The Student Room Group

We don't want a coalition with the SNP

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/11379600/English-voters-believe-Labour-SNP-coalition-will-destabilise-Britain.html

~two thirds of English voters think negatively of a Labour coalition with the SNP once "don't know"s have been excluded; 64pc think it will make Britain less stable, and 69% disapprove outright of the potential arrangement.

Despite this, I somehow doubt that Labour will rule out making such an agreement since it might be the only way for them to get into power, some suggest that they could lose up to 37 of their 41 seats. (okay, I really hate that wording because I can say they might lose up to all of them and still be correct, but whatever).

Some Scottish Labour MPs are lobbying for Miliband to rule out a coalition for fear of losing further votes to the SNP due to the lack of clarity. Meanwhile, Sturgeon is indicating that her party's price would be the scrapping of Trident (and I assume the replacement), curbing austerity and a swathe of new powers, the first of which is widely unpopular south of the border.

Scroll to see replies

I don't think it would happen. It would be suicidal for both parties. The SNP may be able to do it and come out looking ok, but only if they got all their promises pushed through. Since that includes scrapping Trident which is never going to happen then I doubt it would work out.

In Scotland a Labour-SNP coalition is like Labour-Tory Coalition.
Never underestimate how much labour will screw over its voters for short term gain.
Reply 3
Original post by MatureStudent36
Never underestimate how much labour will screw over its voters for short term gain.

The snp seem to be ambivalent towards a coalition. So what we might see is then offering confidence and votes rather than a formal coalition. Recipe for disaster really

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aj12
The snp seem to be ambivalent towards a coalition. So what we might see is then offering confidence and votes rather than a formal coalition. Recipe for disaster really

Posted from TSR Mobile

The snp will do whatever it feels will annoy english voters in order to get a rise from them tom perpetuate the myth of victim that they've cultivated.
SNP/labour deal is probably the best realistic outcome of the election. Wouldn't be opposed to a deal with the Lib Dems providing someone like Farron or Cable is in charge.
Reply 6
Original post by DaveSmith99
SNP/labour deal is probably the best realistic outcome of the election. Wouldn't be opposed to a deal with the Lib Dems providing someone like Farron or Cable is in charge.

By any chance do you want an end to the union?
Original post by Jammy Duel
By any chance do you want an end to the union?

Well I believe in Irish reunification if that counts. I'm not too about Scotland, if they decide they want to go then that's fine. Another tory government will only increase the chances of Scotland leaving by the way.
Reply 8
Well I believe in Irish reunification if that counts. I'm not too about Scotland, if they decide they want to go then that's fine. Another tory government will only increase the chances of Scotland leaving by the way.

Except what the SNP wants is either independence or paid independence in all but name (as in given everything they want and then some cash from England) which is what SNP - Labour world give

Posted from TSR Mobile
Except what the SNP wants is either independence or paid independence in all but name (as in given everything they want and then some cash from England) which is what SNP - Labour world give

Posted from TSR Mobile

They will not get independence without a successful yes vote in a referendum so I don't see the problem.
I only wish that all of the people had been given a vote on Scottish independence. I would have voted for independence for Scotland myself.

To the original question, I can see the possibility of a minority Labour government with the SNP supporting individual measures, but not a formal coalition.
Yup, a Lab-SNP-Plaid-Sinn Fein coalition would see the union suffer immeasurable damage.
Reply 12
It is very hypocritical of the SNP to say they will vote on English only laws, NHS/education etc has been devolved so Scottish MP's should have absolutely no say on English laws on those topics as we have no say on Scotlands. If the SNP want to have a say on English laws scrap devolution & vote UK wide like we used to
Original post by Ace123
It is very hypocritical of the SNP to say they will vote on English only laws, NHS/education etc has been devolved so Scottish MP's should have absolutely no say on English laws on those topics as we have no say on Scotlands. If the SNP want to have a say on English laws scrap devolution & vote UK wide like we used to

Does the single tory MP in Scotland abstain on English issues? Do any of the lib dems? Do either the tories or the lib dems in Wales abstain? The answer to all of these questions is no.
They will not get independence without a successful yes vote in a referendum so I don't see the problem.

As I said, what they end up with is better than independence since they also get funneled a load of cash from England and Wales and have our Army protect them, you know, like things are now, except with even more power devolved to them and no cut in funding.

Original post by Rakas21
Yup, a Lab-SNP-Plaid-Sinn Fein coalition would see the union suffer immeasurable damage.

tbh, it would be surprising if they actually did form a coalition with Sinn Fein, not least since they don't recognise Westminster. Then of course it's pointless since Sinn Fein will never actually do anything. Of course the irony of it all is that Labour are too reliant on Scotland and Wales to afford to lose them, but are willing to get one step closer to losing them.
As someone who despises Labour, I would rather vote for them to give them an absolute majority than for them to form a coalition with the SNP.

I doubt Blair would have done it anyway, but Miliband probably will.

Their current proposal is to abolish the nuclear deterrent, a disastrous decision with world-historical consequences, basically just as part of a culture war with England. I actually would *prefer* that they left at that point, provided we kept the base until the submarines could be moved.
As I said, what they end up with is better than independence since they also get funneled a load of cash from England and Wales and have our Army protect them, you know, like things are now, except with even more power devolved to them and no cut in funding.

tbh, it would be surprising if they actually did form a coalition with Sinn Fein, not least since they don't recognise Westminster. Then of course it's pointless since Sinn Fein will never actually do anything. Of course the irony of it all is that Labour are too reliant on Scotland and Wales to afford to lose them, but are willing to get one step closer to losing them.

I'd normally agree but Westminster is as weak as it ever will be in all likelihood. If Labour will deal with the SNP less than a year after a referendum then they have no qualms about dealing with terrorists.
Original post by Rakas21
I'd normally agree but Westminster is as weak as it ever will be in all likelihood. If Labour will deal with the SNP less than a year after a referendum then they have no qualms about dealing with terrorists.

Well, it's not so much the dealing with terrorists, it's more the it's a pointless exercise unless they want to just be able to say they have an absolute majority. After all, given they abstentionists, all you really need for the majority is 323; 323 without Sinn Fein and 328 with render exactly the same result: 323 seats.
Original post by Observatory
Their current proposal is to abolish the nuclear deterrent, a disastrous decision with world-historical consequences, basically just as part of a culture war with England. I actually would *prefer* that they left at that point, provided we kept the base until the submarines could be moved.

This isn't really relevant, but this is a policy that has a large amount of support both inside and outside of Scotland.

Less than ideal I agree, but still preferable to the alternatives.

Quick Reply

Latest