The Student Room Group

How did the first humans get to America?

I was reading an article last night that mentioned that humans may have came to America 50,000 years ago.

But then I started thinking where did the humans come from? And how did they travel the vast waters to get there that many years ago?

Scientists have found items, such as stone arrow heads, in Savannah River in Allendale County. So these were primitive beings, not the type to building huge boats.

How did early humans travel those distances to locate it in a random spot? Allendale County isn't exactly "on the coast" so they still travelled a distance from the water. Why?

Sorry if this is a silly question.
Reply 1
I thought they went East across Asia and Russia and then into America through the little bit between Russia and Alaska. Correct me if I'm wrong though, I'm no historian!
Reply 2
As the previous person said they went through the Bering Strait.
I think the drifting of Pangaea. Because on each continent there were inhabitants, doesn't necessarily mean they went there, just they ended up when the continents were separating. Might be wrong as this is my own assumption :P
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Gott
According to about 40% of them our Lord picked man up in his mighty right hand and put him there

According to who?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah, I remember learning about Pangaea at school. Is Pangaea the only theory?
Only logical one to me. :/
Original post by Imperion
I think the drifting of Pangaea. Because on each continent there were inhabitants, doesn't necessarily mean they went there, just they ended up when the continents were separating. Might be wrong as this is my own assumption :P

Don't think so. That happened millions of years ago did it not? Maybe our ancestors ancestors got separated and evolved differently.

Haven't they found strange Hobbit like fossils on various islands around Papua New Guinea?
Reply 10
Original post by Imperion

Pangea broke up 240 Million years ago. Humans have only been around for 4 million. As others have said there used to be a land bridge between Russia and Alaska which they crossed.
They were hand crafted by a giant space fairy then placed there like chess pieces. Quite simple really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The main theory is most came using the land link from eastern asia/Russian.

Another possibility was the ice shelf helping Europeans travel to the america's during the ice age. Which in theory could of been done even with the most primitive canoe's or boats, seeing they would pretty much hug to the coast of the ice sheet akin to a child hugging the side of a swimming pool. The ice sheet itself at it's greatest extent would of connected spain/france to somewhere around modern day Massachusetts. It's not the most widely accepted theory, but it helps explain certain DNA found mostly in India, Europe and North-east America (along with certain tool making practices).
Original post by cascadingstylez
I was reading an article last night that mentioned that humans may have came to America 50,000 years ago.

But then I started thinking where did the humans come from? And how did they travel the vast waters to get there that many years ago?

Scientists have found items, such as stone arrow heads, in Savannah River in Allendale County. So these were primitive beings, not the type to building huge boats.

How did early humans travel those distances to locate it in a random spot? Allendale County isn't exactly "on the coast" so they still travelled a distance from the water. Why?

Sorry if this is a silly question.

Theres evidence they traveled by boat i was watching a yt video on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fascinating thread, I guessed right before reading the answers...... whoop for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending