The Student Room Group

Do you agree every possible career is boring?

I mean who really would find investment banking enjoyable.. some might say being a programmer is fun and they enjoy coding but in the real world it's very stressful and stress can't be enjoyable. So to conclude this academic article everyone on here is destined to be corporate slaves in white collar industries. You may even land a job paying 80k but if you think it won't cause you unbelievable stress you are wrong. And all those things you but with your money will be here rotting away and people will forget you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Well, get a job you enjoy then....

I doubt many astronauts or fighter pilots find there job boring.

Any job can be enjoyable by the right person.
That is hardly every possible job you've covered there...

I mean I'm getting paid to go to Kenya and dart and collar African Wild Dogs. I wouldn't call that boring...
Reply 3
Not boring but stressful. I think most people would rather win the lottery, i mean it's all very well and good getting a job you enjoy, but I think there are bad parts to every job and that's why you get paid to do them. There are always going to be days where you would rather stay in bed/ see your family/ do something else but you have to go to work for the money.
Reply 4
lol "academic article".
What academic article?

and no. Stressful potentially, boring not a chance, if you find what you're doing interesting, it doesn't matter how stressful it is, you'll still enjoy it.
Reply 6
I'm waiting for acceptance into the RAF, (as an Air Traffic Controller), yes it's stressful, yes it will be hard work, but I love the idea of all that. Always aimed to end up with a job that I love! ...a job that you don't enjoy just seems like a waste to me..
A lot of people enjoy a bit of stress, just a case of matching your stress tolerance to your job.
I want to be a physicist more than anything, conducting my own research and inspiring the next generation of scientists. Any other job is insufficient, and yes, boring.
Working with children is never boring. :h:
Original post by Rugar Rell
I mean who really would find investment banking enjoyable.. some might say being a programmer is fun and they enjoy coding but in the real world it's very stressful and stress can't be enjoyable. So to conclude this academic article everyone on here is destined to be corporate slaves in white collar industries. You may even land a job paying 80k but if you think it won't cause you unbelievable stress you are wrong. And all those things you but with your money will be here rotting away and people will forget you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

More interesting than being on the dole for the rest of your life and gaining ten stone :P

If you don't have a good career how will you get the money to enjoy yourself?
Reply 11
Every job will have boring parts and stressful parts to it, but that doesn't mean it is boring in general.
I disagree. There are many jobs I expect that for those in them there is enjoyment and satisfaction. In a work environment there can also be the enjoyment you find with some of the people you work with, some of whom can become friends.
Everything can turn boring, if you're doing the same job for a long time. But then you gotta remember how awesome it is, and what got you to want it in the first place. Turns out, you gotta love what you do. Simple. Won't be boring at all.
Original post by AlexF389
I'm waiting for acceptance into the RAF, (as an Air Traffic Controller), yes it's stressful, yes it will be hard work, but I love the idea of all that. Always aimed to end up with a job that I love! ...a job that you don't enjoy just seems like a waste to me..

Amazing! I wish you all the best mate!! :biggrin:
Even the most exciting jobs are going to have boring and repetitive elements. It's about finding something that you enjoy on the whole. Feeling like you're wasting your time in your job is a horrible feeling.
Original post by redferry
That is hardly every possible job you've covered there...

I mean I'm getting paid to go to Kenya and dart and collar African Wild Dogs. I wouldn't call that boring...

wow that sounds amazing :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Odd socks
wow that sounds amazing :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well a lot of it is data analysis but don't tell OP that :wink:
Reply 18
y'all toasting in a roll bread
(edited 9 years ago)
The job and career always starts out enjoyable because people have a view which borders on 'fantasy not reality.

Stress is manageable for a time, if you are in control. When things get out of hand for prolonged periods is when the toll is paid. Everything is fine until you start moving up the 'tree' to earn a higher salary and the job changes out of all recognition with your boss demanding you do things his way or no way or personalities clash and tensions arise.

The job that you start with early in a career will never stay the same for very long - guaranteed.

Quick Reply

Latest