The Student Room Group

How Do I Pull This Off? Uni Offers and References

Here's my situation.

I went to uni to study physics 2013-14 at Surrey. I dropped out and am now applying for psychology at 5 unis, Surrey being one of my choices and also my favourite choice.

I've also applied for King's and they've started messaging me about my background. I gave the admissions tutor everything he needed but he's now asked for a reference from Surrey about my academic performance whilst I was there.

I'm not concerned about my academic performance, but I'm concerned that by contacting Surrey for a reference for another university (King's), they will then know I'm interested in going to King's, meaning they perhaps won't take my interest in studying at Surrey (which I most want to do) as seriously.

But it's not like I can ignore the King's admissions tutor's request, because there's a chance I won't get back into Surrey anyway because of my grades, and having been rejected from Southampton, my options are dwindling, so it's not like I can just ignore King's which would still be a great place to study. But then by contacting Surrey, I may decrease my chance of being accepted at Surrey.

So... assuming you followed that, thoughts?
Original post by hektik
Here's my situation.

I went to uni to study physics 2013-14 at Surrey. I dropped out and am now applying for psychology at 5 unis, Surrey being one of my choices and also my favourite choice.

I've also applied for King's and they've started messaging me about my background. I gave the admissions tutor everything he needed but he's now asked for a reference from Surrey about my academic performance whilst I was there.

I'm not concerned about my academic performance, but I'm concerned that by contacting Surrey for a reference for another university (King's), they will then know I'm interested in going to King's, meaning they perhaps won't take my interest in studying at Surrey (which I most want to do) as seriously.

But it's not like I can ignore the King's admissions tutor's request, because there's a chance I won't get back into Surrey anyway because of my grades, and having been rejected from Southampton, my options are dwindling, so it's not like I can just ignore King's which would still be a great place to study. But then by contacting Surrey, I may decrease my chance of being accepted at Surrey.

So... assuming you followed that, thoughts?

They know every Ucas form has 5 slots on it and will assume that you are not expecting everything to go perfectly on every application and are therefore spreading your bets, like anyone else. Admissions tutors are not conspiracy theorists and don't go off in a huff at the thought that you have applied elsewhere. They know you will have. Just give them what they ask for.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
They know every Ucas form has 5 slots on it and will assume that you are not expecting everything to go perfectly on every application and are therefore spreading your bets, like anyone else. Admissions tutors are not conspiracy theorists and don't go off in a huff at the thought that you have applied elsewhere. They know you will have. Just give them what they ask for.

You're right. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending