The Student Room Group

Help on a maths question

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsmaths
Yes but u couldve just done -2x-3/4=3/2 so a^3/2 but yh thats aroota.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool, so what is the final answer of the whole question?
2 root 2, a root a?
Original post by Chittesh14
Cool, so what is the final answer of the whole question?
2 root 2, a root a?

Yep i think so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep i think so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, so my brother was correct! He was just partly confused as i misguided him lol. He got 2 root 2, a root a aswell. Also, I will ask him this too and I want to ask you aswell if you don't mind, why does the a have to be calculated seperately. Why can't we just do 1/1/4a^-2 = 4a^2 and then work out from there (4a^2)^3/4.

Why do you have to work them out both seperately?
Thanks, so my brother was correct! He was just partly confused as i misguided him lol. He got 2 root 2, a root a aswell. Also, I will ask him this too and I want to ask you aswell if you don't mind, why does the a have to be calculated seperately. Why can't we just do 1/1/4a^-2 = 4a^2 and then work out from there (4a^2)^3/4.

Well each has to be calculated but I only separated the number out to demonstrate the invalidity of your 16
Original post by TenOfThem
Well each has to be calculated but I only separated the number out to demonstrate the invalidity of your 16

Oh right. So usually you should seperate out the number and the term to work out the real answer, or you could be misunderstood and come up with a different answer.

You dont. You can just do it together.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You dont. You can just do it together.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't understand, if you do it all together, how will it work out. That is basically doing 1/4(1/a^2) = 1/4a^2.
If you then do (1/4a^2)^-3/4 it becomes 1/1/4a^2 = 1/4a^2
(1/4a^2)^3/4 = fourth root of (1/4a^2) = root a / root 2
if u cube it then a root a / 2 root 2 or other way round. wow ur excellent dude thanks :biggrin:.
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't understand, if you do it all together, how will it work out. That is basically doing 1/4(1/a^2) = 1/4a^2.
If you then do (1/4a^2)^-3/4 it becomes 1/1/4a^2 = 1/4a^2
(1/4a^2)^3/4 = fourth root of (1/4a^2) = root a / root 2
if u cube it then a root a / 2 root 2 or other way round. wow ur excellent dude thanks :biggrin:.

Have you done C1?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you done C1?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, I'm gcse, year 10.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest