The Student Room Group

Applying to Russel group universities, is it out of reach?

Scroll to see replies

I got BBC during my AS grades and I have offers from two russell group unis
Reply 21
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
I got BBC during my AS grades and I have offers from two russell group unis

Congratulations, what are you studying? If you don't mind me asking.
Original post by BIOCH3M
Congratulations, what are you studying? If you don't mind me asking.

Biotechnology. Applied for Surrey, Cardiff, Leeds, Aberdeen and York and I have offers from all except York (they have yet to reply).

What I was trying to say is that even if your GCSEs are a little lacklustre, if my BBC can convince unis of my worth, then you definitely can with AABB. There's much more to your application than just your grades, including how competitive your course is and your personal statement.

Best of luck!
Original post by Helloworld_95
Unless he had extenuating circumstances and predicted grades of AAA/AAB I kinda doubt that. And unless you're applying for med/vet/dent, they don't really look outside of grades, at most, having a good PS and standing out will only make a difference when you miss an offer by a lot (2-3 grades by a good margin) and they have to decide if it's worth admitting you despite that.

Oh actually, thinking about it, he did have extenuating circumstances. His mother passed away lol
Reply 24
With 3 A grades plus a fourth subject you can apply pretty much anywhere, even some Oxbridge courses if you want.
Original post by Incubator
Only one of your chosen Uni's' is an RG though... Your 'BBC' is what the average candidate applying for those Uni's, typically has.

What are you talking about? leeds, york and Cardiff are all RG unis and they average at AAB/ABB, for science courses at least
(edited 9 years ago)
I get far worse than you and got offers from UCL and Durham.
Reply 27
Original post by Noodlzzz
I get far worse than you and got offers from UCL and Durham.

For what subject?
Original post by BIOCH3M
For what subject?

Psychology.
Reply 29
Psychology.

That's great! What grades did you get if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by BIOCH3M
That's great! What grades did you get if you don't mind me asking?

GCSE 6A 3B 2C

A-level A*A*A*a*a
I got an offer for a RG university with AABBC Scottish Highers 1st sitting. I was wondering what this converts to in English grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
GCSE 6A 3B 2C

A-level A*A*A*a*a

Holy crap,

So you took 5 AS levels, following 3 through to A2 to get 3A*?
Original post by BIOCH3M
Holy crap,

So you took 5 AS levels, following 3 through to A2 to get 3A*?

4 AS and and EPQ, 3 full A-level
Reply 34
4 AS and and EPQ, 3 full A-level

WOW, what subjects did you get your grades in. I am actually quite shocked... 3 A*!
Original post by BIOCH3M
WOW, what subjects did you get your grades in. I am actually quite shocked... 3 A*!

Psych, Sociology, philosophy and ethics
Reply 36
Psych, Sociology, philosophy and ethics

One last question, sorry to bombard you with questions! My sister is taking philosophy and ethics, what technique did you use to get an an A* as she is struggling. Also were you on OCR? :-)
Original post by BIOCH3M
One last question, sorry to bombard you with questions! My sister is taking philosophy and ethics, what technique did you use to get an an A* as she is struggling. Also were you on OCR? :-)

I did OCR.

Defining terms is important and so is being critical of every point you make.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending