The Student Room Group

Big 4 Offer, No Salary?

So I've been offered a position at Big 4 Consulting, and as its a fantastic job and I was dead-lined, I accepted. But there's a catch, the offer does not contain a salary. It simply says that the salary will be confirmed at a later date. Apart from that standard normal offer like everyone else I can see. I've never heard of anything like this happening before.

Is this normal, should I pressure the firm to give me an estimate, keep interviewing?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by herbdebub
So I've been offered a position at Big 4 Consulting, and as its a fantastic job and I was dead-lined, I accepted. But there's a catch, the offer does not contain a salary, it simply says, salary will be confirmed at a later date. Apart from that standard normal offer. I've never heard of anything like this happening before.

Is this normal, should I pressure the firm to give me an estimate, keep interviewing?

What's to stop you from continuing to interview and then pick the best option when the overall package values get declared to you?
Reply 2
Original post by Mad Vlad
What's to stop you from continuing to interview and then pick the best option when the overall package values get declared to you?

Nothing, its just a little weird that the role has no salary information. Is there a risk of loosing the offer if i continue with my other apps?

The role is great and I wouldn't want to jeopardize it by them somehow finding out, at the same time accepting a role with no salary definition seems extremely strange.
Original post by herbdebub
Nothing, its just a little weird that the role has no salary information. Is there a risk of loosing the offer if i continue with my other apps?

The role is great and I wouldn't want to jeopardize it by them somehow finding out, at the same time accepting a role with no salary definition seems extremely strange.

Unless you sign something that prevents you from exploring other offers once you accept, crack on and just keep your head down. They don't tell you salary to basically tie you in with them as there will be companies that will offer more - they're pulling you in with their Big 4 credentials, not because they offer the most money.
Reply 4
Original post by Mad Vlad
Unless you sign something that prevents you from exploring other offers once you accept, crack on and just keep your head down. They don't tell you salary to basically tie you in with them as there will be companies that will offer more - they're pulling you in with their Big 4 credentials, not because they offer the most money.

That's clearly not true... the majority of the time a big 4 offer does come with a salary, and to suggest they're withholding the salary to hoodwink him in to not going elsewhere is frankly ridiculous. Evidently that regional intakes exact salary hasn't been decided on yet, so they've left it open.

OP - look for the prior year salary for that role (in the same region). It may change a bit, but likely not more than £2k max. Also more likely to have gone up than down. As for your other applications, if you prefer the role/company continue with them, if you don't then I wouldn't bother. To pick a graduate scheme based on a couple of thousand either way on a starting salary doesn't make much sense.
This might be a great opportunity to start negotiating on your salary, something big 4 firms almost never do.
Reply 6
M1011 is correct. The lack of a salary figure isn't because they're trying to screw you over - they just won't have finalized their figures yet. I know that at least 1 big 4 firm has raised graduate salaries this year, so I'd take it as a good sign.
Reply 7
Original post by Classical Liberal
This might be a great opportunity to start negotiating on your salary, something big 4 firms almost never do.

No chance on a graduate role. Every single person in that intake for that area will earn the same, guaranteed.
Reply 8
Can easily research the standard big 4 salaries at this level for a benchmark. Like others have said, it certainly won't have gone *down*, and they may be reviewing it to make it higher.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending