The Student Room Group

Modern languages degree: worth it?

Basically I have all my offers and now have to decide between french and Spanish, French and politics and french and international studies.

I like all three, but people keep telling me different things in terms of which one is most useful in terms of career opportunities.

is international studies similar to international relations? Is two languages a good idea?
I'd go with French and Spanish. Language skills are very useful and the opportunities for afterwards are limitless.

Intl. studies / intl. relations are ib my mind not as useful or important.
Languages.... so worth it. My cousin graduated from Edinburgh studying german and arabic. He was also worried that edinburgh was not as prestigious enough as UCL, LSE, OXbridge, etc but still managed to get an investment banking internship with J.P Morgan because they love love love languages.
In my country people who go for modern languages are seen as losers but I guess it may differ in the UK; around here having a master's degree is a must to be considered human haha and it also has to be in a respected STEM subject or everyone thinks you're lazy and went to uni because you're scared of adult life.

So yeah, that said :biggrin: I love languages personally and would love to learn as many as possible (currently only know 3 including my native language, so that's kind of lame...). However, I wouldn't really like to base my future career plans on foreign languages... Don't know, if I was to study in my country I'd probably only take up a language as a second degree though you probably don't have that option because of the university fees. I'd go for French + whatever to keep your options open.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending