The Student Room Group

We don't want a coalition with the SNP

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DaveSmith99
This isn't really relevant, but this is a policy that has a large amount of support both inside and outside of Scotland.

The large support for getting rid of Trident (and/or replacement) may have some traction, but it's hardly Earth shattering, if it were to go to referendum we would be keeping it

Less than ideal I agree, but still preferable to the alternatives.
Which alternatives?
Original post by Rakas21
I'd normally agree but Westminster is as weak as it ever will be in all likelihood. If Labour will deal with the SNP less than a year after a referendum then they have no qualms about dealing with terrorists.

Do you think the tories would have any quarms about doing deals with terrorists like Peter Robinson in NI?
Original post by Jammy Duel
The large support for getting rid of Trident (and/or replacement) may have some traction, but it's hardly Earth shattering, if it were to go to referendum we would be keeping it

Less than ideal I agree, but still preferable to the alternatives.

Which alternatives?

The alternative outcomes of the election, so the tories and the lib dems and possibly the DUP or labour and the lib dems.
This isn't really relevant, but this is a policy that has a large amount of support both inside and outside of Scotland.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/07/15/trident-keep-scrap-or-downgrade/

Suggests a solid majority in favour of renewing it.
The alternative outcomes of the election, so the tories and the lib dems and possibly the DUP or labour and the lib dems.

This is where I think we should agree to disagree, because otherwise it will start going down a line that is barely relevant to the thread
Original post by Observatory
https://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/07/15/trident-keep-scrap-or-downgrade/

Suggests a solid majority in favour of renewing it.

Other polls show different results, but I'm still not following why this is relevant.
Do you think the tories would have any quarms about doing deals with terrorists like Peter Robinson in NI?

Can you link him to terrorist actions?
Original post by Rakas21
Can you link him to terrorist actions?

Well he was one of the founders of the Ulster Resistance.......
Other polls show different results,

There's a list on for instance the CND's website. But this is the first one I saw from an actual polling company, rather than an interested party.

but I'm still not following why this is relevant.

A small minority party would be dictating the government's actions with respect to an important policy question against the wishes of the population for reasons that are in my view poorly justified.
Original post by Observatory
There's a list on for instance the CND's website. But this is the first one I saw from an actual polling company, rather than an interested party.

A small minority party would be dictating the government's actions with respect to an important policy question against the wishes of the population for reasons that are in my view poorly justified.

Welcome to coalition government.
Welcome to coalition government.

Well, yes, hence I said I would rather give Labour (a party I do not like or support) a majority of its own than have them coalesce with these clowns.
Well he was one of the founders of the Ulster Resistance.......

But no evidence linking them to any actual terrorist attacks and claims that the DUP was only associated for 2 years. Granted i'd arrest him today for joining it but since he never committed violence against the state i don't view him as a terrorist.
Reply 32
I don't want the Anti-English party anywhere near government. If Labour do a deal with them I would suspect their popularity across the country will be diminished across England/Wales as no doubt they'll give a lot of concessions to the SNP. I'd much prefer a Lab majority or a Lab/Lib Dem coalition. Or a Tory majority or Tory/Lib Dem/DUP/UKIP coalition. Anything is better than having the SNP in government.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does it?

CND polls say yes, non CND polls says no.

The nuclear detteremt issue doesn't register on most people's radar.
I think Labour, if they get their act together, will probably have a slim majority at the next general election in any case. It is a bit too early to speculate on coalitions in my opinion. I think Ed Miliband would be more willing to do a deal with the Lib Dems. The SNP would ask for too much in return for a coalition and would probably spit their dummy out half way through if Labour start clawing their way back in Scotland, which would lead to either a disastrous Labour minority government or an early election.
Labour will do what Labour need to do to get into Number 10. Most of those staunchly opposed to a Labour-SNP coalition are unlikely to be Labour voters, hence Labour won't win much extra potential votes from ruling out such a coalition. However, given that they're likely to lose an awful lot of seats in Scotland to the SNP, they might need a coalition to get into power, so hence are not going to rule it out.
Original post by Smack
Labour will do what Labour need to do to get into Number 10. Most of those staunchly opposed to a Labour-SNP coalition are unlikely to be Labour voters, hence Labour won't win much extra potential votes from ruling out such a coalition. However, given that they're likely to lose an awful lot of seats in Scotland to the SNP, they might need a coalition to get into power, so hence are not going to rule it out.

Now this is why it would be nice is papers referenced, because if it was say, yougov who ran the poll then we would be able to get a breakdown of opinion based on voting intentions, and I doubt that almost everybody who is against it is a non-Labour voter, I would expect that it's going to be fairly even across all parties actually, albeit with some offering more support than others. For there to be very few in Labour not liking it would require 100% against everywhere else.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Now this is why it would be nice is papers referenced, because if it was say, yougov who ran the poll then we would be able to get a breakdown of opinion based on voting intentions, and I doubt that almost everybody who is against it is a non-Labour voter, I would expect that it's going to be fairly even across all parties actually, albeit with some offering more support than others. For there to be very few in Labour not liking it would require 100% against everywhere else.

One would suspect that few Labour supporters would be against the party forming a government with another party, especially one that shares much of their ideals. The reality is that Labour are getting outflanked on the left by the SNP, and Labour voters in Scotland are leaving in droves to vote for them because they perceive them to better support the values they are voting for, that Labour no longer do.

If Labour thought they were angering their core support in England, Wales and NI then they'd likely have already guillotined the idea of such a coalition; but they haven't.
Reply 38
One can only hope if a Labour/SNP coalition did occur support for Labour in particular but also the SNP would be destroyed... (based on the concessions Labour would have to give to Scotland).
And a Tory revolt occurs throughout the UK in 2020.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Smack
If Labour thought they were angering their core support in England, Wales and NI then they'd likely have already guillotined the idea of such a coalition; but they haven't.

That requires them to actually think though...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending