The Student Room Group

Research on music and emotion

Hey, I'm a music production student and I'm writing my dissertation on the ways in which sound and music affects our emotional states.

I thought I'd quickly check on here if any psychology students could point me to a book(s) that give a quote or definition on what emotion is. From a psychological perspective I guess?
I don't know if this helps at all, but some psychologists believe that out emotional attributes are evolutionary. For example, women are more empathetic as long ago we would stay in our cave (or wherever we lived!) to care and nurture the children. Men are more aggressive and possessive as their responsibility would be to hunt and gather. Of course this is very generalised, not all men are hyper aggressive and not all women want to spend their day looking after a baby! But it is one theory as to the different emotional responses from men and women. I don't have any sources I'm afraid but I am sure you could look it up :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Elliebeanie
I don't know if this helps at all, but some psychologists believe that out emotional attributes are evolutionary. For example, women are more empathetic as long ago we would stay in our cave (or wherever we lived!) to care and nurture the children. Men are more aggressive and possessive as their responsibility would be to hunt and gather. Of course this is very generalised, not all men are hyper aggressive and not all women want to spend their day looking after a baby! But it is one theory as to the different emotional responses from men and women. I don't have any sources I'm afraid but I am sure you could look it up :smile:

Hmm I could see about fitting it in somewhere, thanks! Anything around emotion to sort of back up what I'm talking about is good

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending