The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Biology Coursework/Issue Report - example

Hi. Seeing as I've seen quite a few threads about how to deal with the Edexcel Biology AS coursework I thought I'd make this to help out. I got 39/40 raw marks which equated to 58/60 UMS. I will post the main body of the report but not include images or references. This is because the main idea here is to give people ideas on how to structure it and what kind of things to include in each section.

One thing to note is your referencing. You should use Harvard Referencing (Google how to do this). You also need to include one or two non-web based sources which I believe gains you one mark. This can be done by taking a source from a scientific journal and referencing it in such a way that it looks like a non-web based source. For example, I found a paper from the British Medical Journal website and referenced it as a non-web based source as follows :

Name of author,Title of paper, (name of journal) 2003; 326:1423 (random numbers from the abstract), page 3, Published 23 June 2003

For the web based references:

Name of website, author, date accessed by you(Don't forget that part!)

More things to consider:

Reference absolutely everything.

Make sure any biological processes/mechanisms are written to and beyond A-Level standard, don't be afraid to go quite in depth.

Explain why your chosen solution is better than the alternatives, using data to support the statement.

Spoiler

I've also not included the evaluation of references or name of authors throughout (the idea is to find these for yourself) or images/diagrams in order to stop people from taking too much "inspiration" from this. There's a mark for having an image on each page I believe. I'll make a post later on, on how to evaluate your references. A lot of this can be literally made up on the spot in my opinion, like writing things like "it's reliable because a Doctor carried out the study, we can see this because the have M.D in their name" or some other rubbish like that.

Please don't copy and past any of this. You'll be flagged for plagiarism.

Good luck :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get more responses. :redface: Hopefully someone will be able to get back to you :h:
Reply 2
Thank you for this I was literally about to drop out of college because I thought I'd fail lol.
Do you have anymore tips? Like key things/points to include? My teacher didn't really offer much help so I don't even know what I'm supposed to write.
By the way what is meant by biological processes of the solution to the problem?
Reply 3
Original post by Pine3278
Thank you for this I was literally about to drop out of college because I thought I'd fail lol.
Do you have anymore tips? Like key things/points to include? My teacher didn't really offer much help so I don't even know what I'm supposed to write.
By the way what is meant by biological processes of the solution to the problem?

So I wrote about the biochemistry behind drugs, and how they work. For example things like how statins (my chosen solution) block certain metabolic pathways and prevent an enzyme from being synthesized etc
Reply 4
Original post by TajwarC
So I wrote about the biochemistry behind drugs, and how they work. For example things like how statins (my chosen solution) block certain metabolic pathways and prevent an enzyme from being synthesized etc

Oh thank you that was really helpful in writing about epilepsy and the use of anti epileptic drugs as my main treatment but I wasn't sure if I should write about how exactly the drugs work but now I will thanks :smile:
Reply 5
Hello there, sorry to be of nuisance but I have a few questions if you wouldn't mind answering please.

For the "Describe the biological methods and processes involved in producing data or solutions to problems or questions relevant to a visit made or issue researched" do we have to describe research into the solution? How long should this be and how should we be doing this?

What an absolute struggle, thanks for your thread by the way!
Reply 6
Original post by Romanoff
Hello there, sorry to be of nuisance but I have a few questions if you wouldn't mind answering please.

For the "Describe the biological methods and processes involved in producing data or solutions to problems or questions relevant to a visit made or issue researched" do we have to describe research into the solution? How long should this be and how should we be doing this?

What an absolute struggle, thanks for your thread by the way!

I think that point is in terms of your chosen solution (the methods and processes involved in solutions to problems). You need to be able to talk about it in quite a bit of detail, at least to A-Level standard. So for example with my statins I talked about how they block certain metabolic pathways and all the names of the enzymes and how they work, etc. Make sure to include diagrams where possible.

Talking about the research is useful when you're evaluating the references. For example research done with more trials is going to me more reliable (obviously go into more detail, stating figures you've found). Also talking about who does the research is important, basically whose research/data would be most reliable, and why.

In terms of length I can't really comment because the chosen solution will be different to mine therefore may require more or less explanation, just make sure you go into enough detail

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by TajwarC
Hi. Seeing as I've seen quite a few threads about how to deal with the Edexcel Biology AS coursework I thought I'd make this to help out. I got 39/40 raw marks which equated to 58/60 UMS. I will post the main body of the report but not include images or references. This is because the main idea here is to give people ideas on how to structure it and what kind of things to include in each section.

One thing to note is your referencing. You should use Harvard Referencing (Google how to do this). You also need to include one or two non-web based sources which I believe gains you one mark. This can be done by taking a source from a scientific journal and referencing it in such a way that it looks like a non-web based source. For example, I found a paper from the British Medical Journal website and referenced it as a non-web based source as follows :

Name of author,Title of paper, (name of journal) 2003; 326:1423 (random numbers from the abstract), page 3, Published 23 June 2003

For the web based references:

Name of website, author, date accessed by youPlease don't copy and past any of this. You'll be flagged for plagiarism.

Good luck :smile:

Hi, sorry to revive an old thread. I'm doing the AS coursework on the same topic as yours but when in the specification it says "Discuss alternative views or solutions for implications ofthe biology encountered within the context of the visit orissue" Could you talk about other drugs that work similar to Statins such as antihypertensive, antiplatelet drugs etc?
Reply 8
Original post by TrewKazim
Hi, sorry to revive an old thread. I'm doing the AS coursework on the same topic as yours but when in the specification it says "Discuss alternative views or solutions for implications ofthe biology encountered within the context of the visit orissue" Could you talk about other drugs that work similar to Statins such as antihypertensive, antiplatelet drugs etc?

Exactly that, yes. If you can find data to suggest that your chosen solution is better than the alternatives that would be great; my teacher emphasized that we do that as there's marks for it (it's been over 2 years however so I don't really remember much!)
Original post by TajwarC
Exactly that, yes. If you can find data to suggest that your chosen solution is better than the alternatives that would be great; my teacher emphasized that we do that as there's marks for it (it's been over 2 years however so I don't really remember much!)

Okay thanks bro :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending