The Student Room Group

University friends who spent most of their time at their homes

It is difficult because I have made some good friends who I met on my course and I enjoy spending time when them. However most of them only stay one night a week and commute in for the days that we have to be in. I feel lonely because I stay at uni and only go home when we have holiday breaks. Therefore because they go back to their homes all the time I haven't got much of a social life in terms of doing things outside of uni. I guess you can't help making friends with people you get along with but what can you do if they are not here? It is getting me down and I don't know what to do.

If anyone has been in my position or could give me some advice it would be appreciated.
Hi,

I haven't been in yur situation but thought I'd talk to you anyway. It kind of sucks that all your friends go home after lectures and things :frown: But don't put it down to 'not being able to help making friends you get along with' - it's awesome that at least you have some great friends at uni already, whereas most people take quite a long time to build up people which they could call good friends!

There are so many ways to get involved at uni - you could join a society or sports club? A great opportunity to meet new people. Will be scary at first, perhaps awkward at the start but I think it will be worth it. What about flat mates or house-mates that you could get to know better? You could see these as potentials to broaden your network and as an opportunity to diversify the people you talk to, and a way to make your day a bit more interesting. Don't put pressure on yourself to make new friends right away, but by doing some new stuff you enjoy hopefully it should come it time :smile:

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending