.

I had braces until I was 16, and was given a retainer. I am 23 now.

I wore this every night for 3 years, then once a week, then once a monthish.

Two years ago I got a slight crack in the bottom retainer but the top is intact.

I have noticed that they don't work anymore! I mean they fit in my mouth, but they aren't stopping my teeth from moving :frown: Even the top one, it fits on but doesn't fit all the teeth correctly, and it doesn't even TRY to.

I am so upset, as my crocked teeth gave me a lot of self esteem issues and getting braces changed my life. But now, I am scared I will need to get them again- and pay about £5000+ :frown:

I don't know what to do, the Orthodontist is so unhelpful- they said they could make me another mould from my teeth, but it would keep them how they are NOW. I want them how they were before :frown:

Does anyone have any advice?
Reply 2
Remember, not all orthodontists are well trained and experienced. Better try to fix an appointment with any other orthodontist who is specialized in cosmetic dentistry. They will definitely guide you in the right way.

Note: If you're around Dublin area, you may visit - http://www.clearbracesdublin.com
Original post by Anonymous
SORRY I accidently pressed enter without writing my post.

I had braces until I was 16, and was given a retainer. I am 23 now.

I wore this every night for 3 years, then once a week, then once a monthish.

Two years ago I got a slight crack in the bottom retainer but the top is intact.

I have noticed that they don't work anymore! I mean they fit in my mouth, but they aren't stopping my teeth from moving :frown: Even the top one, it fits on but doesn't fit all the teeth correctly, and it doesn't even TRY to.

I am so upset, as my crocked teeth gave me a lot of self esteem issues and getting braces changed my life. But now, I am scared I will need to get them again- and pay about £5000+ :frown:

I don't know what to do, the Orthodontist is so unhelpful- they said they could make me another mould from my teeth, but it would keep them how they are NOW. I want them how they were before :frown:

Does anyone have any advice?
Hey maybe your retainers are feeling tight as your teeth are trying to move. This is how I feel when I put my retainers on. As long as they fit onto your teeth that is what matters so that your teeth don't move. Since you feel that your teeth may have moved try to put on your retainers. You may feel that they might juts fit and they may seem really tight and painful. And if they do fit try to wear them daily and then every 2 day and then so on.....:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest